Moss Mania!!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
themba

Moss Mania!!

Post by themba »

It's late night where I am in western New York, actually early morning. I came home from work and laid down for a nap before going to the gym .....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........I just woke up an hour ago now I can't sleep. I hate when that happens. At least I got a full eight hours in.......Anyway, I have been late night surfing and or course shaving related stuff in on the agenda....I just visited a few sites....looks like Moss
Mania...err scuttle mania is in full swing. It is great to see wet shavers coming up with products like that....It even has Shaveblog's seal of approval...... Rumor has it that President Bush has order one......Osama Bin Laden is planning his first shave with a Feather AC and of course a Moss Scuttle.....with such broad appeal how could you not want one.

The Moss Scuttle is pure genius....how do I know, even though I don't even own one??.....Flash back to the end of 2005....I was sitting at my kitchen table cleaning some newly arrived GEM razors....giving them the toothbrush scrub and hot water bath, when I looked over at my violet which has wilted away....You see I am very much into plants and at times my apartment resembles a tropical rain forest both in look, temperation and humidity...but I digress.....I took a break from my precious GEMs and emptied the violet pot and began to clean it up....This would work even better than my bean pot I thought....I had previously used bean pots as shaving bowls. So with a Gold plate GEM Micromatic, and industrial GEM blade, and some Kiss my Face Lavender and Shea, I had a nice hot shave.....So believe me when I tell that the Moss Scuttle is pure genius........

Moss Scuttle vs. Themba's Violet Pot:

Moss Scuttle Pros:
Shave Blog approved.
Designed specifically for wet shaving.
Has a handle for ease of use
Classic timeless design

Cons:
ShaveBlog approved.

Themba's Violet Pot Pros:
Not Shaveblog approved.
Fancy enough to re-enforce your metrosexual Image.
Looks good next to your Nancy Boy Shave Cream
Moss Scuttle does not have flower motiff.
Sold at Wally Mart and most plant stores

Cons;
Not Shaveblog approved.
Anti-Moss Mania appeal.

dubes

Post by dubes »

Actually, the blue one in the middle isn't bad looking at all--certainly the most masculine-looking of the three. If only it were Shaveblog-approved.... :lol:

Mike
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

My comments on the matter are premature, as I won't receive mine for a good month yet. However, I think Chris's ingenuity and generosity are worthy of accolades, regardless of what my individual experience ends up being. While our little corner of the world doesn't generate enough business to make Microsoft blanch, nonetheless, a lot of people are enjoying this scuttle, and all Chris gets out of the deal is our hardy thanks. Well that, and his name is on the product. But no royalties, no patents, no home in the Hamptons...not that I know of, at least. Anyway, Chris, thanks for the contribution you have made to this craft. And thank you to Sara, too, for contributing the labor. It's nice when these kinds of things happen.

Nathan
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Actually, I don't mind if you want to grow violets in the scuttle either!

No thanks needed.....my reward is the hot lather I enjoy in the mornings.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Cutman

Post by Cutman »

Could we grant Sara and Chris some kind of SMF award? Honorary chairpersons of some esteemed society?

My scuttle arrived yesterday ... all earthy and beautiful. Love the design and the function! Lather stays warm throughout a long shave.

Thanks Sara, thanks Chris: you've done a great work!
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

As far as I'm concerned, Dr. Moss is already Chairman of the Board on this forum. 8)
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

What does that make Gordon? The Consigliere?

N
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

JackieMartling wrote:What does that make Gordon? The Consigliere?

N
No Gordon is the Viceroy of this forum. :lol:
SupaDongzu

Post by SupaDongzu »

As much as I loved the ribbing in the start of this thread, I am all over the idea of the violet pot scuttle.

You see, I'm moving to London soon and trying to ship a minimum of crockery and other fragiles. Also, I don't have an address over there yet, and an order for a moss wouldn't reach here in time. So I've kind of resigned myself to just ignoring the moss scuttle craze and moving on.

