Blade disposal. How do you do it?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Donate them to the new Shivs for Kids Fund. 8)
Mike_S

Post by Mike_S »

I reuse them to scrape the tartar from my teeth. Prevents gingivitis.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Tape them to the outside of a frisbee and throw it into a crowd of children, puppys, or kittens. :o
Richard
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

If I have a 10 pack, I shove the old one in the back.
If I have loose ones wrapped, I wrap the old one in the new one's wrapper and then toss it in the trash.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

Guess I could have asked for creative uses for old blades as well! :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Shivs 4 Kids
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Gatorade wrote:Guess I could have asked for creative uses for old blades as well! :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Shivs 4 Kids
They take old toothbrushes as well. :twisted:
Dominic
OilPull

Post by OilPull »

I use the ClassicShaving blade bank, but I really like the piggy bank idea.

As for the old medicine cabinet slot -- my bro-in-law is a home remodeler and has found more than a few of these blade caches between the studs behind old vanities. He told me that often the old slotted medicine cabinet has been replaced and he doesn't find the blades until he demos the wall. He described it as a nasty surprise, and one that often delays the job for awhile as you carefully pick up 5 decades of old blades and then package them for disposal. I asked him what he puts them in for disposal, and he just said, "Whatever I got."

- Bryan
A desk is a dangerous place to watch the world.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

OilPull wrote:I use the ClassicShaving blade bank, but I really like the piggy bank idea.

As for the old medicine cabinet slot -- my bro-in-law is a home remodeler and has found more than a few of these blade caches between the studs behind old vanities. He told me that often the old slotted medicine cabinet has been replaced and he doesn't find the blades until he demos the wall. He described it as a nasty surprise, and one that often delays the job for awhile as you carefully pick up 5 decades of old blades and then package them for disposal. I asked him what he puts them in for disposal, and he just said, "Whatever I got."

- Bryan
Interesting. So the blades used to just get pushed through the wall and into the {whatever the word is for the gap in between two walls} then? I was wondering about that.
Dominic
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

I used to own a house that was built in 1922 - when I remodeled the bathroom, I ripped off the wall, and there was a wad of blades about 18" wide, 4" thick and about two and a half feet deep (ie up the wall) - what a rusty, disgusting mess that was - probably enough old DNA to create an army of geezers (although, who would want a geezer army is totally beyond me!) I would never do that to anybody.

I've got a ClassicShaving blade bank, and when it gets full, I empty them out on a newspaper and squeeze a wad of glue over all of them and wrap them up and put them in the garage over night until the glue sets up, then throw them in the trash.

-whatever

-Lou
"...of all the gin-joints, in all the towns, in all the world..."
Hawkish

Post by Hawkish »

Where is this blade bank on ClassicShaving? Looking all over and can't find it. Probably right in front of my face... :roll:

Adam
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

Ichabod wrote:If I have a 10 pack, I shove the old one in the back.
If I have loose ones wrapped, I wrap the old one in the new one's wrapper and then toss it in the trash.
Lies, show a picture of one of your custom wind chimes
ina_lather

Post by ina_lather »

Hawkish wrote:Where is this blade bank on ClassicShaving? Looking all over and can't find it. Probably right in front of my face... :roll:

Adam

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/i ... 799291.htm

It's on the Feather Razor page - the bank is designed to handle Feather A/C blades, but it works equally as well for DE's and SE's

-whatever

-Lou
"...of all the gin-joints, in all the towns, in all the world..."
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado

Post by With The Grain »

edit- lou got it
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Are you sure the piggy bank is a good idea? What if your kids open it up and stick their fingers in there expecting to swipe some change? I'm all for teaching a lesson, but this might get social services involved....
Richard
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I use a blade bank similar to this one:

I got it for 99¢.

Hoss
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

Hi;

Several years ago, I started using a metal container that tea was stored in. I took the lid off, cut a slot in it with a Dremel, then superglued the lid back on. The can is painted and has some interesting designs on it, and kind of adds a bit of decoration to the bathroom. Even after a couple of years, the can is baredly half full.

BobS
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I bought an old bank at an antique store. It's a promotional item from a bank for some town's centennial or something. It's like about a 16 oz steel pop can with a slot in the top. It's not made to be opened other than by using a can opener. It'll take me years to fill it. It was 99¢. It's not particularly good looking, but I keep it in the cabinet under my sink so that's not important.

I've seen banks like this that look like Campbell's soup cans, too, but they're usually more expensive.

Mike
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Mike R wrote:I bought an old bank at an antique store. It's a promotional item from a bank for some town's centennial or something. It's like about a 16 oz steel pop can with a slot in the top. It's not made to be opened other than by using a can opener. It'll take me years to fill it. It was 99¢. It's not particularly good looking, but I keep it in the cabinet under my sink so that's not important.

I've seen banks like this that look like Campbell's soup cans, too, but they're usually more expensive.

Mike
Talking about Campbell's soups, this is what I did:

Buy a can of that tomato soup, it's cheap and it's liquid, use a flat screwdriver and a serrated knife and make a long slot on the top.
Drain out the soup and rinse it out, now you have a nice razor bank.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Um... I just throw them in the garbage.

I'm guessing that's bad???
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

jaybee wrote:Um... I just throw them in the garbage.

I'm guessing that's bad???
I have small kids in the house. The don't play in the trash but there is always a first time.
--Charlie
AACJ wrote:Two words:

Duct Tape