Too busy for cooking... well almost

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Too busy for cooking... well almost

Post by ShadowsDad »

At some point in the holiday business the wife and I decided to mine the freezer and pulled out a mess of homemade hot Italian sausage for sandwiches and whatnot. That meant peperonata had to be made. It a sauce made of peppers, onions, garlic, and spices. I have some garden tomatoes so I added those as well.

The pot was overfull, so we added the overage after it cooked down a bit. Here it is more than 1/2 reduced.

More reduction

The finished product. It's thick, flavorful, and loaded with veggies. Just the thing for...

A sausage sandwich.
A layer of precooked sliced sausage , a very generous layer of peperonata, then provolone. Wrap it in foil, bake for 20 minutes and this is the result.

Mom would always make potica for the holidays, but I was busy this year, missed having it for Christmas, but made it in time for new years day.
This is walnut filled potica. The bread is rolled out thin, then the sweet filling is rolled up into it and sealed.

Being as busy as we are right now we've been eating quite a bit of sandwiches. Too, where we shop, as the deli meats begin to approach the "use by/ freeze by" dates the managers start to get nervous about going past the date, so I can sometimes buy entire, unopened deli meats for $2/lb. Here is a Reuben made with such meat; in this case pastrami round. Most of it is sliced and in the freezer. The bread is the no knead bread (homemade).
Yes, I know... no pickle. I do wish I'd had a garlic pickle with it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Re: Too busy for cooking... well almost

Post by brothers »

That pastrami sandwich is calling my name!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'll have mine on rye, please.
Regards,
Squire
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Really nice, Brian! All you're missing is a cold beer. :D
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Not really David, about the beer. I love beer, but we're only supposed to rent it. I can't return it with only one beer consumed, so I steer clear. I had some wine with it. Yes, I know, not traditional. It sucks to get some years on the body.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . . looks fantastic!

Chris
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

ShadowsDad wrote:Not really David, about the beer. I love beer, but we're only supposed to rent it. I can't return it with only one beer consumed, so I steer clear. I had some wine with it. Yes, I know, not traditional. It sucks to get some years on the body.
Nothing wrong with a good wine, Brian! Nowadays I actually prefer a good wine, but that dish just seemed like it was screaming for a cold one. 8)
David

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree, a nice crisp lager would be perfect.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I agree with both of you, but my prostate isn't subject to a vote. :) You have no idea how badly I wanted a beer with it. BTW, another of those sandwiches tonight, again with a glass of wine. I made and bottled 4.5 gallons of product today and I'm in no mood to cook anything complicated.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am back to food denial for a couple of weeks to ward off the weight gain of a few pounds which I experienced over the Christmas period.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

jww wrote:I am back to food denial for a couple of weeks to ward off the weight gain of a few pounds which I experienced over the Christmas period.
Same here, Wendell. A lot of cardio and a stricter diet in the coming weeks... I always go overboard during the Holidays!
David