Noob alert

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Noob alert

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Hello Gentlemen,
My name is Ilija and I came from another shaving related forum...
Basic stats: I'm 26 years old, 50/50 Serbian/Macedonian mix, currently residing in Canada. Got a history degree from UofT, a little Mazda and not much of anything else.
History: Started with Mach 3 and Quattro, but they were giving me major razor burn issues, so I switched to electrics for close to a decade. Used a Braun and then a Philips. About the same, nothing to write home about. Then I got curious about straight razor shaving. The logical argument was that I didn't want to be dependent on electricity. After giving myself a couple of scars with this low-quality Made in PK blade I found a forum that really helped me gear up and learn what I needed to know. The PK-blade was used for restoration experimentation and is currently residing in a Michigan landfill.
Gear:
-Wilkinson plastic bristle brush (used for pre-shave treatment and travelling where people are likely to steal stuff)
-C&E Best Badger brush (regular use)
-Wilkinson soap (like the brush I bought it when I was just trying things out and it's only used for pre-shave treatment)
-TGQ Cavendish Black and Orange Patchouli soaps (glycerine and clay based, they rock)
-C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream
-Dominica Bay Rum as
-Paco Rabbane as
-My own ethanol-based as mix with almond oil, vitamin e, mint/sage/chamomile. It's ok but I prefer DBR
-Tony Miller Heirloom strop
-Norton 4k/8k 3" waterstone (I should have got the 2")
-Japanese 4k+8k slipstones (adequate but slow cutters)
-Norton 220/1000 stone (for REALLY rough blades)
-40cm^2 Coticule (for blade touchups/fine polish)
Shaving rotation:
1) Taylor's Eye Witness 6/8 FH-grind (this razor's AMAZING)
2) DOVO Bismarck 5/8 bone handle FH singer
3) The Winner 5/8 FH (a cheap e-bay find, easily cleaned up/honed, GREAT shaver)
4) M&Y 6/8 wedge (ugly as he**, with rubber scales but gives decent shaves)
5) DD Satinedge 5/8 FH singer with DOVO SS-satin scales
6) G. Butler 6/8 FH with temporary scales from a busted W&B project (working on a new set of scales for it)
Projects:
1) W. Walker 6/8 barber's notch wedge (difficult honing project)
2) W&B 6/8 HH spike (needs a thorough cleaning/polish/hone and I'm working on a set of yew scales for it)
3) Tonsorial Gem 5/8 FH singer (needs a good clean/polish/honing)
Wish-list:
1) A couple of razors that I'm not going to mention because I'm trolling the e-bay for them lol.
2) A TI 6/8 singer with black horn scales
3) A Shapton Pro Series 15k stone
4) An ebony-handled 22mm knot Silvertip brush from Matt
Additional info:
I tried DE shaving after going straight, but I found both the experience and the performance to be a bit lacking compared to going straight. No flaming please, to each his own.

I guess that covers it for starters. I am looking forward to both learning and contributing here.
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

You don't look like a NOOB to me. Welcome. :P

j
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

Well I've picked up a few things along the way, thanks to quite a few good and very helpful people. I hope I can give some of it back. I am always willing to help, especially with straight-razor shaving. Even though I am nowhere close to Lynn's, Randy's or Bill's skill level, there must be something I can also bring to this place.

Edit: P.S. Thanks for the welcome :)
"The downfall of any system of government is that it is run by humans." -- Ilija Milicevic
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

FiReSTaRT wrote:-My own ethanol-based as mix with almond oil, vitamin e, mint/sage/chamomile. It's ok but I prefer DBR
Just because you have a low post count doesn't mean nOOb. You clearly make that arguement!

Above you mentioned you mixed your own AS. Can I get some more details? How? Where to find ingredients? Variations you have tried?
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

It was a short-term project without much success... The base for the aftershave was keeping a good amount of mint/sage/chamomile soaking in 99% eth. Once I strained it out, I had enough for 3 batches (made 2).

1) I added vitamin e, aloe vera gel and glycerin to the mix, to make it about 55% alcohol. The glycerin tended to settle on the bottom and needed vigorous shaking before use. It left skin nice and soft but it was too much of a hassle to use, so I tried a different approach.
2) I replaced the glycerin with almond oil. I also added a bit of peppermint and eucaliptus EOs. Takes less shaking, leaves the skin nice and soft, but it's a bit greasy. The effect is especially apparent with a straight shave.

I still have enough base for one more small batch, but I don't want to mess around with this stuff when I have several blade restoration projects going that are a higher priority, especially since I still have a good supply of DBR, which works just fine even on my sensitive skin.

Edit:
Where to find the ingredients:
-Alcohol -- any pharmacy
-The herbs -- any grocery store (well I used the mint that my stepdad grows)
-EOs -- Bulk Barn (probably any better-equipped bulk food store)
-Vitamin E -- Any pharmacy, I just cut open a few capsules and squeezed'em into the mix
-Almond oil -- some random health food/supplement store
-Aloe -- easy to find all over the place
-Glycerin -- any pharmacy
Gatorade

Post by Gatorade »

FiReSTaRT wrote:It was a short-term project without much success... The base for the aftershave was keeping a good amount of mint/sage/chamomile soaking in 99% eth. Once I strained it out, I had enough for 3 batches (made 2).

1) I added vitamin e, aloe vera gel and glycerin to the mix, to make it about 55% alcohol. The glycerin tended to settle on the bottom and needed vigorous shaking before use. It left skin nice and soft but it was too much of a hassle to use, so I tried a different approach.
2) I replaced the glycerin with almond oil. I also added a bit of peppermint and eucaliptus EOs. Takes less shaking, leaves the skin nice and soft, but it's a bit greasy. The effect is especially apparent with a straight shave.

I still have enough base for one more small batch, but I don't want to mess around with this stuff when I have several blade restoration projects going that are a higher priority, especially since I still have a good supply of DBR, which works just fine even on my sensitive skin.

Edit:
Where to find the ingredients:
-Alcohol -- any pharmacy
-The herbs -- any grocery store (well I used the mint that my stepdad grows)
-EOs -- Bulk Barn (probably any better-equipped bulk food store)
-Vitamin E -- Any pharmacy, I just cut open a few capsules and squeezed'em into the mix
-Almond oil -- some random health food/supplement store
-Aloe -- easy to find all over the place
-Glycerin -- any pharmacy
I hear you about the projects backing up. A few here have made soap and blended creams to make custom stuff but I have not heard of making AS. I guess it would be similar to an infusion to get the scents into the alcohol. I can also see how the oil and alcohol would sepparate. Would make me feel like I was serving salad instead of slapping on AS!
FiReSTaRT
As straight as they come

Post by FiReSTaRT »

As I said, it works but not too well. So I am leaving this one to the professionals and sticking to my hones. The rest of the base will end up as a muscle rub.
I was a tester for Colleen when she made some great soaps/creams based on some 1930s recipes. They're so good that I've got more soaps than bowls for'em lol. Even though she has some coconut-based scents, my favourites are:
-Cavendish Black (sweet but masculine scent, but since she uses FOs for that one, it may not be good for ultra-sensitive skin)
-Orange Patchouli (just EOs in a glycerin/clay base)
-Desert Ironwood (same as Orange Patchouli, just a different scent).
I already posted her e-mail in the unscented cream discussion.
And no, I don't get any advertising revenue, just love the products lol.