Horse trading and making friends

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Horse trading and making friends

Post by brothers »

It is very satisfying to locate a fellow forum member who is willing to swap something he has for something I have. This also happens to be a very good opportunity to chat for a while with someone on the forum who enjoys discussing the stuff we have or wish we had. It's also a very inexpensive experience because all it costs is postage. Sometimes it turns out there's no deal, but either way, I like to think I have made a new friend. Example - more than a few years back, I had an opportunity on SMF to make the acquaintance of D.Irving.79 here on SMF, and even though we didn't make a deal, we formed a positive link with someone who had common interests. This gentleman is no longer active but I will always remember him as an example of the respectful and informative gents from around the world who comprise this forum, past and present.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Horse trading and making friends

Post by fallingwickets »

Wasnt he the dude that was very into se's?
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

fallingwickets wrote:Wasnt he the dude that was very into se's?
He was, indeed. He also started up a forum for SEs only. He was rumored to have serious health problems and he just disappeared from his SE forum several years back, so it is assumed that he died.

- Murray
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

sorry to hear that. he seemed to be a very nice person.

clive

p.s. thanks for the background info
de gustibus non est disputandum
Gene

Post by Gene »

I think he is active on the forum that former member Zach drifted to.

His love for all things SE was enormous. As I recall - he made a couple of videos. His voice was deep and had a gravel to it that spoke of an interesting life.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:
fallingwickets wrote:Wasnt he the dude that was very into se's?
He was, indeed. He also started up a forum for SEs only. He was rumored to have serious health problems and he just disappeared from his SE forum several years back, so it is assumed that he died.

- Murray
That's my understanding.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

And then again --- sometimes it just doesn't work out. Some guys think it's cool to be Mr. BigTime when the object in question is nothing more than an old used razor or a used bit of soap, of all things. They come across as intimidating and quarrelsome. How boring. [-X :D :D :D
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:And then again --- sometimes it just doesn't work out. Some guys think it's cool to be Mr. BigTime when the object in question is nothing more than an old used razor or a used bit of soap, of all things. They come across as intimidating and quarrelsome. How boring. [-X :D :D :D
Not sure what or who you are referring to here, Gary. Hopefully, you don't mean D.Irving.79, as he always struck me as a humble person.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:It is very satisfying to locate a fellow forum member who is willing to swap something he has for something I have. This also happens to be a very good opportunity to chat for a while with someone on the forum who enjoys discussing the stuff we have or wish we had. It's also a very inexpensive experience because all it costs is postage. Sometimes it turns out there's no deal, but either way, I like to think I have made a new friend. Example - more than a few years back, I had an opportunity on SMF to make the acquaintance of D.Irving.79 here on SMF, and even though we didn't make a deal, we formed a positive link with someone who had common interests. This gentleman is no longer active but I will always remember him as an example of the respectful and informative gents from around the world who comprise this forum, past and present.
Of course not, Murray. See my comments in the original post above directed specifically to Mr. Irving.

The negative experiences are reflective of individuals who probably have never posted on, nor even joined SMF, to the best of my knowledge.
Gary