How did you discover wetshaving?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

How did you discover wetshaving?

Post by brothers » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:12 pm

What brought you to this means of shaving?
Gary

J T

Re: How did you discover wetshaving?

Post by J T » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 pm

I started shaving in 1964. The only other viable option was electric.
~ Jack

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:39 pm

The first time was in the late 60s and it wasn't pretty. I moved to cart's (of the day, they weren't the carts of today) and hated them, but I got OK results as long as I didn't go ATG. If I did I got ingrowns.

This latest time I rebelled at the price of cartridges and looked for an alternative. Here I am today years later.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:08 pm

J T wrote:I started shaving in 1964. The only other viable option was electric.
+1.....tried the electric, didn't like it, still don't.
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:29 pm

I estimate that I started shaving in 1967, with a Schick Injector Type L and Noxzema aerosol lather. I used the Injector for around five years until I grew a beard. Another five years later, I started shaving my neck with a Gillette Adjustable DE. (I still have the beard and still shave my neck.) I also used a brush and shaving soap or cream at different times, though I never learned to make good lather.

Around 1980, while living in Portugal, I switched to a Gillette Contour (Atra in the US), which was my first experience with cartridge shaving. I eventually moved on to a Schick Tracer, also twin-blade, and settled on that. When the Mach 3 came out, I tried it, but never could make it work for me. It always felt like it was going to catch and tear the skin, so I never tried anything else with three or more blades. I also got into electric shaving. I was perfectly happy with the shaves I got from the twin-blade cartridge razor and from the electric.

In 2006, I found on the Internet that one could still buy new DE razors. Motivated by nostalgia, I started poking around and found my way to SMF. Here I learned about the skilled wetshave and I finally learned how to make good lather. I learned to get a good shave in the traditional style, but it wasn't any better than what I had achieved previously with the Schick Tracer or the old Braun electric.

Now, I'm getting lazy again. I normally do a proper wetshave, with brush, soap, and DE razor, on Sunday night. For my other two shaves during the week, I use a brushless gel with a DE or I use an electric. All three approaches work equally well. Varying the approach like this leaves me with less skin irritation than I get from three traditional wetshaves during the week. When I do use a blade, I now prefer the feel of a single blade to that of a twin-blade cartridge.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 am

Sometime in the late 80's I started using a cream that aramis put out ( have no idea what the name was, but the girl behind the counter at macy's was hotttt just in case you're wondering :D ). I used my fingers to apply the cream :shock: Not that long afterwards, again trolling the malls, I came across a shop that had a few brushes and soaps which i bought. I believe the soap was either valobra or taylors. The brush was a floris. It was many years later in 2006 when the floris was on its last legs and i was looking for a replacement that i found smf and all the wonders within. Up until then i used whichever was the latest and greatest from gillette. It was all downhill from there!! :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 am

off topic, but a quick goog about aramis found this little nugget:

Aramis Lab Series Shave Cream was reformulated and the benzocaine which numbed the face was removed. :roll: :roll:
de gustibus non est disputandum

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:16 am

J T wrote:I started shaving in 1964. The only other viable option was electric.
Me too.
Bryan

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 pm

When I started getting some whiskers I gave my dad's Gillette Tech a try and after using his stuff for a while, I bought my own Slim and that was that. Went into the service and left the Slim at home and got a Krona both of which I still have, in addition to my dad's razor and gear.
Gary

mlb549

Post by mlb549 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:47 am

My dad and my granddad both were wet shavers, I could see no reason to do anything different. Four years in USMC were all wet shaving-- even 25 months in Vietnam. My dad gave me a Tech, some blades and an Old Spice shaving set for my 14th bday(still have original gear). I have never looked back and have continued daily shaves for over 55 years. Never tried carts, electrics, or straights. I used DE's for all but the last 12 years, which have all been vintage SE's. I purchased one shavette and tried to comfortably use it several times, arthritic wrists do not seem to have enough painless movement to perfect this method(safely!!). I really enjoy wet shaving and have converted many employees and relatives over the years. SWMBO even uses a Tech, soap, and a brush and loves it.
Mike

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Mike! Shipmate! I was USN in the Mekong. Inserted and extracted SEAL teams via PBR's. Anyway, I carried two Schick injectors a model L and J in my shave kit (I still have both razors) consisting of Williams shave soap and a tube of Palmolive shave cream. It served me very well.
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!