Greetings from México.

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
AdriánMX

Greetings from México.

Post by AdriánMX »

Good evening gentlemen!

My name is Adrián and i'm a new SMF member... less so to traditional wetshaving (just doing it the wrong way) and with an addiction/obsession out of control in less than 2 months!(my first vintage was purchased on April 13th). I'm here to learn from all of you guys, specifically HOW you manage to control your RAD! [-o<

Greetings from Monterrey!
CMur12

Re: Greetings from México.

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to our little community, Adrián! Glad to have you join us.

Sorry about the RAD. There is no known cure that I am aware of! :wink:

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

Welcome, Adrian. RAD is hard to cure. I speak from experience. My only suggestion is that you use each razor you aquire for a long enough time to determine if it is giving you the shave you desire. If so, stick with it! Maybe you will get lucky and find the "right razor" early in your search.
Best regards,

Basil
AdriánMX

Post by AdriánMX »

CMur12 wrote:Welcome to our little community, Adrián! Glad to have you join us.

Sorry about the RAD. There is no known cure that I am aware of! :wink:

- Murray
Thank you Murray! As for the cure, someone told me about an antique french razor that uses a SE Slant Blade that could help to to get rid of my RAD.... As far as i remember the brand (or nickname) for this miraculous is "La Guillotine", but i'm fearing it will give me a very agressive shave... :shock: I'd prefer a Le Coq razor :D
AdriánMX

Post by AdriánMX »

pausted wrote:Welcome, Adrian. RAD is hard to cure. I speak from experience. My only suggestion is that you use each razor you aquire for a long enough time to determine if it is giving you the shave you desire. If so, stick with it! Maybe you will get lucky and find the "right razor" early in your search.
Thank you Basil, this is a really great advice i'll follow for sure. Do you recommend me to do the same with the blades? Like using one razor for a month and try the same brand of blades for the same period of time?

Kind regards...
pausted

Post by pausted »

Yes. You should use a blade long enough to determine whether or not it is giving you a comfortable, smooth shave. If you constantly change razor and blades you will rapidly lose track of your goal. If you get a bad shave, you don't know for sure whether the razor or the blade was at fault. Using the same razor and blade for a longer period allows you to make sound decisions regarding that particular combination. Then you can move on to another blade and compare results. Does that make sense?
Best regards,

Basil
dwald

Post by dwald »

Adrian,

I settled long ago on primarily using Feather blades in Dad's old 1960s Schick Krona.

Recently, Grandfather's 1955 Super Speed Red Tip, long considered lost, turned up. Feathers are a bit much in this razor.

So, like you, I'm doing blade trials, which takes some discipline. I've been trying Russian blades from the same factory--Voskhod, Ladas, Rapira, etc. Nothing plainly horrible, yet, which makes things more difficult. :D

With experience, you'll know what absolutely isn't working--tugging, pulling, burning, too dull, too sharp.
BPman

Post by BPman »

Please try to find some of the old Gillette Mejorado blades down there if you can. They were made in Brazil I believe and some say they were a good blade.