BBQ Grills and more specifically, Kamados

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: BBQ Grills and more specifically, Kamados

Post by Sam »

Still going strong with my Weber kettle. Got me a beer can chicken stand and gonna start doing it that way. Been pretty bad by going to Costco or Kroger and getting their roasted chicken for $5. Makes two or more meals for my wife and I.

Also, gotta try ribs. I know it can be done, just gotta figure out how to regulate it down to 225 and cook and add coals at the proper time
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Pit Barrel Cooker for me. Great results every time.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Great thread! Thanks to all for the input.

Always interested to learn new ways to BBQ.

I have a standard Weber kettle and it does OK for our seven member family. I haven't done anything long cooking on it though and have always wondered about other methods - for Summer and all. One day I'll step up, probably when the wife and I are empty-nesters.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We have always had gas - and currently own a Weber Genesis with a direct line to our natural gas hookup from our home. Very economical, and much cleaner than a grill. Our oldest son does wondrous things with charcoal - smoking, slow cooking, the lot. We are fans of heavy-duty marinating and get good flavour with slow cooking on the natural gas that way.

I must admit every once and a while I have this hankering for a charcoal grill --- then I watch my son cleaning and tending to his and I think --- "Naw".

ymmv

:D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:22 am We have always had gas - and currently own a Weber Genesis with a direct line to our natural gas hookup from our home. Very economical, and much cleaner than a grill. Our oldest son does wondrous things with charcoal - smoking, slow cooking, the lot. We are fans of heavy-duty marinating and get good flavour with slow cooking on the natural gas that way.

I must admit every once and a while I have this hankering for a charcoal grill --- then I watch my son cleaning and tending to his and I think --- "Naw".

ymmv

:D
Couldn’t agree with you more. I too have a Weber Genesis and occasionally get a hankering for a charcoal grill, but that soon passes. A friend of mine has a Green Egg, but after watching him grill on it I’m not convinced that it’s worth the price or the effort. It’s somewhat the same as wet shaving: some people like cartridge razors (gas grill), some people prefer DE/SE (charcoal grill) and a few people go for straight razors (Green Egg grills). As for me, I’m a cartridge razor and gas grill man all the way; both get the job done to my complete satisfaction with little fuss or ceremony. 8)
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So Bryan -- what does a natural gas grill and a DE and SE razor tell you about me????? :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 am So Bryan -- what does a natural gas grill and a DE and SE razor tell you about me????? :wink:
Hmmm, let’s see now...having your cake and eating it too? The possibilities are limitless. :mrgreen:
Bryan
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I highly recommend a Kamado style grill. I have both a Big Green Egg and a Kamado Joe and use them for everything from smoking to searing to baking.

ImageImage

ImageImage

In regards to meat thermometers, I recommend both an insta-read thermopen as well as a chef's alarm thermometer. With the chef alarm, you set your desired internal temperature. You will receive an alert when you hit it.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil