Are 6 days between shaves too long?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
PoppaLou

Are 6 days between shaves too long?

Post by PoppaLou »

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and just started wet shaving last week with a DE Razor. I've been shaving for many years with both electrics and cartridges, please forgive me! My first wet shave was last Tuesday evening and it is now 6 days later and my question is can I just shave or should I trim my growth down first? I don't have an overly heavy beard growth but don't want to slice up my face either. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
Regards,
Lou
brothers

Re: Are 6 days between shaves too long?

Post by brothers »

Hello Lou, and welcome to SMF. If it were me, I'd just shave. Because it is a 6 day beard, I'd use plenty of lather and take my time, not expecting to get it all at once.
Let us hear how it goes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mrjediconsular

Post by mrjediconsular »

Welcome to smf I usally shave once a week because of my migraines are bad this time of year and I just shave, plus i still don't trust electric trimmers because I had a bad experience with electric shavers
Jordan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Lou, welcome to SMF!

I think six days of growth could clog a cartridge razor, but I think you'll be fine with the single blade in a DE razor.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If it clogs it'll stop cutting. Just rinse. You might also need to remove the blade to unclog it.

There are razors that are clog resistant but I don't know of any DE razors that are. One is specifically named the "Clog-Pruf" but it's a single edge safety razor, not to be confused with a straight razor. It's specially designed to shave longer hairs as the name implies. I use one on my head when I decide to shave it, for that very reason. Of course a straight razor will also cut longer whiskers without clogging as will a Rolls Razor.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
PoppaLou

Post by PoppaLou »

Just a quick update - after a week, my second wet shave was pretty much excellent! The only problem was some irritation on 2 spots on my neck. This, I think, was caused by my doing multiple passes in those 2 spots. By multiple, I mean about 4 or 5 times on each spot. Definitely a newbie mistake!! All in all, at 2 shaves in, I'm really enjoying wet shaving!

Thanks to all of you for your responses, they were appreciated!

Lou
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My suggestion for that heavy growth was to use a BIC Sensitive disposable and rinse often, shaving with the grain. I'm glad you succeeded. Se like to know what you use and how you shave and you will find many threads about that here.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jeffrey_arvel

Post by jeffrey_arvel »

I would say it's the perfect interval if you're going for a stubble. You could try dry shaving if you want to wear a stubble constantly.
Barber by day, reviewer by night. Trust in me, I'm always right.
http://Shavingsolution.net, thorough and honest, you bet!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If I wanted to wear stubble constantly I'd get an inexpensive hair clipper from Wally World or K-mart, set it to it's lowest setting and use it for 20 years. I use mine for buzz cuts and I'm easily going on 15 years. The best $20 I ever spent. It came with all sorts of "stuff" that I have never used.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square