Bread & Butter Pudding

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Bread & Butter Pudding

Post by drmoss_ca »

This is dead easy and very good. You may know bread pudding, which is a firm slab and is cut into slices, but bread and butter pudding is a different beast. The essential part is slices of stale bread that are cooked with raisins, spices, sugar and custard. There are as many variations as you can think of, and the chances are that it will work well each time. You can use white, wholewheat or fruit bread, and custard can be tinned, powdered, or the real thing with eggs and milk. If you use tinned custard thin it with some milk so it will soak into the bread. Raisins, sultanas, chopped peel - whatever you fancy. I'll tell you about a really simple version that uses some short cuts - a bought sliced fruit loaf, and instant custard powder (eg Bird's).

Take one fruit loaf and spread the slices with butter. Cut then into quarters and stack up in an oven dish. (If you were using plain bread you would sprinkle your raisins etc in between the layers.) Make two pints custard following the directions on the tin and with 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1tsp cinnamon added to it and whisked in, pour on enough to come up about 3/4 of the height of the oven dish. Press the bread down into it and let it rise up again. We want it to soak up the custard. Sprinkle some brown sugar on the top and place in a 350ºF oven for thirty minutes. Check it and put it back in, raising the temperature to 425ºF for 10 minutes to crisp the top layer that is above the custard level. When it comes out it should have risen a bit, and be quite light. Serve portions into dessert bowls and enjoy it!

I failed to photograph the one I made this evening and it's looking rather the worse for wear after being half-eaten! Here's a photo of someone else's from the web:
Photo by Ann Low at http://www.anncoojournal.com/

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Bread & Butter Pudding

Post by jww »

Chris -- your post reminded me of my childhood days. Mum made this stuff all the time ..... warmed up with some milk and a bit of maple syrup was my favourite way to eat it. Haven't had bread & butter pudding in ages.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm not a dessert eater except for Christmas pudding, trifle and bread and butter pudding. SWMBO makes a killer B&B pudding, but I'm going to ask her to make one using your recipe Chris...as I sit here drooling!
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good use for stale bread. I like bread pudding so why not a variation on the theme?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:I'm not a dessert eater except for Christmas pudding, trifle and bread and butter pudding. ...
The great triumvirate of desserts .... and all British to boot -- how good is that? Finish it off with a shave using MWF and you have nirvana!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:I'm not a dessert eater except for Christmas pudding, trifle and bread and butter pudding. ...
The great triumvirate of desserts .... and all British to boot -- how good is that?!
Better believe it. SWMBO and I arrived here on the pickle boat, she a Pom and me a colonial; have to have the comforts of home.
Bryan