the blade vs. electric shaving

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
lunfardi

the blade vs. electric shaving

Post by lunfardi »

between manual razors even those that are battery powered and those self cleaning electric shavers that can be used with foam or gel while in the shower, which one of the two would ultimately give the closest shave????????????????????????????????????????? 25 million dollar question. can you guys tell me. rsvp. thank you.
ShadowsDad

Re: the blade vs. electric shaving

Post by ShadowsDad »

I only remember what I got decades ago with a Phillips (Norelco) vs what I get today. The shave with the Phillips was OK, but it would tear out the odd whisker and I'd get an ingrown. But it wasn't a steady thing and it was convenient. It also wasn't done in the shower or with gel.

With my old cartridges, and I stopped climbing the cartridge evolutionary ladder when there were 2 blades in the things, I got good shaves. The shaves were very close and I had no complaints from the closeness. But the way they worked ALWAYS left me with ingrowns if I even thought of going against the grain to get the closest shave. That was because it was actually shaving below the skin level.

Contrasting that with shaving with a blade, I get just as close a shave, but I don't get ingrowns. I also enjoy the process more and IMO that needs to be factored in. I didn't hate shaving with the Phillips, but I did with cart's. I actually enjoy shaving with a brush and blade.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Of course, this is a matter of opinion. My current favorites are disposables. One is the Gillette Guard that I get on ebay. It is imported from India and has a built-in comb that makes it unusually safe and non-irritating. The other is the Schick Hydro 5 which is a battery powered vibrating razor. It has a built-in lubricating strip that is very effective and because of the many blades it lies flat on the face and is also one of the safest razors I have ever tried. The Gillette Guard will get you all the way to bbs smooth with much polishing. The Hydro less so, I think because the many blades make contact less certain than the one blade Guard.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd probably get a Norelco electric if I had to give up the blade. I think the shave would be passable, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as close and smooth.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have an old Braun foil-type razor (10 - 12 years old) that works about as well as a blade shave. It is from before the self-cleaning models. Rotary-type shavers, like the Philishave/Norelco, don't work for me at all. I shave with a razor and brush because I want to; not because I need to.

I still use the electric when I go visiting, so as not to hog someone else's bathroom, and I often take it when I travel. Lately, I've even been using it when I have felt too lazy for a full wetshave.

I have no experience with the newer electrics you mention.

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I had to stop wetshaving for eight months during chemo as my platelets were so low I would bleed if you stared at me. I used a Philips/Norelco rotary and it gave me the shave I get with a single with-grain pass ie acceptable in looks but not smooth to the touch. That kind of chemo (fludarabine, cyclophosphamide and rituximab) doesn't make your hair fall out, just thins it. Shaving won't be an issue with second line treatments when I relapse, as I'll be as bald as a coot!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

As with all these questions about what gives the "best" shave, everyone has a different opinion. I've only got one "fact" about different razors / shaving methods to share: all razors and electrics cut beard hair well enough to prevent men from growing a beard. Straight-razor, Single-edge, Double-edge, twin-blade cartridge, multi-blade cartridge, disposable razors, foil electric, rotary electric . . .they all work.

You just have to find out what's best for you.

Speaking for myself, personally, being a sample of "one" -- I own a couple of Braun foil shavers, including a wet-dry model. I find that the shave from a Braun is fully the equal of a blade as regards closeness, and is really quite comfortable, especially if I use it wet with lather. However, for a number of personal reasons, I primarily use a double-edge razor (although I often quickly touch-up a couple of rough and difficult spots using my Braun at the end of my DE shave). Partly because of the more exfoliating properties of the DE, I find that my skin does better if I shave with a DE instead of my electric, but that's not to say it shaves closer or even "better." DE is just a better overall choice than an electric for daily shaving, for me, in my opinion, as regards my face.

Still, for travel and also on "lazy" days, I can honestly say that my Braun does just fine.

If you are considering getting a wet-dry shaver, most of them give you a 30 or 60 day trial period, so you can just return it and get your money back if you don't like it. If you have the funds, you might opt for the Braun Model 9-9093s (about $250 in the USA), which is a wet-or-dry shaver and is one the 9-Series, the current top-of-the-line for Braun shavers. However, a perfectly good alternative, and much more reasonably priced (about $60 in the USA) is the Braun model 3-340s, which (again) is a wet-or-dry shaver. The 9 Series undoubtedly shaves somewhat faster that the 3-Series, but I doubt it's either closer or more comfortable (My experience and personal opinion, formed over many years of shaving with various models of Braun electric shavers, is that all Brauns, across the whole product range, achieve the same level of closeness. I feel that the higher-end models just do so more quietly, quickly, with more features, etc.)

By the way -- again just my personal opinion -- if you're going to use it as a wet electric shaver, I think it's a waste of space and money to get the cleaning unit. Just rinse it out under running water at the end of the shave -- done.

Anyway, don't expect anyone to give you the "ultimate truth" or "final word" on the whole question of electric vs. blade shaving. You pretty much just have to try these things for yourself, and see what you like best.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Blade (any) shave me closer than electric (any).
Regards,
Squire
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

QED . . . results vary by individual. Personal trial-and-error would appear to be the only path forward!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

BeatlesFan wrote:QED . . . results vary by individual. Personal trial-and-error would appear to be the only path forward!
I agree. We have all had to buy and try to find the right brush, razor, blade, soap, etc for each of us, as it has been clearly demonstrated here (and on all the other fora/forums) that one "size" doesn't fit all. Most of us have spent a lot of money trying out different tools and supplies. It only makes sense that the same will apply to electric shavers. Rotary shavers work for some of us, while the foil types work for others. You can read reviews, but ultimately, it will be what works for you. Good luck to the OP! I'm sure the right machine for you is out there.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

I had mentioned earlier that I'd probably get a Norelco. But after reading other posts and checking a ton of reviews, I'd like to try one of the waterproof Brauns that work with shaving cream lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

if your going to spend 100$ on an electric shaver that can get wet, so you can use 30$ shaving cream with it......

why not skip the electric razor, buy yourself a really really really really nice badger brush, save 10$$ and buy yourself some beer
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Personal preference. Approximately 1/4 of men prefer electric, for a variety of reasons. Many men find them faster. They certainly aren't going to nick or cut you. As an alternative to $4/blade cartridges, many men find them economical. Older gents with unsteady hands often favor electric over blade. Some of us find the shave quality is comparable to a blade.

All in all, it's a reasonable choice, I'd say.

As I mentioned above, I shave wet with a Braun electric shaver when I'm feeling unmotivated or just for a change of pace, and I get a DFS from it. IMO, it's silly to classify electric shavers as inferior, or lower down in some metaphysical shaving hierarchy in which open and/or safety razors are situated at the top, no doubt being cradled in the right hand of God (although, if you believe the artists, He isn't making much use of ANY shaving implement or device!). Electric shavers are just a different means to the same end, to wit a smooth and comfortable shave. Not worse, just different. Anyone who is dissatisfied with electrics needn't make use of them. Others find them practical, either for occasional or daily use.

Vive la différence !
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Sorry to bump my previous posting but I thought of a couple of supplementary points:

1) For those of us with facial hair (moustaches, sideburns, goatees, whatever), it's very helpful to have a trimmer right there in your hand while shaving. Of course, with blade shaving you can always pick up a trimmer and cut your whiskers AFTER you finish with the blade. But (in my experience and because I'm a lazy sod) I find in the real world I just don't do that nearly as often. So my 'stache is habitually better groomed when I "go electric" as opposed to times when I'm habitually in blade mode. May not matter to everyone, but it does to me.

2) Everyone at SMF is familiar with the whole "gradual beard reduction" technique, in which one progresses from WTG, to XTG and (maybe) to ATG (though I myself, in common with some others with sensitive skin, often omit the ATG pass). With an electric shaver, it's definitely handy to just start mowing directly into the grain, without all the multi-directional, gradual stuff.

Incidentally, none of this should be interpreted as any kind of evangelization for electric razors. I just think there's a reason some men find them more suitable, and they really do have some of these various things going for them (no nicks, better for older gents with shaky hands, possibly faster, integrated trimmer, etc.) But obviously I'm also a big DE fan, and think DEs are just wonderful shaving tools. Again, vive la différence !