New guy here!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
djr

New guy here!

Post by djr »

Greetings, gents -

New guy here in Washington state. Fully-immersed into wet shaving for about a year and a half now and never going back to using a cartridge razor - ever. I've settled into a comfort zone as far what products I prefer. I only use one razor - my tried and true Merkur 34C with Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades (black label). Boring, I know, but I have found that my skin cannot handle experimenting with different razors and DE blades - I've found what works in terms of "hardware" and I'm sticking with it - I don't feel a need to try a bunch of different razors and blades anyway - just not necessary. I also use only 1 brush - my tried and true Savile Row 3824 (24mm silvertip). I've also never felt the need to try a bunch of different brushes. I've found what works and I'm sticking with it. I love my Savile Row 3824 - it's never shed a hair and it's just simply a workhorse. Absolutely awesome brush. Where I do like to kind of mix things up, is when it comes to my soaps. I pretty much exclusively use artisan soaps. My favorites are Cold River Soap Works, Mike's Natural Soaps, Barrister & Mann, and Soap Commander. Oh, and I do have a jar of Martin De Candre Fougere that I love (worth every penny). I don't have a huge collection by any means, but I love the soaps that I do have and it feels good to have settled into what works well for me.

I left a different wet shaving forum to come to this one. I know SMF has been around since the beginning - just seems more "cozy" here - which I really like.

Thanks!
CMur12

Re: New guy here!

Post by CMur12 »

Hi David, it's a pleasure to have you join us. All the more (for me), to welcome a fellow Washingtonian!

We have often talked about "fidelity" to a single or small number of products, and it looks like you embody that. It used to be that we bought a razor, blades, and whatever else from what was available at the drug store and we learned to make it work. I did a lot of experimenting during my early years here, but I'm largely settled on favorite tools and I have a lifetime supply of favorite expendables, so I don't buy much these days.

If you don't mind my asking, which part of Washington are you from? I grew up on the west side, but I have lived in Moses Lake, in the Columbia Basin, since 1983. Those of us east of the mountains refer to western Washington as "The Coast." ;-)

I look forward to your presence in our little community.

- Murray
djr

Post by djr »

CMur12 wrote:Hi David, it's a pleasure to have you join us. All the more (for me), to welcome a fellow Washingtonian!

We have often talked about "fidelity" to a single or small number of products, and it looks like you embody that. It used to be that we bought a razor, blades, and whatever else from what was available at the drug store and we learned to make it work. I did a lot of experimenting during my early years here, but I'm largely settled on favorite tools and I have a lifetime supply of favorite expendables, so I don't buy much these days.

If you don't mind my asking, which part of Washington are you from? I grew up on the west side, but I have lived in Moses Lake, in the Columbia Basin, since 1983. Those of us east of the mountains refer to western Washington as "The Coast." ;-)

I look forward to your presence in our little community.

- Murray
Great to meet you, and thank you for the warm welcome. I'm in Puyallup - not far from Tacoma.

Like you, I'm not buying too much stuff now as I seem to have dialed in what I really like. Definitely settled on my razor of choice and my brush of choice. I might pick up another brush (or several) in the future, just to have a little variety, but for the most part I'm set!

It started out that I would use creams exclusively. I had no interest in soaps at all. Then I discovered and opened my mind to the whole concept of artisan soap makers here in the US and haven't used a cream in months. I enjoy supporting the artisans who's soaps I enjoy.
Last edited by djr on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello David. Thanks for joining SMF. Looking forward to your participation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
djr

Post by djr »

brothers wrote:Hello David. Thanks for joining SMF. Looking forward to your participation.
Thanks, Gary!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to the forum!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Welcome and hello David. I live in Eastern Washington too (Pasco). When I first joined about 10 years ago I had an old Gillette DE razor that I hadn't used for years. I got hooked on the posts here and acquired a bunch of razors and hundred packs of various blades as well as half a dozen brushes and more than a dozen aftershaves and cologne/edt's. Your approach is a lot simpler and cheaper, but I still wouldn't trade the long learning experience about equipment. I tend to be nerdy though. :D
Ouchmychin (Pete)
pausted

Post by pausted »

Welcome, David. Glad to have you here.
Best regards,

Basil
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Welcome to SMF, David!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Come Often and Stay Long
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
djr

Post by djr »

Thanks, everyone!