Curmudgeonly Skepticism of Accepted Wisdom

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Curmudgeonly Skepticism of Accepted Wisdom

Post by drmoss_ca »

You're right, I wasn't calling any member a 'broad' for then I would have to ban myself. If you are right about electric wetshaving being the best, then, dinosaur that I am, I shall have to go without the experience. True happiness, said the sage, is being content with what you have.

C,
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Reading this, it occurred to me that I still have my Norelco in the drawer. I abruptly stopped using it around 9 years ago when my focus shifted to 100% wet shaving, and etc. Oddly, even though I regularly use it to trim eyebrows, ears, stuff like that, for 9 years I literally never thought about actually "shaving" with it again, considering that there have been times when it was my everyday shaving tool. Wierd! Now that I have been forced to remember that I can actually shave with it, I fear that I'll probably give in to the rather obsessive fixation on that novel idea. Just because I can, I suppose. I had evidently completely blocked it out, and secretly wishing I hadn't remembered it. Why did you guys make me read this? Bummer :x! All your fault ---
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

You're right, I wasn't calling any member a 'broad' for then I would have to ban myself. If you are right about electric wetshaving being the best, then, dinosaur that I am, I shall have to go without the experience. True happiness, said the sage, is being content with what you have.
Is electric wet shaving the "best"? Meh: maybe, maybe not. I pretty much just tossed that out there to be contrarian and to keep the pot a'boilin'!

I think we've all been around here long enough to know that there isn't one single "best." Everybody has their own individual preferences.

The original point I was making in this post, however, is that the conventional wisdom that electric shavers should be consigned to the realm of third-rate, end of day touch up shaving clearly fails to recognize the full potential of the current generation of wet-dry electric razors. They may well NOT be "the best" for everyone; I truly believe, however, that they are contenders. I find I can get a comparable shave with my Braun, after proper preparation and use would lather, to a cartridge or a DE shave.

Feel free everyone, as I've said above, to try it yourselves and challenge my view!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, my return to the electric after a 9 year layoff was laughable. Literally. I almost skipped my daily shave today because I had other stuff to do. Then I decided, what the heck, this might be a good opportunity to fire up the Norelco triple head razor and see what happens. Keep in mind that I really like my shaves to be as smooth as possible. Well, I plugged it in and gave it a good workout. The result? I laughed out loud when I felt my face --- rough as sandpaper! I won't make that mistake twice. :D [-X :shock:

P.S.: I understand the wet/electric razors give decent shaves for those who've stated that fact. I'm quite happy to concede that experience to those among us who have found it to be a source of enjoyment.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, with my old Braun electric, 10 - 15 years old (and possibly older), I can get a dry shave that leaves my neck as smooth as a blade - and that is no mean feat. (Norelco doesn't work for me, at all.)

- Murray
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have heard that the latest Brauns shave closer than the older ones. They cost more too.
Ouchmychin (Pete)