Spam?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
EL Alamein

Re: Spam?

Post by EL Alamein » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:29 pm

Brian, I don't know.

For myself, I love French cooking. I'm trying think of how Julia Child, Elizabeth David, or even a Provencal housecook might prepare this stuff. I'm thinking they'd treat it like sausage. Though, in reality, they'd probably avoid it altogether unless it were a post WWII situation where you had to make the best of anything that might be available.

First thought - mince it and use it in a stuffing with herbs and such for a turkey or chicken. Bah, who knows!

Chris

brothers

Post by brothers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Chris, I might make a spaghetti-type sauce properly loaded with pieces of spam. Might be good with cheese tortellini or ravioli. Or the Spam could replace meatballs for spaghetti.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Ahh, OK, understood Chris!

If Spam was unflavored it might be easier. Thankfully it's not heavily seasoned in the original version, but it is salted. Yes, I can see it taking on sausage seasonings. Maybe as sausage gravy with biscuits; seasonings added to the gravy. I would also suggest grinding the spam and seasonings together and allowing them to rest to meld overnight, but I don't know how that would result in texture. Maybe food process it (pulsed a few times) ? Or maybe used as part of a pig stew using the feet, knuckles, etc'. It would be an old country stew; that is, not "high" on the hog but low on the hog. Lot's of folks won't eat that today though (I would and do). Spam would also be good used in a bean soup, esp' if some liquid smoke is added (very sparingly and taste to adjust), don't forget a bay leaf, bay makes a huge difference if used sparingly. One bay leaf or less per qt of soup is about right for me. Heck, I can see sliced spam and sauerkraut working.

Now you have me thinking. I intend to try some of the things I suggested.

FWIW, when I was with the West German army they made a bean soup with sausage in it that was to kill for. So my suggestion using spam in bean soup didn't come out of the vacuum.

Any grease/fat that comes out of the spam in what I suggested (above) would be desired for flavor. I would also add the can gelatin and not discard it.

It's not Michelin star cooking, just down "stick to the ribs" home cooking.

I have to share this... When I was much younger mom would make a bean (or pea) soup from the bones of a smoked ham or smoked knuckles (mine today is better- sorry mom, but it is, or thanks to you it is. Mom trained me. :) ). I loved the stuff. There was nothing finer after coming in from a winters day outside. I make it to this day. I never knew this but a brother absolutely hated the stuff. I suggested it when he was visiting and I got an earful. I never knew. I would trade C ration B2 units (cheese or peanut butter and crackers) to other GIs for their ham and lima beans. I always thought I was getting the better of the deal, but I witnessed some genuine dislike for the traded items, so I guess something genuine really was there. I only know that it was difficult to screw up for my taste buds in even the C rations.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:04 pm

I smoked a sliced up can of Spam this evening, along with a package of jalapeno cheddar sausages. I've got them in the freezer so I can have them for lunch as needed.
Gary