Check this out: pretty bad shave, right?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
help!please!

Check this out: pretty bad shave, right?

Post by help!please! »

I need advice please! My face never looks clean....

Here's my face about 2 hours after shaving. It feels mostly smooth, but looks horrible, right?
2019-05-24 09.19.02.jpg
2019-05-24 09.19.02.jpg (377.94 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
The attachment 2019-05-24 09.19.02.jpg is no longer available
I am clueless - please let me know: is this just how it's going to look, or can i do better?
(ps - i use a pre-wash in hot shower, pre-shave oil, Art of Shaving cream with a badger brush, Gillette Fusion razor, first with and then (after more cream) against the grain, followed by AoS aftershave cream.

I am willing to do anything to get that really clean shaved look. but not sure if it's even possible for me?

thanks -
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Check this out: pretty bad shave, right?

Post by drmoss_ca »

It's a bit hard to tell from the out of focus photo, but I'm guessing you find you have both redness and remaining stubble?

The hot shower first is good, the pre-shave oil adds nothing but probably harms nothing either, AOS cream is OK. We're left with the razor. Multi-blade razors are a bit harder on your skin, especially if you use some pressure. So things to try would include using light pressure only, and maybe just using a with the grain pass by itself and seeing if the redness goes away after a few days. If it does, but you want a closer shave, it might then be time to try a single blade razor such as a DE. If you shave every day, a single WTG pass is often enough, and certainly means a lot less redness and irritation.

Welcome to SMF!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

help!please! wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:17 am I need advice please! My face never looks clean....

Here's my face about 2 hours after shaving. It feels mostly smooth, but looks horrible, right?
You do seem to have a lot of redness and irritation. You say it feels smooth, too. One problem guys often have is wanting to get a baby bottom smooth shave. Pressing too hard on the razor to achieve this results in irritation. A close shave is great, but it is more important to get a comfortable shave than a close shave. Once you are getting comfortable, irritation- and redness-free shaves, then you can tweak your approach to improve closeness.
I am clueless - please let me know: is this just how it's going to look, or can i do better?
(ps - i use a pre-wash in hot shower, pre-shave oil, Art of Shaving cream with a badger brush, Gillette Fusion razor, first with and then (after more cream) against the grain, followed by AoS aftershave cream.
Art of Shaving products are excellent, if a bit pricey. It looks like you are good to go in the supplies department, so it might be good to work on technique. What I have seen on the forums almost always is this approach:

First pass with the grain
Second pass across the grain
Third pass against the grain (optional)

This sequence has worked well for me for over a decade. Not all men can do an against the grain pass without irritation and ingrown hairs, however. You might try omitting the pre-shave oil. When I used it, the shaves were less close than usual. You might find this instructional video helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKg5r_JkgQA

Mantic59 on YouTube also has some excellent how-to shaving videos.

Have you ever considered using a safety razor and double-edge blades? There is a bit of a learning curve, but it can be well worth the effort. It certainly was for me. If you do decide to go this route, I recommend reading Dr. Shave's Book of Shaving. There is also a link there where you can download the entire guide as a PDF file. It provides detailed instructions on proper shaving technique, and is very useful. It also has information relevant to cartridge razors. For safety razors, it is important to use a very light touch, with almost no pressure, and hold the razor at the proper angle.
I am willing to do anything to get that really clean shaved look. but not sure if it's even possible for me?

thanks -
Perhaps the best approach would be to get the closest shave that is comfortable for you. That will take some time to perfect your shaving technique, but patience is a virtue. For me, it took about three months, but you might need more or less time. They key point is to take things slow and easy, and not try to rush the process.

Hope this helps!
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hello help!please!. Welcome to SMF!

Perhaps the simplest thing you could try first is to reduce the number of blades in your razor cartridge. Try a twin-bladed cartridge razor, some of which are optimized for sensitive skin. This approach would not require the acquisition of new skills.

It has been recommended that you apply less pressure to the razor. That definitely applies to double-edge (DE), single-edge (SE), and Injector (often included in the SE category) razors, but, as far as I know,, cartridge razors require a certain amount of pressure to align the pivoting head. If you are applying extreme pressure, that could be a problem.

If you still have the same problem with a twin-bladed cartridge razor, then a razor with a single edge (DE, SE, Injector, or even a straight) would be the next step.

- Murray