My favourite pizza

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

My favourite pizza

Post by Rufus »

Actually is quite simple: cheese, tomato sauce and ESCARGOT. Yes, escargot! The local Italian restaurant we frequent keeps a tin of escargot on hand for people with strange tastes, such as me, as it's not a standard menu item. I like Hawaiian pizza and fungi pizza also, but escargot tops my list. What's your favourite pizza? I'm always on the lookout for something new to try.
Bryan
Scrapyard Ape

Re: My favourite pizza

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I'm a bit of a traditionalist when in comes to pizza. I prefer a New York style pie(sorry Chicago.. that's just how it is) When I do get something different, it is not very "exotic". Maybe some hot chile's.

On a side note.. if no one has seen Jon Stewart's rant about New York pizza vs. Chicago pizza, here you go. It is worth a view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8IKxbOpt0E
~Greg
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Standard pizza for me. Homemade by my wife rather than from a pizzeria. Cheese, extra sauce and pepperoni or Hawaiian with ham, bacon and pineapple. Veggie is good too with green peppers, mushrooms and sweet onions. Again all homemade using my wife's bread recipe for the dough. Man I am getting hungry all of a sudden.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I sort of bounce around. Lately I've been enjoying a thin crispy crust with double pepperoni and double sauce.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

You may not believe this, but when we're out and about and the urge hits we do the Little Caesers (sp?) $5 pepperoni. It's not terrible. It is quick.

My preference though, by far, is homemade; the ATK dough and a simple cheese and pepperoni topping for the both of us. ATK says their dough is good up to 3 days... I beg to differ. I find it OK up to 10 days when in a refrigerator hovering near 32°F. That makes fantastic homemade pizza doable over a wide window. But I can't touch Little Caesers price. BTW, it's NY style pizza. That's what I was raised on and Jon Stewart is right (IMO). I have made other styles but for us they just don't match NY style (ATK) pizza.

When we're doing multiple pizzas, like when the wife and I have friends over, I do a 1/2 anchovy pizza so that I can be in pizza nirvana too. IMO if the pizza doesn't have anchovies it's simply not pizza. OK, I'm salivating from the very thought. But I'm also someone who can eat rolled anchovies with capers on a cracker and fully enjoy it... the entire can consumed that way. FWIW, when I make a 1/2 anchovie pizza I have exactly one customer for it... me. I figure folks just dont know what's good. :lol:
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

I forgot another link.

A few days after his epic pizza rant, Jon Stewart had to address the issue again due to the fallout...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhORiVsb9Mc

:mrgreen:
~Greg
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Greg, I'm still laughing at them and haven't be able to get my morning cup of tea down because of it. Deep-dish pizza, Chicago or otherwise, has no appeal for me; I like my crust thin and the thinner the better as I like to taste the pizza toppings and not the dough.

Brian, you are on to something with an anchovy pizza. I love anchovies and I'll have to put them on my next pizza in place of the escargot; I can almost taste it now.

I should mention that one of my favourite breakfasts is leftover pizza re-heated in the toaster oven.
Bryan
Barry

Post by Barry »

I like a plain old Margherita pizza. We also have a local restaurant that makes a New England style white clam pizza. I'm not sure how it compares to an actual New Haven pizza but it's pretty good.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'll give you two weird ones:
1. My very favourite pizza, even if allowed meat I would still go for this:
Tomato sauce, onion, green pepper, canned tuna (yes!), cranberry sauce(again, yes!), capers, strong cheddar (not mozarella)

2. Also weird:
Spread a thin scraping of ginger marmalade on the pizza base, tomato sauce, steamed or canned asparagus, onion, large peeled shrimp, cheese of choice (oddly, tex-mex shreds work for me).

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Chris, those are truly weird, but are worth a try; I like to try new foods and combinations thereof and your two pizzas certainly fit the bill in the latter regard.
Bryan
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

drmoss_ca wrote:Tomato sauce, onion, green pepper, canned tuna (yes!), cranberry sauce(again, yes!), capers, strong cheddar (not mozarella)
This actually sounds pretty good to me. Well... without the capers. I don't like those very much.
~Greg
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rufus, leftover pizza, even cold, is a breakfast fit for kings! Seriously, I love cold pizza in the morning.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:Rufus, leftover pizza, even cold, is a breakfast fit for kings! Seriously, I love cold pizza in the morning.
+1, me too. Any temperature pizza for breakfast is a gastronomical delight.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
ShadowsDad wrote:Rufus, leftover pizza, even cold, is a breakfast fit for kings! Seriously, I love cold pizza in the morning.
+1, me too. Any temperature pizza for breakfast is a gastronomical delight.
Even a die-hard 17-day-diet devotee gets this. +2
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

pizza for breakfast
37 thumbs up on this sentiment :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

fallingwickets wrote:
pizza for breakfast
37 thumbs up on this sentiment :D

clive
This must be a guy thing, because when I chow down on a luscious piece of pizza for breakfast the distaff side of the family looks at me in unmitigated horror. But that's good, as it means more leftover pizza for me...I'm becoming very hungry. :mrgreen:
Bryan
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

A little off topic, but for those who eat leftover pizza, reheating a slice in the frying pan works wonders. Little or no oil needed to keep from sticking (depending on what kind of pan you use) and it crisps the crust almost better than originally. Have to watch it, it will burn in seconds.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't care for cold pizza, and warming it up in a frying pan might be worth a shot. Thx.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

brothers wrote:I don't care for cold pizza...

:wink:
~Greg
brothers

Post by brothers »

+1 :D
Gary