Considering leaving DE shaving community

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Vincev

Considering leaving DE shaving community

Post by Vincev »

I will not consider leaving wet shaving but I am very seriously considering leaving DE shaving.

First my wet shaving history. I have been wet shaving most my adult life and started with a DE razor but changed to a cartridge razor (about 30 years ago). About 6 months ago I stopped shaving with a cartridge and started shaving with a DE razor. Not because I was unhappy with cartridge shaving instead the cost of cartridges was getting too high.

I seem to have a very sensitive chin area and no matter what I try I cannot relieve the irritation. I use mild razors and tried aggressive blades and smooth blades and still get serious irritation. Some people say I need to use a lighter touch but if I used any lighter touch I would not be able to hold the razor. There are times when I wake up in the middle of the night and the first thing I feel is irritation on my chin. I apply some Thayer's and go back to sleep.

I travel for work and many time I carry on my bags so I cannot bring my DE Razor, so on those trips I convert back to a cartridge razor. When I shave with the cartridge I use the same technique I use with a DE Razor. The difference is I get no irritation with the cartridge razor and I get a close shave.

Monday I am expecting delivery of OneBlade Core razor. This will be my last hope of not going back to cartridge razors.

If anyone has any suggestions or encouragement it will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince
brothers

Re: Considering leaving DE shaving community

Post by brothers »

Sorry to hear of the troubles you're having Vince. Here's hoping the OneBlade Core can be of some benefit to you. I'm curious to learn how you like it after you've had several days to get familiar with it. Best of luck!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Vince, we have had members of this forum who have used cartridge razors. Some have used them for head shaves, some have used them to shave their beard occasionally, in rotation with DE razors, and some have used them exclusively.

Use what works for you.

You can still be a wetshaver and a member of this forum while using a cartridge razor. If a cartridge razor proves to be the best tool for your needs, then using it will be a an exercise in wisdom - it will not be a sign of failure.

- Murray
jar

Post by jar »

Fortunately we all like different things. And today there is a greater variety of products than at anytime in the past. Use what works for you.
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

There are probably some other products to try along with the OneBlade Core which has expensive blades. I really like the Colonial General in Aluminum with Feather Pro Blades, but it is unavailable at the moment. It is a very mild/ gentle shaver. For cartridges, there is no better value than the Dollar General Trac II carts made by Dorco in Korea. I can get 5-6 of them for under $2. You have to find a handle though, as DG doesn't sell one. You also might consider trying the Bic Sensitive/ Normal disposables which work well with traditional wetshaving techniques. Lastly, sometimes it comes down to technique, and maybe you should do fewer passes, and just accept a socially acceptable level of stubble reduction/ closeness.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Vince, your experience mirrors mine. I've been shaving for +50 years and I've had an on and off relationship with DE/SE razors for most of that time. About three years ago I realised that when I shaved with a DE I invariably reached for my Mach 3 or Sensor to get at the difficult spots on my face. At this point I decided to give my Mach 3 and Sensor another go, so I put my DE's away and I haven't looked back. I find that I get much closer, smoother and irritation-free shaves with my cartridges than I ever did with a DE/SE. Cartridges are not cheap, but I think worth the cost for something I do every day.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

There are so many things to check; lather, too many passes, pressure, and probably a few others that don't presently come to mind. It would be so much easier if someone could be there to help.

Re: pressure, I don't like to tell anyone to hold the razor lightly, I certainly don't hold it lightly (no death grip either). Instead I like to suggest that they just look in the mirror and look for skin deformation. If the skin is deforming inward the pressure is too much. The blade can stretch the skin in the direction of the stroke, but not deform it inward.

Once you've gone through the list and all it gives you is a big question mark what you're left with is what you've decided to do. We aren't little lemmings all running in the same direction. Some of us actually strike out on our own*. We'll still recognize you as being a wet shaver and answer your posts if we can.

It doesn't mean that you need to sell your DE gear. You can revisit it and try again. But switching between DE and a cartridge I think would be detrimental to progress with DE since cart's demand pressure and DE razors are just the opposite.

* Very few of my shaves involve a DE razor. I favor and most of my shaves involve, by far, SE razors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Brian, I don't find that either my Mach 3 or Sensor razors requires pressure. In fact, one of the techniques I learned from shaving with a DE was a light touch, which I carried over to my cartridges. Using a light touch with cartridges has really improved the quality of my shaves.
Bryan
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Vince, there are many roads to Rome, use the one you're most comfortable with.

