Colonial Drug...The Cabinet of Curiosities

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Colonial Drug...The Cabinet of Curiosities

Post by M6Classic »

This is a cross post from shaving brushes...

I was in Colonial Drug yesterday (it is now in Newton, MA, not at Harvard Square), and the shop remains a wonderful cabinet of curiosities, stuffed from floor to ceiling with all manner of special items...knives, razors, perfume, bathing products, shave soap, shave brushes (see below), and on and on. I bought a Kent-made hat brush...who knew that Kent made a hat brush!?!?

While we were chatting Cathie told me that Plisson had been sold to an individual buyer who knows nothing about the shave gear business. The new owner hasn't yet decided whether or not to continue making brushes. How sad.

That said, Cathie had a couple of really lovely vintage Plissons with HMW badger set in faux ivory handles. Not the HMW from the seventies, mind you, but quite delightful, classic brushes nonetheless with much finer hair than I have seen in any brush over the last decade. Colonial Drug still does not have a retail internet presence. If you are not fortunate enough to be able to walk in, they do much business over the phone at 617-965-2221. If I did not own three vintage HMWs set in plexi, I would jump on one of these brushes quickly.

Buzz
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Colonial Drug...The Cabinet of Curiosities

Post by Sam »

Kent has an ebay site where they sell seconds/irregulars of clothes brushes, shave brushes, much cheaper than their retail store online
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

This is the curved hat brush and it does not appear on the Kent site or in their ebay shop. I believe it was a special order for a few old and loyal Kent retailers. If you wear felt hats and can find one, buy it.

Buzz
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Oddly I came across a bunch of samples of shaving creams from Colonial drug. Years old, I threw most away as I wasn't interested in things I had been sent unrequested. But one, one alone, made me keep it as I had forgotten it existed and it sounds odd. Coates Rosemary and Tea Tree cream. It doesn't smell strongly, so it's probably ancient as Coates weren't subtle in their scenting. When I tire of my tub of old J.M.Fraser original lemon/lime cream I'll try it out.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ah. Coates
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Great post, Buzz, thanks.

Good to hear from you and hope you're doing well.

As an aside, and not to hijack the thread, thank you for advocating of Peet's coffee. I am enjoying their offerings.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Good to see you, Buzz!

Thanks for the update on Colonial Drug and Plisson. (Hard to imagine no Plisson.)

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

drmoss_ca wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:33 pm Oddly I came across a bunch of samples of shaving creams from Colonial drug. Years old, I threw most away as I wasn't interested in things I had been sent unrequested. But one, one alone, made me keep it as I had forgotten it existed and it sounds odd. Coates Rosemary and Tea Tree cream. It doesn't smell strongly, so it's probably ancient as Coates weren't subtle in their scenting. When I tire of my tub of old J.M.Fraser original lemon/lime cream I'll try it out.
English_barber wrote:
Coates Limited Edition Shaving Cream Launch

by english_barber » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:19 am
Available from 6pm on Thursday 29th July 2010

The Gentleman’s Shop is delighted to announce that it acquired the Coate’s company in May 2010. As a result of this we have inherited a selection of unique hand made shaving and hair brushes and are currently re-introducing Coate’s shaving cream.

Our first product in the new Coate’s range, this glycerine and coconut oil based shaving cream also contains tea tree and rosemary essential oils. This pot should provide around 100 great shaves, when used with a shaving brush, producing copious lather.

Paraben-Free
No artificial colourants
165ml pot
Presented gift boxed.
Hard to believe it's been ten years since Robert bought the rights to Coates, and his first product was the tea tree and rosemary.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I had tried some tea tree Coates. Preferred the limes and
Rose. But i do miss the first version of Trumpers violet before it changed. Wonder what happened to the guy who had those small travel sized versions of Coates?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I hadn't realised I was looking at the re-incarnated Coates. I probably won't bother with it then.

The odd thing is that after finding half a dozen little black plastic tubs of samples from Colonial Drug, I can't remember ever buying anything there. Maybe someone else gave them to me.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wonder what happened to the guy who had those small travel sized versions of Coates?
Ive been wondering the same thing...i have several limes an rose and have been thinking about getting a few spares and so,periodically I think about looking for him, but as always......lazzzzzzzzzzzzzzy :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

sam et al, a case of becks as a thank you will suffice :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.coatescream.com/

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S. for those interested, it is smf member Andy: user name btfan

clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

thanks clive
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Going through the threads and wow, I remember calling up Colonial and talking at length with, I think her name was Cathy. If I get back to Boston and the Harvard area I will check in.

Gordon used to mention a couple of shops in NYC and I did visit one, Pasteur's I think?
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Cathy and B.J. have moved thje shop from Harvard Square to Newton. Remarkably, they have maintained the zeitgeist of the old shop and it is piled from old wood floor to pressed tin ceiling with the most marvelous things and scents. This is a "must-see" stop if you love shaving and are ever in New England.

Buzz
Last edited by M6Classic on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thanks Buzz
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks....nice to see you out and about :D

btw, their instagram account
https://www.instagram.com/colonialdrug/?hl=en
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just to reiterate, my own Colonial Drug experience just a few months ago was quite enjoyable. The gentleman who took my call about Joris shaving soap was extremely informative and helpful. Didn't want payment until after I had received the Joris. They are probably the only retailer in USA carrying it. The price was good, and the soap arrived early. Obviously, my payment was in the mail immediately following delivery. Personally, I would love the opportunity to visit the shop in person.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444