On the subject of fidelity

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

On the subject of fidelity

Post by fallingwickets » Sat May 18, 2019 11:42 am

For the most part I use the same setup every time i shave, but the other day I was going through my shave box and found a tube of coates rose cream. I use a tulip 3 every day and but didn't want to use it with the coates ( you gents understand!!) and so i pulled a custom vulfix to do the lathering work. What a grand shave. Anyway, just thought i would share that with you gents and to say that sometimes a little dalliance is a good thing!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

churchilllafemme

Re: On the subject of fidelity

Post by churchilllafemme » Sat May 18, 2019 11:45 am

I do "one-day stands" with all my gear, using a different brush, soap, razor, and aftershave each day in my 4-week-long rotation, and I feel no guilt at all.
_______
John

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Sat May 18, 2019 2:02 pm

I use a different brush and aftershave every day except when I travel. I don’t change shaving cream until I’ve finished the tube/tub. I use the same razor, a Mach3, every day except when travelling when I use a Sensor.
Bryan

brothers

Post by brothers » Sun May 19, 2019 7:14 pm

A couple of years ago my searching days ended. My fidelity is for comfort and security. Changes I make these days are for sport, and they always bring enjoyment. Changing razors means the General rests a few days each month so I can sharpen and enjoy the straight razors. Twelve brands of soaps and creams are scheduled year-round, never replaced as they inevitably deplete as planned. Prized brushes are quite scarce, and generate some kind of crazy emotional delight whenever they see use. The chosen blades for the General and my sole aftershave splash are in stock beyond the shavepocalypse.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 am

The chosen blades for the General and my sole aftershave splash are in stock beyond the shavepocalypse.
the best laid plans of mice and men. hope youre right, gary :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck » Mon May 20, 2019 10:30 am

From about 2014 to 2019, I had few dalliances: Edwin Jagger synthetic, homemade soaps and splashes, and the Jagger Barley Chrome DE. Earlier this year a brief encounter with a Semogue brush led to a touch of AD, but I've found it wholly unsatisfying. The dalliance was grand and will likely yield a new favorite brush (mixed badger/boar), but the shaves won't be any great improvement.

If I take to straights this time around, I will watch the ADs like a hawk and have a plan to limit my stone acquisitions should things get that far.

That said, I find fidelity with an occasional dalliance to be the way for me. I will be keeping a mixed knot, a boar, and a synthetic (and maybe a badger) so that my dalliances an occur, but one of these is likely to be The One for daily use. Soaps...Palmolive, Speick, homemade, and mostly the latter, with the first two being reserved for dalliances. Splashes...again, homemade with exceptions now and then for Speick. I am attempting to use up a few products at present, and I am using each exclusively for a while to get rid of them. It's really enjoyable to limit myself even more than normal and get to know a product inside and out.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau