Basic Muffin Mix

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Basic Muffin Mix

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm not any kind of expert on muffins, and regard them as a great treat given the high fat and sugar content. I do have a basic recipe to which all sorts of flavouring extras can be added, and it goes like this:

Wet Ingredients:
1 cup milk (cow's, soy or made up from dried - all work)
2 eggs (I use either commercial egg replacer or okara* - 1TBSP of okara and 2TBSP off water is the same as one egg. Wife's allergic but being desensitised)
¼ cup olive oil

Dry Ingredients:
1¾ cups wholewheat flour
½ cup sugar, brown is nice if you have it
1 heaped TBSP baking powder
½ tsp salt

Mix the wet and the dry separately. Whatever flavouring or extra ingredient you want the muffins to have should go in either the wet or the dry before mixing. So this morning I made up the above, and added 2 TBSP cocoa, 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ cup dried cherries to the dry ingredients before mixing. It could just have easily involved chocolate chips, diced apples or whatever is to hand and you fancy.

Then the wet and dry mixes are combined. I use my bench mixer for the dry ingredients and then add the wet to that once it has mixed. I also use a fine sieve to avoid lumps in the baking powder, cocoa etc.

Spoon the resultant goo into paper muffin cups sitting in muffin trays. The amounts above will make a dozen. Each paper cup should be no more than one third full. Place in a preheated 425º oven for 15 minutes.

Place the muffins on a rack when they come out to cool. Resist eating all of them straight away!

Chris
*if you want, I'll explain about okara
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Re: Basic Muffin Mix

Post by brothers »

Down here we see/eat a lot of okra, and for a brief moment I thought you'd made a typo. Obviously it's not okra. :) These made from scratch muffins sound and look great, still hot from the oven. Every few months one of my granddaughters (age eight) and I make some muffins. Ours is way too simple, but still very good. I can of pumpkin mixed with a box of Duncan Hines spice cake mix, in and out of the oven and everybody starts grabbing them. The thing is, they taste just like gingerbread. She's the one that likes to do stuff. Maybe next time I'll ask her what flavor(s) of muffins she'd prefer, instead of the usual. Then we'd use your recipe to mix it up with her ingredient list and see what happens. We always seem to get the cups a bit too full of batter. #-o :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Okara is the residue left from soy beans after making soymilk. It contains all the fibre and 40% of the protein, but is practically tasteless and has the texture of particulate mashed potatoes. You can cook with it in many ways, but I usually make oatcakes with it. It will also be a perfectly good egg-substitute when baking. You just have to turn this:

into this:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
dosco

Post by dosco »

Chris:
Where does one purchase Okara?

-Dave
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I don't know - I make it as a by product when making soy milk.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Back to the muffins for a second. This afternoon the granddaughter and I made a pact that she will tell me her favorite ingredients and we'll make some muffins. Now it's up to her to decide what flavoring items we should use (maybe she'll let me make a few suggestions).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today's the day! Her two sisters also helped. I made the command decision that we'd use cherries, chocolate chips, and pecans. We had a blast, and the muffins came out remarkably good for a first effort. Thanks Chris!
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

They're easy, aren't they?

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, easy for sure.
Gary