Block of alum

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
paddy

Block of alum

Post by paddy »

guys,

i recently bought a block of alum from Trumpers and used it for the first time today after a shave (futur/feather). however it may be the last time i use it.

the shave was largely as expected, no real nicks but a few wee blood 'spots' from individual hairs - nothing major (i am experimenting with feathers at the moment, and they may shortly be binned as well, but that's another story). post-shave i dowsed my faced with lots of cold water, dried my face, wet the alum block and wiped it liberally all over my pus.

of course the alum stung when applied, but no pain no gain right?, and i just let it dry naturally afterwards for a few mins, got dressed and then checked out the results in a mirror. was very surprised at the results. it just didn't seem to do the job at all as expected and stop the bleeding in its tracks and if anything it was worse than usual. in addition my face felt raw as hell. i touched it up with a tissue and put a bit of jojoba oil on it thinking that it would get better, but it has stayed pretty raw all day and i'm wondering now what the deal with this is.

do any of you use alum blocks and, if so, how do you rate them? is your experience the same or am i going wrong somewhere?

i will try it a few more times at this may just be a one-off, but if there's no improvement fast then i think i will cut my losses with this little venture and go back to the usual routine.

paddy
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

You apparently had some irritation from your shave. The alum will only sting if you have cuts or your skin is abraded. As your technique improves, you'll find that the alum will tighten the skin slightly, but you won't feel any stinging. You should still apply a balm or moisturizer after the alum, by the way.

Rick
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Ditto to what Rick & Ren have stated. I no longer really use one. The only time I do is to test for shave comfort - no sting=good shave; sting=no so good shave :lol:
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

I've never used an alum block, but I have used a styptic pencil since I was a teenager it will stop almost any small cut within seconds. IMHO, a must have for shaving.
-Steve
wrath186

Post by wrath186 »

I'm going to agree with Paddy on this one. The few times I used a styptic pencil I found that it didn't stop the bleeding and added to the irritation that was present. In some cases, I believe, that it causes irritation where there wasn't any.
ichabod
Mackem

Re: Block of alum

Post by ichabod »

paddy wrote:<snip>
do any of you use alum blocks and, if so, how do you rate them? is your experience the same or am i going wrong somewhere?

i will try it a few more times at this may just be a one-off, but if there's no improvement fast then i think i will cut my losses with this little venture and go back to the usual routine.

paddy
I was just thinking yesterday, I haven't used a styptic pencil or liquid (I have used both) in ages. I'd like to think it's because I don't nick myself, but it's not. I think the styptic is worse than the nick. I simply rinse with cold water, and then use some Lucky Tiger stuff.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Styptic is necessary if you strive for really close shaves, and if it weren't just a teensy bit wierd I would wet my alum block and use it as a deodorant.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I can't imagine rubbing the block over my face, this would cause me all sorts of irritation. What I do to stop a bleeder is I wet a q-tip and rub it on the block to get it saturated with alum, then I dab it on the spot.
Richard
z

Post by z »

drmoss_ca wrote:Styptic is necessary if you strive for really close shaves, and if it weren't just a teensy bit wierd I would wet my alum block and use it as a deodorant.

Chris
Hmm. Not all that weird, I guess, because alum really *is* popularly used as deodorant in some parts of the world.

I've never personally needed a styptic or alum block because I shave before my shower. Typically, a little bit of water on the face during the shave takes care of it all anyway.
Zach
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

I rub the block all over my face every so often. If I have a couple minor nicks, I rub it on my face after I apply Trumper's skin food. Works on minor nicks, not major hemorrhage, so one ought not expect too much.

I've never experienced irritation from using it on my face (other than the sting associated with the specific cut).

