What's your combo??

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

What's your combo??

Post by fallingwickets »

This is mine. Im curious to know how 'average' I am :lol:

right handed
right side of face gets lather first
left side gets razor first

share your combo gents!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Re: What's your combo??

Post by Rufus »

I'm right handed too, but I only face lather. I start to lather on my throat and then move across my neck from right to left. Next I move up to the right side of my face, then across my chin and then to the left side of my face and finally across my upper lip. I start shaving on the right side of my face and neck and the over to the left side of my face and neck, then do my chin and finally my upper lip. It took me a while to visualise all this, but as with any habit it eventually came to me.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm much like you, Clive.

I'm right-handed (though left-eyed).
(I only shave my neck.)
I lather the right side first for all three passes.
I start shaving on the left for the first two passes.
I start shaving on the right for the third pass.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, caused me to think . . .

I'm right handed.

When starting the face-lathering, I start with the brush on the left moving it to the right side.
First pass, the razor starts on the far left side moving down and to the right.
Second pass, the razor starts on the far right, moving down and to the left.
Third pass, the razor starts on the bottom, moving upward.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Right handed
Lather on left face then right
Shave right face first then left.
Best regards,

Basil
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for replying guys. Hopefully more will add to the list. Interesting, entertaining comments so far :D

clive
poppi

Post by poppi »

Right handed guy here. I face lather and start on the right side, move across the chin and then do the left side. I then proceed to lather the neck area. After all that, I go left to right to smooth our the lather.

Have to be careful too that I don't under lather the left side and over lather the right. Seems my dominant hand just wants to work on the dominant side more.
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Right handed, but left eye dominant. Lather the right side first, then across to the left. Start the razor on the right side and move across to the left. I even move right to left if I do a 3 pass. Only time I go left to right is the occasional 4 pass shave. Until now never really gave it much thought tho, interesting.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
J T

Post by J T »

Right-handed
Lather chin to right side back to chin to left side, down to neck left to right.
Shave right, left, center neck and chin. Moustache is edged during appropriate section being shaved.
~ Jack
Gene

Post by Gene »

I am pretty much like Bruce:

Right handed (left eye dominant).
Start lather on right side, move to left side, then chin.
First pass with razor - start on the right cheek, then left cheek, then right neck, then left neck.
Second pass (I only do two passes plus touch-up) is a bit different - I start right neck, then left neck, then right cheek and finally left cheek - all against the grain.

Then some water and final touch-up.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Interesting. That's three of us that are right-handed and left-eye dominant.

I didn't think it was a common combination.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It's quite common Murray. Same here. I deal with it all the time as a shooting instructor.

I face lather, and start shaving on my right side. On my relather I start on the left and move right. Second pass gets a start on the right yet again. Relather from left to right under the jaw and for the neck. That pass moves from left to right to the right.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Gene

Post by Gene »

ShadowsDad wrote:It's quite common Murray. Same here. I deal with it all the time as a shooting instructor.
Not trying to steal the thread, but I imagine that most folks who know this are also involved to some degree with firearms. It's how I learned about it myself.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

I learned as a young teenager that my right eye is dominant. Now that I'm much older, I often wish my left eye wasn't quite so non-dominant, but c'est la vie!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gene wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:It's quite common Murray. Same here. I deal with it all the time as a shooting instructor.
Not trying to steal the thread, but I imagine that most folks who know this are also involved to some degree with firearms. It's how I learned about it myself.
I picked up on it in photography. When I was a kid, though, I never could do well with archery - I could never get things lined up right. Even when it was a guided activity, whichever adult was in charge never seemed to observe that I had a problem.

- Murray
pausted

Post by pausted »

[quote="ShadowsDad"]It's quite common Murray. Same here. I deal with it all the time as a shooting instructor.

I am also right handed, left eye dominant. I have always shot skeet and trap off my left shoulder with a right handed shotgun. Not a problem when you get used to it.
Best regards,

Basil
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Right-Handed.
Right side of face gets lather first.
Right side of face gets shaved first.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice to see you out and about Danny :lol:

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. at some future point im going to have my partner excel all this info for prosperity.....maybe a budding shave doctorate could find it of use LOL
Drakhtul

Post by Drakhtul »

Chaps wrote:Right-Handed.
Right side of face gets lather first.
Right side of face gets shaved first.
Same here. Always starting from right side.
nie.