What's cooking?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Re: What's cooking?

Post by ShadowsDad »

Fantastic looking loaves Dosco!

For breakfast, homemade knockoff fried Taylor Pork Roll and eggs. (You either know what TPR is or you don't need the addiction)

Here's the knockoff TPR. The roll is the only one that had a 23 hour fermentation using LHP lactobacillis. For those already addicted to TPR it's awesome, even better than TPR cold (it's precooked and a cold cut is one possible use).

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I'll post the link and my comments for production.

I have yet to do a taste test between the 18 hour fermentation, the 23 hour, and the genuine article. That'll happen soon.

Edit: I have a pork loin thawing in the shop refrigerator. When I can I'll cure it and make Canadian bacon. I want to make another butt into buckboard bacon too. Maybe we'll make another 20# of pork roll if we can find the boston butt on sale. If it gets too warm outside (It's our big refrigerator for sausage making) that's it for large quantities of sausage until the next cold snap.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Made these hamburger buns for our Sous Vide burgers that I precooked a few days ago and have in the freezer. They are dead simple and quick to make. If anyone wants the recipe let me know and I'll post it. They are much better than store bought buns and work great for sandwiches too. Made in a 1/4 sheet pan without forming into buns they'd work great for hot dog buns as well (I haven't done it). You'd need to cut them into the hot dog bun form though.

SWMBO wanted "those three" buns left w/o sesame seeds. Who am I to argue?
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

The buns look delicious. If you find the time to post the recipe, I'll make some of those. Thanks for the post. I can almost smell those fresh buns from here!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

forget posting recipe for buns,,,,just post buns fedex asap :D :D :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'd like the burger recipe.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

A local butcher just got in flat iron steaks for a decent price, all individually cryovaced. We had our name put on a mess of them. We'll pick them up tomorrow. They are perfect for sous vide- I won't need to do anything to them. Just leave them in their cryovac bags for cooking

I'll cook a mess of the flat iron steaks, 2 lamb steaks and an inside skirt steak for tacos and such. Of course I'll do them sous vide; med rare, 132°F for 6-12 hours for the steaks, a minimum of 24 hours for the thicker cut; same temp'. A friend will be over for Thursday dinner and 3 of the steaks will be consumed, the rest will be frozen in the bags for fast, high quality, no work meals. I still don't know if the skirt steak is for immediate consumption, but I suspect it will be.

The Primo is locked in ice, so until it melts a bit for extrication sous vide is a fantastic way to suffer through the grilling/bbq drought. :D
Brian

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

For Saturday dinner I cooked a centre cut pork loin and it was delicious. I brined it for nearly 24 hours and then roasted it on low (300F) heat and it came out beautifully juicy and tasty. SWMBO, who generally us not a pork lover, devoured it.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sunday evening I fired up the Hibachi pot (35 years old now) and grilled the last 3 remaining rib eyes we'd been saving since Christmas dinner. The wife stir fried some fresh asparagus with bacon, and she also oven baked some cut up potatoes with the skin on. Fresh strawberries with whipped cream for afterwards. Mmmmm!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Got a couple catfish fillets, seasoned them with some salt and cajun spice, some lemon juice and a slices of lemon and put them in my trusty Griswold #8 CI skillet and into the oven to bake a bit. When done we ate them with some creamy dill sauce. Accompanied by some rice pilaf, cut green beans and a nice tossed salad. Yummy!
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

All of the meat came out of the Sous vide bath tonight. The inside skirt steak was in for about 36 hours and went into the bath frozen. In fact all the meat went in frozen. The flat irons and the lamb steaks were in the bath for 6 hours. I had lamb and it was delicious and tender, my wife tells me that the FI steak was also. The ISS was extremely tender and again delicious. It will be used for Mexican. All of the steaks that weren't consumed tonight, other than the ISS, will be frozen for no work meals. Just warm them in the SV bath for an hour and they're a perfect med rare.

Our guest had never seen SV before, but we'd talked about it over the phone. She was amazed at the results.
Brian

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Put a whole pork loin in cure 2 weeks ago for smoking this week. Today we had a thaw and I was able to dig out the Primo. So I cold smoked the loin today and it's Canadian bacon as I type. Apple smoke for ~6 hours. It smells great! I didn't touch it, just handled the tongs and even my hands smell great! (Yes, I've washed them a number of times but smoke is incredibly potent.) It's chilling now and it'll be sliced and vacpak'ed tomorrow. Pix if I remember.

I still need to turn a boston butt (less lymph node) into buckboard bacon before warm weather hits. I may like buckboard bacon even more than Canadian bacon. It's much better than anything out of the store; as is the Canadian bacon. That amount, plus the knockoff Taylor Pork Roll, and the previous 2/3 loin should keep us in breakfasts until cold weather hits again after our day of summer :D. I can eat anything later in the day, but I really enjoy a good breakfast. It sets up the day.

After warm weather arrives, on a cooler day generally, I'll make a bunch of breakfasts and place them in the freezer. I make a mess of biscuits or English muffins, slice them and put some homemade lean and meaty bacon on them with some cheese. When it's time for breakfast I pull one out of the freezer, and nuke it. One fried hen fruit in the breakfast sandwich completes the meal... fast, delicious, and I know what's in it since I had complete control from the wheat berry to the final product.

Edited so as not to bring it to the top.

All vacpaked, labeled and ready for the freezer. There are at least 12 bags but I didn't count them.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Agree with you about breakfast Brian, washed down with strong coffee or tea.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonight a stir fry; Chinese spaghetti; LoMein. I was in a hurry.

I think that's a 14" CI pan that it's in. Yes, we have leftovers. It's almost as good leftover.

It's incredibly easy to make but sorry I have no recipe I just do it by what we have and what I want it to be.