In my own experience technique is King with a DE (as well as a straight razor, which I have used for the past three decades). You can always experiment on weekends with a DE really taking time and attention to nail that technique.

Let it go for now until the bug bites you to try it again.

Hope that helps.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Rufus wrote:Vince, your experience mirrors mine. I've been shaving for +50 years and I've had an on and off relationship with DE/SE razors for most of that time. About three years ago I realised that when I shaved with a DE I invariably reached for my Mach 3 or Sensor to get at the difficult spots on my face. At this point I decided to give my Mach 3 and Sensor another go, so I put my DE's away and I haven't looked back. I find that I get much closer, smoother and irritation-free shaves with my cartridges than I ever did with a DE/SE. Cartridges are not cheap, but I think worth the cost for something I do every day.
Horses for courses. Those are some noteworthy observations, Bryan.

Vince, I'm prepared to believe that cartridge razors with their multiple blades perform differently from single-blade razors and that they have their own performance advantages. I'm also prepared to believe that you may get performance advantages out of a cartridge razor that are not possible with a single blade. I think technology is as much at play here as technique.

Years ago, I happily used a Gillette Atra and a Schick Tracer, both twin-blade cartridge razors. When the Mach 3 came out, I tried it several times, but it always felt like it was going to catch the skin and tear it, so I never got through a complete shave. After that, I didn't try anything with more than twin blades. Now, I prefer the feel of a single blade, but that is just personal preference.

I have a spot under my left ear that I can't get smooth, no matter what direction(s) I shave it with a DE. Interestingly - and something of a disappointment - I can get it smoother with my old Braun electric, as I can buzz it and buzz it and buzz it until I work it down. I can't do this with a blade without taking the skin off. Furthermore, I get a close shave with the electric with less irritation than I get with a blade, so lately I have been alternating wetshaves and electric shaves.

Here is another disconcerting discovery: I have found that with Oliveology Shave Gel, which is more of a liquid than a gel, I get better glide and much better protection than I can get with my best brush-made lather. The protection is such that I can use the razor pretty aggressively to get a close shave, without irritation. Because it is so thin, I can get a closer shave with a mild razor. Because it offers such impressive protection, I can get away with using a more aggressive razor than I normally could (although there is really no reason to), without irritation.

I used Oliveology for awhile before, but I quit using it when the website went down and I couldn't get any more. When I returned to brush-made lather, I had to relearn to use the razor with a lighter touch, as I found myself getting a lot of weepers and irritation that I didn't get with the more protective gel.

At this point, I will probably alternate all three methods (brush-made lather from soap, Oliveology Shave Gel, and electric). I'll use a brush and soap on Sunday nights, for the pleasure of it. Then, during the week, I'll shave with a DE and Olivelology and with the old Braun electric for increased efficiency and less irritation.

I've been wetshaving for a long time (I'm 65), so I'm disinclined to believe that I'm having issues with my technique. Sometimes a different approach works better.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You may want to consider going with Bic Sensitive disposables. They are actually quite good for two or three shaves, and relatively gentle when compared to traditional DE razors and even most cartridges. Single blade, and easy to maneuver but very light so pressure becomes something you need to pay close attention to.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

When I'm traveling, I leave the good stuff at home. What I take with me is surprisingly good, and almost as good as the everyday 3 piece razor and blade, brush and soap/cream. I take a big jar of Noxzema cleansing cream and a twin blade disposable I bought at Dollar tree. I just wet the face, apply the Noxzema with my fingers and then I shave with a technique that seems a bit random. Just going every which way, and then if I need a bit more slickness, I don't apply more Noxzema, I just splash water on my face and the slickness is amazing, which helps the disposable give me a great shave. Keep using what works best for you, and don't worry about the other stuff. But, don't get rid of anything!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

brothers wrote:When I'm traveling, I leave the good stuff at home. What I take with me is surprisingly good, and almost as good as the everyday 3 piece razor and blade, brush and soap/cream. I take a big jar of Noxzema cleansing cream and a twin blade disposable I bought at Dollar tree. I just wet the face, apply the Noxzema with my fingers and then I shave with a technique that seems a bit random. Just going every which way, and then if I need a bit more slickness, I don't apply more Noxzema, I just splash water on my face and the slickness is amazing, which helps the disposable give me a great shave. Keep using what works best for you, and don't worry about the other stuff. But, don't get rid of anything!
Gary, good stuff!

Chris