But this DIY moss idea is a real winner. Themba, you have my thanks! I'll start shopping for one of the smaller teapot-style violet pots as soon as I'm done making a raid at the Taylor's store in St. James's.
"If, as they say, God spanked the town
for being over frisky,
why did He burn the churches down
and save Hotaling's whisky?"
-- San Francisco Earthquake rhyme, 1906
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

Another MUST HAVE piece of shaving parafanalia! 8)

I am tired of chasing my mug around in a sink of hot water...so what's a guy to do? I just ordered my very own Moss Scuttle! :)

OK, it's done!!! Now the wait~~~~! :cry:
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir
themba

Post by themba »

PottyDoctor, are you located in the USA? Can you give me a ball park for the total price to get one. I will probably put some of my Injectors on Ebay to drum up some funds. The Moss Scuttle is $40. There is no shipping calculator on Sara's site to give me an idea, I think it goes to me putting my credit card info in.
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

drmoss_ca wrote:Actually, I don't mind if you want to grow violets in the scuttle either!

No thanks needed.....my reward is the hot lather I enjoy in the mornings.
Chris, as I've said before, you do deserve a lot of credit. As was the case with your book, you sacraficed personal profit fo rthe greater good.

Maybe it's not too late to make some income on this if can come up with a version for everyman, the Fusion set. Maybe a plastic version filled with heat absorbing gel so you can give it a quick shot in the microwave and enjoy a warm lather shave.
Joe
cigar-&-Shave

Post by cigar-&-Shave »

I ordered a Moss Scuttle… I think it’s going to make a damn fine Sake (Japanese rice wine) warmer. I’ll warm my shave cream in the morning and my sake at night. :D
Cutman

Post by Cutman »

themba wrote:PottyDoctor, are you located in the USA? Can you give me a ball park for the total price to get one. I will probably put some of my Injectors on Ebay to drum up some funds. The Moss Scuttle is $40. There is no shipping calculator on Sara's site to give me an idea, I think it goes to me putting my credit card info in.
Themba,

I believe the shipping was roughly $20 to Colorado. Keep in mind the scuttle and shipping are priced in $CDN. It should be less in USD, unless the exchange rate suddenly flips.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Shipping to SLC, Utah was about $25 USD. Pricey, maybe, but I want one, and it's cheaper than driving out to pick it up. I don't know if that was all postal charge or included packing...regardless, where else can you get one?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

rtaylor61 wrote:Shipping to SLC, Utah was about $25 USD. Pricey, maybe, but I want one, and it's cheaper than driving out to pick it up. I don't know if that was all postal charge or included packing...regardless, where else can you get one?

Randy

Yes, and it's a unique, hand-made, custom-designed (to Chris's specifications), possibly limited-edition product. Considering that, $40 seems quite a reasonable asking price; $65 doesn't seem so outlandish, either, so I just consider the shipping as part of the "value" of the product.

Nathan
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

Ditto!
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

Maybe Sara should start putting numbers and dates on these; on the bottom where her signature is.

BobS
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Oh man, you guys. If this was a few years ago you could have picked one of these bad boys up for Canadian $0.65 on one US dollar. Now the Loonie is $0.90US.

Now the balls in our court, US items are 30% cheaper!
Richard
PottyDoctor

Post by PottyDoctor »

rtaylor61 wrote:Shipping to SLC, Utah was about $25 USD. Pricey, maybe, but I want one, and it's cheaper than driving out to pick it up. I don't know if that was all postal charge or included packing...regardless, where else can you get one?

Randy
Right on! And I might note once again that the price one pays is not for some mass produced "cookie cutter" shaving mug intended for sale on the great cyberspace flea market. If you buy one of Mrs. Bonnyman's pieces, you are buying an individually handmade funtional piece of pottery, which is a work of art!

What is really neat is that no two are just alike. This makes each one a timeless classic, in my book anyway. A piece that one can proudly display in their shaving den and tell your grandkids, "I had this one custom made." What a deal for a custom made piece of functional art :!:
Happy Shaving,

Ron

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. It's the way you deal with it that makes the difference!" -- Virginia Satir