No Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: No Knead Crusty Artisan Bread

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, I've made that bread often and it is delicious..... I thought from the recent post and picture of the sandwich bread that there is another recipe....I don't remember ever seeing the original recipe being called a sandwich bread
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oh, my mistake Clive. Sorry! :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Hopefully Brian can (re)post when he gets a chance.....that bread does look amazing and honestly, sandwich bread , good stuff anyway, is almost impossible to find....even Wonder isn't made anymore hahahahaha

clive
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I used the same basic recipe; I just increased everything by 25% (see below). One winds up "measuring" really oddball sizes. Just guess. It'll still work.

Another change was to allow the dough to rise in the pan. This last time I let it touch the sprayed plastic wrap that tightly covered the pan. Next time I'll allow that to happen, remove the plastic wrap and then start the oven. In the time the oven takes to warm up it will have risen a bit more. Since I wanted the second rise I also baked it 12 hours after mixing the dough to make sure the yeast still had enough food. If that doesn't work to give me a fuller loaf I'll increase it by another 25%.

If you try it let me know how it works for you.

For spray I use a commercial baking spray* containing soybean oil, and lecithin as the active ingredients, but I don't know why PAM wouldn't work, or butter.

*Bakers Choice All-Purpose pure veg' pan coating (Raleigh, NC). I got them at a salvage/surplus store that also has food so I don't really have a source. Google doesn't work to find it.

3 3/4 cup flour (I used KA bread flour, let us know how it works if you use all purpose flour)
2.2 tsps. salt
5/8 tsp dry yeast
2 scant cups of water (don't agonize over this. I just use 2 cups staying on the under side of the line or right on it.)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Brian.....I'll give it a whirl and report back....probably in the next few weeks.....house is finally under construction and the desire to bake/cook lessens with every swing of the hammer LOL

clive