What starter set would you recommend now?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
owenm

What starter set would you recommend now?

Post by owenm »

I've been looking around the B&M stores recently as I've needed to do a bit of shopping for various (child related) things. It occurred to me that compared to when I started out there's still a reasonable amount of stuff in the stores when it comes to creams, soaps and even brushes - although mostly boar, but there's a distinct lack of DE razors now. You used to be able to get the Wilkinson Classic and a Knack-type razor from Boots, but now, mostly nothing.

So, I put together this starter set from Connaught - I've not tried any of the below, except the cream - what do you think? Can you get everything you'd need locally or would you need to go onto the web? What would be your choices online?

Omega S-Brush Black
Lord L6
10 Personna Platinum Chrome (or the Lord blades that come with the razor, but I don't know what they're like).
Proraso (any scent)

This comes to £20.52. You could substitute Palmolive or Erasmic Cream to save a bit more money, or even the substitute in the stick, but I think that cream is easier for a newbie.
Cheers,
Owen
brothers

Re: What starter set would you recommend now?

Post by brothers »

Owen, for a starter kit, it appears to be as good as any.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Owen and Gary -

Going the brick and mortar route around here, we can get what appears to be rebadged Weishi razors, Israeli Personna blades under the store's brand, and Brazilian Gillette blades. These blades are priced fairly high, however. Otherwise, it's all ordered online.

My proposed starter kit, for a little more than yours, Owen:

Merkur Progress
Blades (so many to choose from)
Semogue 1305 boar brush (With my current lathering style, this brush works better for me than any other.)
Valobra Shave Stick

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Murray, don't you think that a shave stick would be a bit much for a starter? Maybe add as a second choice or with a cream. I know for myself, even today after decades of brush and soap use, a shave stick is intimidating enough that Ive never used one :oops:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:Murray, don't you think that a shave stick would be a bit much for a starter? Maybe add as a second choice or with a cream. I know for myself, even today after decades of brush and soap use, a shave stick is intimidating enough that Ive never used one :oops:

clive
Based on my experience with shave sticks I'm surprised that you are intimidated by them. I find that I can get a better lather more easily from a shave stick than I can from a puck of soap. I wet my face and rub the shave stick directly on my face and lather up with one of my 33 brushes. Because of my success with applying the shave stick this way I've taken to rubbing my puck of MWF directly on my face; I find this far easier than struggling to lather MWF in its bowl.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Clive and Bryan -

I suppose I could have recommended Valobra soap in the currently offered cake. I was just recommending soap, independent of how it's used. That being said, I don't use it as a shave stick, myself. The Valobra shave stick is just the right size to grate up and mash into a one-cup Pyrex bowl, allowing room to make the lather on top of the resulting cake. If I use a cake of the old Valobra-made AoS or the new Valobra soap in a cake, I grate up half of it into the Pyrex bowl.

- Murray
owenm

Post by owenm »

CMur12 wrote: I suppose I could have recommended Valobra soap in the currently offered cake. I was just recommending soap, independent of how it's used. That being said, I don't use it as a shave stick, myself. The Valobra shave stick is just the right size to grate up and mash into a one-cup Pyrex bowl, allowing room to make the lather on top of the resulting cake. If I use a cake of the old Valobra-made AoS or the new Valobra soap in a cake, I grate up half of it into the Pyrex bowl.
That's interesting - I remember when I started using soap cakes (after coming from creams), I found it hard to get the right amount of soap loaded onto the brush to get a good lather. Soap sticks worked better for me because you scrape off more soap when rubbing on the face. I'm guessing grating the soap will also have a similar effect because you're effectively increasing the surface area of the soap in the bowl...
Cheers,
Owen
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have an Omega Black and find that the bristles appear to be clipped to form the shape and they are scratchy. I would prefer a Razorock Monster synthetic that you can purchase online for $10 plus shipping. The tips are not scratchy and flex just right for me. I use a shave stick that was hard and hard to hold. Member Gary sent me a couple of empty deodorant stick cased that I was able to put the Arko stick into and shove tight. A little soaking to soften the business end made it a pleasure to use. Lots of lather after rubbing it on a wet face. Not as luxurious as my new Valobra puck, but better than most other soaps I have tried.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
owenm

Post by owenm »

Ouchmychin wrote:I have an Omega Black and find that the bristles appear to be clipped to form the shape and they are scratchy. I would prefer a Razorock Monster synthetic that you can purchase online for $10 plus shipping. The tips are not scratchy and flex just right for me. I use a shave stick that was hard and hard to hold. Member Gary sent me a couple of empty deodorant stick cased that I was able to put the Arko stick into and shove tight. A little soaking to soften the business end made it a pleasure to use. Lots of lather after rubbing it on a wet face. Not as luxurious as my new Valobra puck, but better than most other soaps I have tried.
Hi Pete, the one I was looking at is this one, apparently it has the new bristles, is it the same type as yours? I did look at the the Razorock synthetic now they're back in stock - but the shipping to the UK was double the price of the brush! If I could get one for £10-12 I'd be all over it, from what I hear from the reviews, they're good...
Cheers,
Owen
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

That is a different brush than mine. Mine has black bristles in the black handle. It was supposed to be best badger.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

owenm wrote: What would be your choices online?
For the newbie, I would recommend a simple and inexpensive starter kit from 2 of the many reputable on-line vendors:
From Connaught UK I would recommend
(1) Taylor's Shaving Cream in the fragrance most appealing to the user.
(2) DE razor blade sampler, either the "popular" or the "Gillette".
From Italian Barber Canada I would recommend
(1) Razorock Quick-Change DE razor
(2) Razorock Ivory 22 Synthetic shaving brush

If I were putting together a starter kit for a gift to a newcomer, I'd feel very comfortable with the above choices based on my own experiences over the years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

My starter kit.
Razor..
Gillette tech...ebay.. $15
Soap..walmart..Van der hagen luxury $3.88
Brush..Razorock synthetic. .. $9.99
Blades...ebay..sampler pack.. $4.99
Total... $34.00
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

what I like about OP's starter kit the most is that it comes from one source. nine thumbs up on that :D In the perfect world, to stop into a vendor's 'shop' and get a starter kit similar to what greg proposes, would be a great solution

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

Maybe I should put one together and see if anybody will buy it