Making Gravlox aka 'lox

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Re: Making Gravlox aka 'lox

Post by ShadowsDad »

I didn't. I could have though. The fish won't cook, so it won't fall apart. It's cured and will only cold smoke.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Thanks Brian, you've an inspiration.
Yes you are Brian. I look forward to each of your projects. I admit to never finding an occasion to eat lox. I now realize I should go find some and eat it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I understand it's done both ways but other than surface texture don't think it matters much in the final product.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, my favorite way is on a toasted Thomas' English muffin, unless you make your own (would you like a recipe? It's not difficult and everyone will think you're a baking pro). Then some whipped chive cream cheese spread on the cooled off EM. Then topped with 'lox. Nothing finer for breakfast unless you put a little caviar on it. No I don't buy beluga. That's a bit outside the budget. Maybe someday.

A real bagel would also work, you know, one from a real bagel shop. Not frozen, they're horrid, whoops, one exception, Rays Bagels from NYC. Those are good frozen bagels.

BTW, the salmon has been smoking for 3 hours and with the very slight air movement today the aroma in the yard is to kill for. We were sitting under the walnut trees, maybe 50 -60 yards away on the opposite side of our home and we could smell it.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Makin' me hungry! I'm going to start off with store bought, just to get the general idea, then go from there.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:-) I was hoping to make you hungry. :D

Definitely! You need to discover if you like it first before diving into the deep end.

Another way to use 'lox is to make an omelet. You can add chives and such to it and go light on the 'lox to stretch it. The flavor should still come through. Too, I use the lesser portions, tail and such, when I cook with it. But today I'm just smoking the best part of the fillet.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

ShadowsDad wrote: I was hoping to make you hungry.
You succeeded.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The Primo was still smoking at approx' 1940, by 1952 no smoke was being generated, by 2005 the salmon was wrapped, on a tray and in the shop refrigerator.

Here they are just before they came off the grates. They have changed substantially with their almost 7 hours of smoking. I checked the temperature of the escaping smoke somewhere near 1700 and it was 107°F that was warmer than I would have liked, but it was still cold smoke. They no longer weigh 7#.

I also made a loaf of the no knead crusty artisan loaf today.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That bread is inspiring Brian. I need to unpack my pans.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the day. It was served on a bagel, with cream cheese. I realize this was far from the subject at hand, but it was lox. I had to start somewhere, didn't I? Tasted like . . . fish?
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes, it does (and is). I have no idea if it's an acquired taste or not. If so, I acquired it rapidly.

What it is is another option for breakfast, or a party tray. I detest cold cereal, I can eat hot cereal, and love eggs and whatever with them, smoked spam, bacon, canadian bacon, whatever. I find what you had to be a pleasant and healthful break from what I normally have for breakfast. As with my shaves, I like diversity with my food; probably the only 2 places that I do.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Brian where did you post that bread recipe? I looked but didn't find.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good question. Let me see if I can find it.

I can't find it on the site either.

I'll post it as a thread.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I got around to trying to slice the 'lox today. It wouldn't slice. It flaked instead and that's not 'lox.

I think it's the first time I ever made 'lox in the summer and I suspect the smoker got too warm. It got to 107°F and I suspect for 7 hours at that temp was simply too much for the delicate flesh. It will make delicious sandwiches, but it's definitely not 'lox. Winter is coming and I'll make some more then.

The bagged salmon is cooling down again, then I'll vacpak it.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Would it slice if mostly frozen?
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't know Squire. The shop refrigerator hovers near freezing, so the salmon was cold enough. But the texture wasn't right. The flavor is there, but it was flaky, and 'lox isn't supposed to be that.

It's not lost, it just will be used differently. I bet it will make a great canapé at the one time a year we need them. I'll use it in sandwiches, but what a waste there.

I can get a different smoke generator that produces less heat, or just wait until winter and make my years supply of 'lox then. I'll probably do the latter. I really wanted some 'lox now though. I asked the wife and she never remembers me making it outside the winter. I'll just wait and eat smoked salmon sandwiches for now. I'm not paying over $20/lb for 'lox. I can, but I won't. I'll eat pickled herring the same as I would the 'lox instead.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Don't blame you, I wouldn't pay either, buy more salmon instead.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

Brian, all is certainly not lost. I frequently do salmon like you have that turns out like you are describing. I cure the filet with salt, brown sugar and black pepper just as you do and refrigerate for 24 hours. Then I hot smoke it for about 45 minutes using hickory wood chips. It becomes flaky and has a great smoked flavor. It is not lox but simply smoked salmon. We eat it on salads, as an entre, or on a sandwich. We love it! You did well!
Best regards,

Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Smoked Salmon croquettes.
Regards,
Squire