Tonight's had snap peas, onion, gr' pepper, leftover SV inside skirt steak, pre cooked spaghetti, sliced bamboo shoots, sliced water chestnut, a bit of oyster sauce, soy sauce (the real stuff made from soy beans), dry sherry, and a starch slurry to thicken.

If more sauce is wanted I use no sodium beef MBT (TM) and water. I've also added carrot in the past, but I forgot it tonight. It was still good. Broccoli flowerets would also be a welcome addition. The point is that the recipe is very flexible. It always comes out fantastic. It's also fast and a meal in a skillet, especially if you have leftover spaghetti and some sort of protein. Tonight we had the protein leftovers and had to cook spaghetti for it. No big deal, that just requires boiling salted water.
Brian

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonight previously SV Flat Iron steaks. They've been frozen for awhile, tonight putting them in the SV hot tub for 1 hour will bring them back with no loss of quality. Of course they'll get the dextrose/sodium Bicarb treatment, then the butane torch for browning and flavor before plating them.

We picked up an artisan baguette from a local baker and I made dipping oil; home canned stringbeans will complete the meal.
Brian

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Today I made a batch of Apple Pie Moonshine. Yield was about 5 qts. If you've tasted McGillicuddies (sp?) Apple Pie you know the taste. Homemade is lots less expensive though and to my taste buds better. Not as sweet as McG's. Anyone wants the recipe posted, let me know. No, you don't need a still. It's an adult beverage made from over the counter spirits.

As I write, making another gallon of yogurt in the SV bath for the dogs .
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Not much cooking today. Just simple stuff. It's getting to be that time of year when I want a quick breakfast, so...

Light biscuits are drop dead simple.

By changing the meat the sandwich becomes different enough to keep boredom at bay, and there's no law that says I need to eat one per day, so I don't. There's the beef sausage patty shown here, the Taylor Pork roll, and Canadian and buckboard bacon available. The patties say they are precooked on the package, but they ARE NOT defatted, so I pre-cook them again to remove the fat. All it takes is a minute to nuke the biscuit package and add a fried egg to make a substantial breakfast. There's over 1/2 cup of flour per biscuit, but they're quite light to the mouth feel. Bakewell Cream Biscuits. Google it, you probably won't find it locally, it's a WW2 development and just a fantastic leavener. The cheese slices are sharp cheddar.

Potential biscuit breakfast sandwiches and in the background one down, 6 more to make. Ronald McDonald has nothing on me. Mine is better. One of those biscuits fill an outstretched palm and are 2" high.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, I googled, and now I'm trying to figure out which one of the Bakewell Cream products you used. They've got the biscuit mix, the Original gluten-free, and a couple of other things. Their prices are reasonable, and I like to try new stuff, oh, and I like biscuits!
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

http://www.newenglandcupboard.com/bakewell-cream.php

It's maybe half a dozen entries down in the yellow and blue can with the biscuits pictured on the front. It has a very long life, but when it has sodium bicarb added the lifespan will be much shorter (the plain label). You can add the sodium bicarb (required) when you mix the dry ingredients. In the blue/yellow label the shelf life is measured in years and not months.

Gary, I also added a few TBLs of non-instant dry milk to the mix for the biscuits pictured. No other changes to the recipe on the box, not even more water, whoops, I used butter and not shortening. Use all purpose flour. The die I used to cut them is a Philadelphia whipped cream cheese container. I also used an Italian flour that I'm trying to get rid of, I prefer home ground soft white wheat, but I need to use up this flour. It worked; so will AP flour.

Did you check out the history of the Bakewell Cream? Interestingly it's good stuff for a wartime substitute. For biscuits it's better than anything else I've ever used. It's also made approx' 60 miles from where I live.

OK, on to Tuesdays cooking for Wednesdays consumption...

As I write I have a chuck arm roast, a piece of beef mostly spherical and weighing approx' 2.5#, in the SousVide bath @132°F and it will be in there for 24-36 hours. So it will be ready for Wednesdays supper. It will get the brushed solution/torch routine to brown it and produce the taste from the Maillard reaction, and the bag juices will be turned into gravy. If not gravy, then I'll save them for soup. The bag juices taste fantastic. We've never cooked this cut before, so it's an experiment. I have 3 more of them in the freezer. The instructions say to roast it in the oven, and if that will work SV should also, but with better (more tender) results. It will emerge from the bath a perfect med rare from edge to edge with no grey meat except the umeter of what's seen from the outside. Directly out of the bag it's also not very appealing, but it isn't eaten directly from the bag. Pix if I remember.
Brian

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonights SV, and I probably won't get the cut correct. It's a shoulder arm roast. Possibly 2.5# and it's suggested to oven roast it. But it's part of the chuck (I think) so I figured it was a candidate for SV. We've never had this before to my knowledge. We certainly never knowingly bought any before this for us to cook.

24 hours @ 132°F and 3 passes with the brushed solution and torch and this is what I have.

It's actually pinker than what's seen in the pic. Meat cannot possibly be more tender than this or it would be predigested.

Home canned string beans and an Omaha steaks stuffed potato completed the meal for me.

The wife asked what makes it so tender? She's noticed that everything out of the SV bath is butter tender.

Next time I'll cook it at 130°F for the same time.
Brian

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've been wanting fresh bread for a few days now so last night I put together 2 loaves of no-knead crusty artisan bread. This morning I baked them off in loaf pan form and tonight I had a turkey salad sandwich with olive oil coleslaw.

the 2nd loaf was cut in half and each half frozen for use in the next week or 2.

No pix, you'll just need to take my word for it.

Tomorrow for breakfast fresh artisan bread toast and hen fruit from the ladies.
Brian