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

A friend of mine who works in a plastic surgeons office told me that the best thing to use for nicks is a piece of the paper sack from the grocery store. The few times when I've needed to stop bleeding and used the sack it worked really well.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
paddy

Post by paddy »

chris - funny, coincidentially i've just bought myself and have been using a crystal deodorant as i've been reading that all the aluminium etc. in regular ones can be absorbed through your skin and is bad for you. that cumulative build up of chemicals in your system over many years etc. you are a Dr - anything in that? anyways, it didn't click with me until you said that that the alum block is the same as that crystal deo. would feel weird using the alum block as a deo, but if it does the job why not?

i should clarify that i have used syptic pencils before on nicks. i was using the alum not on nicks as such but really just where i'd got too close. like i say, i've been experimenting of late and using feather blades in a futur razor. the futur's pretty aggressive as it is. and i think that the feather in that razor is a bridge too far and i will change back to regular merkur blades in the futur i think now as only so far you can push the envelope, at least on my skin anyways.

paddy
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

paddy wrote:chris - funny, coincidentially i've just bought myself and have been using a crystal deodorant as i've been reading that all the aluminium etc. in regular ones can be absorbed through your skin and is bad for you. that cumulative build up of chemicals in your system over many years etc. you are a Dr - anything in that? anyways, it didn't click with me until you said that that the alum block is the same as that crystal deo. would feel weird using the alum block as a deo, but if it does the job why not?
paddy
Aluminum (or Aluminium as we say in the colonies) does not cause Alzheimer's disease. No worry there. The alum block we use in shaving is exactly the same as the crystal in deodorants, and most commercial deodorants use aluminium too, usually the hexachloride. The reason why I said it would be wierd was because the block is meant for your face and rubbing it in my armpits is somehow rather simian. I already use some shaving products in ways their designers never intended - try KMF as a shampoo/conditioner all-in-one sometime; it's great - but this just seems a little too far for my tastes.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Throw off your shackles of oppression. And your alum blocks as well. Move into the modern age with:
Seriously, the Proraso styptic gel in its' tiny tube (and it is small) is fast and easy to use. Squeeze a small dot and apply, couldn't be easier and it works real well.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Aw nuts, there you go again, Dr. Moss..... Isn't it bad enough that I can't stop using Williams mug soap in the shower.... now I have to start shampooing with my KMF Shave Cream?!?!? I mean really..... I'm ok with this being a disciple of the Church of the Feather but this is getting out of hand! :P

Mind you, if you had seen my hairline.... well.... lets just say that bowling alley wax might be more appropriate. :roll:

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
Born2bwire

Post by Born2bwire »

Cliff wrote:Throw off your shackles of oppression. And your alum blocks as well. Move into the modern age with:
Seriously, the Proraso styptic gel in its' tiny tube (and it is small) is fast and easy to use. Squeeze a small dot and apply, couldn't be easier and it works real well.

Cliff
Is there anything that Proraso can't do?
kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

Tye wrote:The few times when I've needed to stop bleeding and used the sack it worked really well.
Do you just put the whole sack over your head, or what?

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...
Forest Face

Post by Forest Face »

I enjoy the effect alum has on my face after my shave and before applying my Toner (Lucky Tiger Organics). I felt that the tactile encounter of the bar (I just can't stop the rubbing!!) was a bit irritating. Instead, I rub the bar in my wet palms and then gently massage into my freshly bared epidermis - no mechanical irritation to my very sensitive skin! Works well if you are enamored with the tradition of this art and try to encorporate as much of the heritage as you can which seems beneficial to you.
"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream."
Barry Goldwater
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Forest Face wrote:I enjoy the effect alum has on my face after my shave and before applying my Toner (Lucky Tiger Organics). I felt that the tactile encounter of the bar (I just can't stop the rubbing!!) was a bit irritating. Instead, I rub the bar in my wet palms and then gently massage into my freshly bared epidermis - no mechanical irritation to my very sensitive skin! Works well if you are enamored with the tradition of this art and try to encorporate as much of the heritage as you can which seems beneficial to you.
You're the famous and generous winner of "the auction" I asume? Well done.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Forest Face

Post by Forest Face »

Humbly, I must admit ..... I cannot tell a lie....it is I. I have seen the difference this management approach to terminal illness makes in the lives of both the patient and family. I felt this was a way to bring attention to hospice. Thanks for the feedback.
"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream."
Barry Goldwater