Changes in shaving due to necessity

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Changes in shaving due to necessity

Post by brothers »

As time goes by, it's natural that we'll make changes in how we shave and the stuff we use to shave with. I'm curious about the changes we may feel required to make due to circumstances such as health, work, lifestyle, finances, aging, and etc. For example, in my case, I like to shave and I often wonder what could happen to make me just give it up one day, or dramatically alter the whole process overnight. I see a lot of white-headed or bald and scruffy old guys running around that cause me to begin to think about it. What can we expect when things change? Will there come a time when a guy might lose all interest and stop visiting the shaving forums altogether because his shaving priorities have been adjusted/modified to the point of no return?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Re: Changes in shaving due to necessity

Post by slackskin »

Well, Gary, I live in a retirement community -- a youngster of 71 compared to the average age which I would guess is 80+. There are a lot of bald / white-hairs here. The great majority are actually well shaven and take pretty good care of themselves, with fairly few scruffy elder gents. Of course, the population in the adjacent skilled nursing facility and memory care unit would be expected to be different. So maybe the answer is that it depends on the individual guy and where he is in his journey through life.
owenm

Post by owenm »

slackskin wrote:Well, Gary, I live in a retirement community -- a youngster of 71 compared to the average age which I would guess is 80+. There are a lot of bald / white-hairs here. The great majority are actually well shaven and take pretty good care of themselves, with fairly few scruffy elder gents.
I'd be interested to find out what other people think but my experience has been that "keeping up appearances" is a very powerful thing as a way of maintaining self determination - my father wanted to keep shaving himself even though he was paralysed down one side due to illness and even used an electric shaving to do it up until about a week before he died, using his 'wrong' hand. I hope I can keep on doing it as long as possible, personally!
Cheers,
Owen
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

or bald and scruffy old guys running around
why you talking about me. gary?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant imagine a reason (or what it would be like) not to shave......it isnt even the 'clean' face that matters as much as the whole process; picking a razor, a blade, the brush, the cream / soap, building a lather. It's the part of the day that is selfishly all 'you' and what a treasure of a time it is!!!!!!

clive

p.s. and btw I dont shave on fridays and so bald and scruffy it is and fu to anyone that has nasty things to say about it LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:
or bald and scruffy old guys running around
why you talking about me. gary?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant imagine a reason (or what it would be like) not to shave......it isnt even the 'clean' face that matters as much as the whole process; picking a razor, a blade, the brush, the cream / soap, building a lather. It's the part of the day that is selfishly all 'you' and what a treasure of a time it is!!!!!!

clive

p.s. and btw I dont shave on fridays and so bald and scruffy it is and fu to anyone that has nasty things to say about it LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOL :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I shave every day come hell or high water. The only time I changed my shaving habits was in 2009 when I underwent chemotherapy. For the first while I shaved with an electric razor on the advice of my oncologist, but after a few chemo sessions I didn't have to shave at all. Once my beard started to grow back I started wet shaving daily. To me there is nothing worse than to see a chap getting on in years with several days of stubble; I'm 69 BTW. Similarly, for working chaps who don't shave on the weekend just because they're not going to work. My father (former army officer) was a real stickler for a well groomed appearance including a daily shave, polished shoes, pressed shirt, etc. and I guess it rubbed off on me. He was adamant that a real gentleman shaved himself and knew how to polish his shoes and iron his shirt and trousers. His lessons have stood me in good stead particularly when I did a brief stint in the army for basic training. My company's CSM was a real SOB when it came to being clean shaven and our kit wrinkle-free on the parade ground. Old habits die hard; I never intend to forget what my father and the army taught me about being properly turned out. These guys with their GQ stubble and skinny suits make me cringe; they probably don't own mirrors.
Bryan
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Rufus reminds me of the old USMC saying "my uncle (Uncle Sam) taught me to dress." :D

As to the earlier comment that "keeping up appearances" relates to self-determination, I wholeheartedly agree. Even if we are no longer as studly as were at age 25, being well groomed and dressing well reinforces the idea that we are still in charge of our lives. As a man thinketh, so is he -- which is not only the title of a book, but a great motto for living our lives. I will get off the soap box now!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary those guys were probably scruffy before they got old.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Right! :) Those are the guys who have no intention of changing a thing about their shaving/non-shaving practices.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

For me, regardless of the tools and methods used, I irritate the skin when I shave, and though it has always been so, it seems to get worse with age. I shave at night and I still experience some burn in the morning when I shower. This is why I shave Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights: The time off in between shaves is necessary for my skin to recover.

When I use an electric shaver, I experience more immediate irritation, but I seem to recover more quickly. When shaving with a blade, I get much better protection of the skin when I use Oliveology than I do with my best lather (which is a disappointment, as I have a lifetime supply of shaving soap).

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Well, I'm 85 close to 86, I try to shave regularly, but if I have an early morning appointment I skip shaving to make time for other things. I then pick up the shaving routine. What changed for me was that I no longer find the care and effort needed to shave with a DE blade, what with wrinkles, loose skin, et gives me much pleasure. I try to keep up the rotation just so I don't forget how, but now I prefer safer razors that let me relax while I shave. I don't think I get any more nicks or scrapes now, but I hate it when I have to stop and use a styptic pencil.
Ouchmychin (Pete)