Question about possibly stale flour

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Thalay Sagar

Re: Question about possibly stale flour

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Wendell, I should add my thanks as well. I have made about a half dozen loaves using this recipe and they have been a hit. I've been using a rounded teaspoon of kosher salt and have had no problems with the rise (generally about 16 hours). Thanks again.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

I appreciate the recipe Wendell. I'm also off bread for a while, but in a couple of weeks I plan to make it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

For the record, it was stale flour, and my Zojirushi is back to making excellent loaves with some fresh flour. Trouble is, I can't stop making Wendell's recipe too! I need to keep my weight up so this might not be such a bad thing!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Glad to hear that the artisan bread is such a hit. We love it although aren't making it at the moment while we watch our own weight in preparation for Mane I. 3 weeks and England 6 weeks after that. Wanna be able to make a trip to local chippy without guilt.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gee, How old must that flour have been for it to be actually stale!?? Modern flour has all the good stuff removed so as not to ever go stale. But I'm probably repeating myself. I seem to remember it having been purchased at a discount? Maybe that's why it was priced to sell. The bugs in the septic system will love it, or use it for quick breads, gravy making, and such.

We've probably already discussed this as well, it's OK to purchase wheat berries and hold those for years before grinding. Once ground however the whole ground berry will change rapidly. Those "interested" folks claim within hours, the not so interested state that it takes longer. It's no big deal to grind right before using though. For bread, grind white wheat and one won't even know it's whole grain, except for the better flavor. It does NOT taste like whole red wheat, which is much stronger in taste and produces the brown bread known as "whole wheat".
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square