An alternative to shaving every day

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

An alternative to shaving every day

Post by brothers »

Since I don't have to dress up and report to my job any more, I enjoy my leisure in the morning very much. All my life I have looked forward to my morning shave, and even when I didn't shave for one reason or other, I usually find time to grab a luxurious shave later in the day, just because. Over the past several months, it has been much easier to just skip shaving all together. Maybe tomorrow! I still love to shave, don't get me wrong, but now that I've found my best razor/blade/brush/soap/cream combo (thanks to SMF, etc.) there's just as much satisfaction shaving off a two/three day beard as it is to do it every day. Literally nobody other than me even knows or cares if I shave or not.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Re: An alternative to shaving every day

Post by Rufus »

Although I've been retired for several years I still shave every day. I enjoy shaving and like the way I feel afterwards: clean and invigorated. Occasionally I have to miss a day of shaving, but I don't like it because I feel slightly grubby and in some cases, slothful. Perhaps it's a case of old habits die hard, but it's more like wearing polished shoes, a laundered shirt and clean underwear, I don't feel good without them.
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I haven't shaved every day for many years, as my skin never tolerated it. Since I've worn a beard since 1972, my shaven neck in the shadow of the beard doesn't readily show a little growth. That being said, since I retired three years ago I have continued to shave on the same schedule as before.

- Murray
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Gary, good on you. It's a sign of status that you've reached this point. Enjoy it.

I hope to get there in the next thirty years.

Chris
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I pretty much could have penned your words.

When I "go out" even if it's just grocery shopping with the wife I'm clean shaven, other than that not so much. Since a shave for me lasts about 24 hours or more before shadow is seen many times I can shave once and get a 2fer.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Back in the 70s I tried growing a beard (had recently got out of the Army and returned to college). After about 4 weeks it still felt uncomfortable and I have been a daily shaver ever since. For some reason I do not like the feel of stubble on my face. I even pack a disposable razor and tiny can of shaving cream in my carry-on for international flights so I can be clean shaven when I leave the airport. I do have some sense of the Gary's point as I wait about 30 mins in the AM (when I'm not traveling, I work from home) so that my morning beard is just that little bit more exposed for a good shave.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If I don't shave in the morning it will be because I died in my sleep.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I bet you're still shaving twice a day?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yep.
Regards,
Squire
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I have been a daily wet shaver for over 50 years, both head and face. I have never used a aerosol can of junk, disposable razor, or cartridge razor. I tried an electric on my head several years ago, twice- one time too many, don't even know where it is now. I grew up watching my granddad and my dad wet shaving and thought that was good enough for them, it's good enough for me. I still have some of their razors and mugs, and use them occasionally. I cannot even reason not shaving everyday. I shaved everyday while in Vietnam for 25 months!! It's just a routine I never tire of----the new norm around these parts of having a few days growth as being stylish and considered attractive by females does not concern me. YMMV is the nature of our society, sometimes you are "in" and sometimes you are "out". That is what makes this forum great!
Mike
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Since my hospital stay I have not had the shaving enthusiasm I had before my illness. I shave every day or so and don't bother with the DE or SE razors in my collection to get close. I prefer a BIC Sensitive disposable and a brushless cream or gel. Super easy and good enough for an elderly gent who can't drive any more and mostly is housebound except for dial-a -ride trips to Dr's etc. Things happen at 86 but life us still great when those you love reciprocate.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, it's good to hear from you! It's clear you have a kind and loving family around you. It's not the tools one uses to shave with, it's the fact that you feel good about being clean shaven, and that is what helps you keep a positive attitude and feel good about yourself all day long. Take care of yourself brother, and here's hoping you have a smooth and successful recovery. All the best to you, friend ---
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks Gary, and the same to you and all the members of SMF.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ouchmychin wrote:Since my hospital stay I have not had the shaving enthusiasm I had before my illness. I shave every day or so and don't bother with the DE or SE razors in my collection to get close. I prefer a BIC Sensitive disposable and a brushless cream or gel. Super easy and good enough for an elderly gent who can't drive any more and mostly is housebound except for dial-a -ride trips to Dr's etc. Things happen at 86 but life us still great when those you love reciprocate.
Good to hear from you man, hang in there.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is an update to my original post above, 9 months ago. It took several years of experimentation to identify the tools and products that give me the best shaves of my life. They're all inexpensive and they meet my expectations and perceptions of what an ideal every day shave should be. Because I get such a satisfying and simple shave, I do it first thing every morning at the end of my normal getting up routine. I seldom skip a daily shave any more because the shave is one of the things that make every day a good one.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I miss a couple of days a week lately, but o do agree....the shaving experience is one of the best parts of the day...its one of the few things one does that is 100% selfish and self absorbing :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
kenedy

Post by kenedy »

shaving the face everyday is a very boring job...
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Kenedy, welcome to SMF!

I'm guessing that you have joined us here because you, like the members of this forum, are an enthusiast of the traditional wet shave. Hopefully, you derive some pleasure from a well executed shave and will be able to share your experiences with us.

- Murray
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Gary,

Been retired now for 2 yrs and like you no longer have to shave everyday for work. I often go 3-4 days between shaves and will sometimes use a "hated" Gillette multi-blade razor to get the worst of the growth off my face especially if I am in a hurry.

Still, when I really want a close shave or just like you the feeling of a great traditional wet shave I jump on one of the few vintage razors that I have found work best for me. I guess I should just trim down my stock of razors but I'm saving them for my grandson to see if his day will encourage him to give them a try when he grows up. He's on 3 1/2 now.

I guess that being a bit older and retired now has changed my attitude about shaving. It's not necessary to shave each day for work. Hell I can even spend the day dressed Hugh Hefner style in my silk pajamas some days. Of course I don't have the curvaceous scantily clad young lady hanging off my arm and COPD precludes me from the Hefner pipe. All I want to do in retirement is kick back and be lazy, get lucky with SWMBO once in awhile, and see my grand children as much as possible. If shaving on a particular day is part of doing those things that's great and will do it mostly with my vintage stubble removal tools and accessories.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

kenedy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:08 am shaving the face everyday is a very boring job...
Hi Kenedy. Welcome to SMF. Yes, I have heard that some people consider the daily shave a boring and uninteresting fact of life that entails no joy. Not a problem because there's one fact of life that covers everything, and that is this: we all agree to disagree, and for every thesis there is an anti-thesis. In my case, I have had a lot of good times sorting through all of the methods and products associated with the ultra-simple mindless act of shaving. It's a pastime and a diversion. Now I've got some good stuff that makes the daily shave perfect and enjoyable. Time and resources well-invested.
Gary