New KitchenAid mixer

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Re: New KitchenAid mixer

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dave, I buy my yeast in a bulk package. But if others use yeast in lesser amounts that won't work. Since you're baking lots of bread I suggest the bulk purchase. I think I last bought a vac pac of SAF yeast. Too much yeast for most folks, but not if you're making bread frequently. I keep mine in a glass jar in the reefer and don't even proof it. It's fresh; it works.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Dave,

Can't disagree with your comments about KAF and their site and all the help you get there. You can even chat with a baker during the day and early evening and get tips when things don't turn out right. Believe me that part of their site has helped me become a better bread baker.

About the bread flour. I have made bread with both KAF APF and KAF BF. Found that I get the best bread by using a 3-1 ratio of KAF APF to KAF BF. And I also weigh my flour rather than scooping it out of the canister. Gives me better control at getting the correct amount of flour for the recipe. KAF says a cup of flour weights 4.25 oz.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Weighing is faster too! I weigh most everything into my mixing bowl and just retare the scale after each addition. Fast and simple. I like that.

edit, Possum, is that weight for APF or BF? They'll be different.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

Bryce:
+1 with regards to measuring by weight. I put my bowl on the scale, hit "tare," load each flour (hitting "tare" every time), salt then "tare," etc. etc.

Definitely faster, easier to ensure compliance with the recipe, and ensures accurate hydration.

Cheers-
Dave
brothers

Post by brothers »

The outcome was that our 2.5 year old Keurig (branded Breville because it came through Williams Sonoma) became a hassle and I tossed it into the dumpster. The person who gave us the mixer kindly approved of the trade and provided the receipt. We took it to Target and traded it for a new Keurig that is a vast improvement. Both appliances (mixer and coffee maker) cost approximately the same. We wouldn't have used the mixer enough to justify keeping it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444