ShadowsDads Milk Substitute

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

ShadowsDads Milk Substitute

Post by ShadowsDad »

I keep the nuts frozen so that they stay fresh. The hard part is remembering they're in there to make the product. I make this in a Vita-Mix, a different blender will take longer to turn the nuts into quite literally liquid with nothing to strain out. That's what you're looking for, 100% conversion to liquid, 100% conversion to nutrition.

Brians Milk Substitute (aka BBQinMaineiacs Milk Substitute- the Maineiac in question would be me)

Great for folks who are lactose intolerant, or just for those who prefer not to drink cows milk. This is the best milk substitute I’ve tasted. Makes great chocolate milk too!

Ingredients:

6 raw almonds
6 raw hazelnuts
1 cup Raw Cashews
3 cups water, divided into 1 cup/2 cups
Vanilla extract (optional)
sweetener or a date or two (optional)

Put 1 cup of water in a blender. Take 1 cup measure and add the 6 almonds and hazelnuts. Add enough raw cashews to fill the measure. Add to blender. Blend until virtually nothing remains of the nuts, this will take a few minutes and the mixture may get warm. Add remaining water, mix.

Taste. If desired add optional ingredients to taste. If using a date for sweetness blend the bejabbers out of it so that it's all turned into liquid. For a creamier taste/texture add a few more cashews. Strain if desired, cool and serve.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Re: ShadowsDads Milk Substitute

Post by brothers »

Neat Brian, just a question, why don't you post your recipes in the little forum up above that Chris set up for that purpose? :D

PS: the recipe sounds delicious. I like nuts.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Whoops! I thought I was posting them in the right place.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

OK, I'm completely and officially confused. I explored and that's dangerous.

I saw somewhere that I've already posted this milk substitute recipe. Was it in a thread?

And there's a subforum for recipes in the recipe forum?

Chris, please delete this recipe since it's here (somewhere) already.
Brian

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Brian, I think you might have posted your milk subsititute recipe (or made reference to it, at least) in the Gentlemen's Parlor before the Cooking & Recipe's forum was created. Even so, it's better to have it twice than to risk not having it at all. :)

- Murray
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll move the thread into the right spot.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Since purchasing our Vita-Mix a year and a half ago, we have always wanted to try making almond milk but never, for some reason, got around to it. While not lactose intolerant, I have frankly always preferred a good soy, almond or rice milk alternative. Since dedicating ourselves to controlling and managing our weight 2 years ago, our milk consumption has diminished significantly -- but that doesn't make me not want to give this a try. Looks delicious.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Chris I'm still genuinely confused. Where should they be posted? I see a forum for recipes (where I posted), then a subforum for recipes that's part of the forum for recipes. What am I missing? Where do we post recipes?
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that it's been fixed, I think it'll be much easier to figure out where we're supposed to post. Thanks Chris. PS, my next recipe's coming soon. I just have to find it first.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

ShadowsDad wrote:Chris I'm still genuinely confused. Where should they be posted? I see a forum for recipes (where I posted), then a subforum for recipes that's part of the forum for recipes. What am I missing? Where do we post recipes?
Brian,
I had a PM from someone who felt strongly that the recipes should stand alone and not get contaminated with general kitchen chat. But since no one posted them in the subforum, I have moved all its posts into the Cooking & Recipes main forum and done away with the subforum.
In other words, just post them right here and keep them coming!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Ahh! I understand. Sorry for my confusion.
Brian

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I don't have the wherewithal to make almond milk from scratch, but it sounds like an interesting idea, so was wondering if there are any recommendations for the store-bought variety. I've been using Rice Dream rice milk for years but there are times when I wish I had a thicker brew (making smoothies or macaroni & cheese). I generally like the lightness and mild sweetness of this rice milk but expect the almond will be lots creamier and richer than I'm used to, so am hoping not to be overwhelmed with it all.

Lots of brands and varieties (not just almond milk) to choose from on the supermarket shelves, so any guidance through the non-bovine maze would be appreciated.
Ron
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

All of the commercial mono ingredient faux milks I've ever tried have been a dissappointment. Which is why I formulated my own. Do none of your neighbors have a blender that you can borrow? Maybe get them interested in the product and sink the hook? Get them involved in the making of it?

The best I ever had of that sort (commercial mono ingredient faux milk), many years ago, was a vanilla flavored soy milk. Sorry I can't remember the name. But I stopped drinking it when I heard a rumor that the phyto estrogens in soy could contribute to enlarged male breasts. Since it was vanilla flavored it's not something you want to cook with.

I've used Almond Dream (?) in the past and it wasn't terrible, but they're all watery tasting IMO. Maybe someone else has experience here.

Oat milk has a weak oat flavor. It tastes like starchy grain, oats of course.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm about 90% free of dairy, still take a hit of half and half, butter, ice cream, once in a while just because I like them. My go to product is soy milk. Haven't had any consciousness of phyto-something-or-other or any awareness of anything becoming artificially enlarged, so I'm sticking with it. I tried a half gallon of flax milk a while back and that tastes like watered-down "nothing". Still haven't figured out why they even bother with that.
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

The rice milk is already watery, so it's definitely not a good mixer, but I've grown accustomed to it on my cereal. I just assumed the almond would be thicker, for some reason. No mixers to borrow, but I have an old beat-up mini-blender I got for a buck at a second-hand store before I moved, which doesn't look strong enough to do the mixing required, but I'll clear off the counter, put on an old lab smock and goggles, and see what I can come up with.

My only other alternative is to go back to Lactaid milk for the times I need something thicker. I've done that in the past when I couldn't afford the rice milk, but I really don't want to get back into the cow's-milk habit.
Ron
Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite »

Now that I have switched to a raw food diet I actually had all of the ingredients in my kitchen. my proportions are all off, because I accidentally moved the switch to high on my Vitamix blender and didn't use the lid. The ingredients that didn't spray on the cabinets and wall is now safely in the refrigerator to chill. I took the liberty to add raw cacao powder and an extra date to make chocolate milk.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The Vitamix might make a fairly decent paint sprayer without the lid. You have my condolences. I bet you don't do that twice. I know once was enough for me when I did it. BTDT

For chocolate I use Stevita chocolate mix. But cocoa powder and stevia would probably work just as well and be low calorie.

Let me know how you like it.
Brian