Potica

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Potica

Post by ShadowsDad »

Every holiday season my mom would make a few loaves of this. But this is the first time I ever made it. It was actually pretty easy. If you can make cinnamon buns you can make this and you'll find it easier.

Next time I plan on roasting and grinding the walnuts days ahead so that I'm not forced to do everything on one day.

Walnut Potica

Ingredients

Bread:
2 - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package active dry yeast
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup margarine or butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs

Filling:
3 cups roasted (roasting is optional) & ground walnuts (I roasted at 350°F for 20 minutes turning every 5 minutes. )
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup honey
1 slightly beaten egg
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
1. In a bowl combine 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a saucepan heat the 1/3 cup milk, 1/4 cup margarine or butter, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and margarine or butter almost melts. Add to flour mixture. Then add 2 eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

2. On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/4 hours).

3. Meanwhile, for filling, mix walnuts, the 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup margarine or butter, honey, remaining egg and milk, and the vanilla. Set aside.

4. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two 7-1/2x3-1/2x2- or 8x4x2-inch loaf pans. On a lightly floured cloth, roll dough into a 15-inch square. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Then roll dough into a 30x20-inch rectangle. See note below.*

5. To assemble, cut dough lengthwise in half to form two 30x10-inch sheets. Spread filling evenly over surface of both dough rectangles, keeping to within 1 inch of the edges. Using the cloth as a guide, roll each rectangle up into a spiral, starting from a short side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place loaves, seam sides down, in the prepared loaf pans. Cover and let rise until nearly double (45 to 60 minutes).

6. Bake in a 325 degree F oven 45 to 50 minutes until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. If necessary, cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning. Remove from pans; cool. Makes 2 loaves (32 servings).

Make-Ahead Tip::
7. Place cooled bread in an airtight container or wrap in foil and place in a plastic freezer bag. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw 2 hours at room temperature before serving.

* There was no way that I could get the dough thin enough for the size required. I got it 16" wide and however long and called it good. Maybe a Potica master could roll it out thinner.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square