Products/Gear Combinations

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Modern Ancient

Products/Gear Combinations

Post by Modern Ancient »

So, I was wondering: am I the only one who uses specific (or, general) combinations, of products?

For instance, in the mornings, I always use a boar hair brush, a mug, and, hard soap. However, in the evenings, or, afternoons, I use a badger hair brush, a lathering bowl, and, a soft cream. I rotate, also, the creams, and, blades, for the evening.
CMur12

Re: Products/Gear Combinations

Post by CMur12 »

First of all, I only shave three times a week because my skin doesn't tolerate more.

My favorite razor is the Mergress (modified Merkur Progress). It is sufficiently mild, at lowest setting, while being amazingly efficient. I use this razor the most, followed by other mild razors. On occasion, I will use a razor as aggressive as an Edwin Jagger or a Weber, for variety.

Most good, reasonably sharp blades work fine for me.

I have several soaps that I like, and I usually use one for quite awhile before shifting to another. (Favorite soaps are Valobra hard soap, the older Valobra-made AOS soaps, Cella, Tim's Soap, Mike's Natural Soaps, and Mystic Water. There are other good soaps, to be sure.)

My favorite brushes are certain boar and silvertip brushes by Semogue. I think the best synthetics I have used are the Asylum BG7 (because of the finer fiber) and the HJM Black Fibre.

Within my established favorites, I mix and match at random.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Over time I have stockpiled a large number of various brands and scents of soaps and a few creams that seem to work very well for me. I'm not buying any more of these, so I can concentrate on using up what I have. It'll take years.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, it's been a very long time since I've something other than my soap or after the shave products. Other than those givens every shave I use a different brush. I start at the left side of the shelf and work my way to the right side. I try to use a different razor for the life of a blade, but my hand just normally seeks out the EverReady '24 all by itself.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
pausted

Post by pausted »

I have managed to rid myself of most products that don't give me good shaving results so my den now consists of good stuff that works for me. I tend to use brushes, soaps, creams and aftershaves for long periods of time before switching to something else. With brushes, I keep two on the counter and rotate between them until such time that I feel like switching. Then I will put two different ones on the counter. With soaps or creams and aftershaves, I often use one product until it is used up. If that product pleased me, I will replace it. I achieve variety by switching razors and blades fairly frequently. I enjoy experimenting with razor/blade combinations to see which ones provide the best shave.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Basil, I feel the same way about it. This has been (still is) a fun journey. Eight years ago I jumped into the straight razor segment, because I wanted to learn something new. That's what it turned out to be. I have about 2 dozen straight razors now and I treasure them and all of the edge maintenance stuff that goes with it, but due to recent advances in the safety razor industry it is clear that (in my case) the amount of time and energy that goes into keeping them sharp enough is far out of proportion to the hypothetical enjoyment that some guys get out of it. I'm keeping my straight razors and all that stuff, but I'm shaving with the safety razor and disposable blades. I can do both! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

After what seems like years using shaving soaps I've returned to creams, at least temporarily.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:After what seems like years using shaving soaps I've returned to creams, at least temporarily.
I’m with you Squire. I go on and off soap, but use cream 90% of the time these days. At the moment I have 3 soaps, which I’ve had for several years, but have little inclination to use them.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are some excellent creams on the market these days.
Gary

pausted

Post by pausted »

I used to use creams almost exclusivly but lately have moved over to soaps. I think I have only two or three partially used tubs of cream left in my cabinet. The thing that got me going on soap was when I began to lather on top of the soap in a bowl. This technique allows one to keep lathering and loading soap until the lather gets to the desired consistency. Yeah, I know that this wastes some product but I don't really care. Soap does not need to be expensive and I don't want it to last forever. I like the variety of changing soaps when one is done.
Best regards,

Basil
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I agree Basil - I’ve never viewed shaving soaps or creams to be something that is somehow limited or in short supply...except the old vintage Coate’s of course.

For many years now I have lathered soaps on the bowl itself. Once the brush is well loaded I then build the lather either in my hand or on my face.

I still prefer creams over soaps, but enjoy both. I’m just coming to the end of a Palmolive shave stick and am so impressed by its value for money.

Gareth