What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Re: What's for supper?

Post by ShadowsDad »

A Sous Vide flat iron steak done rare, with some homemade blue cheese sauce and couscous with veggies.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Homemade cornish pasties with hot water crust pastry:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I love pasties Chris, but I don't really have a good recipe, or one that I would consider "genuine".

Care to share?
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My, my, I've only had access to one place that made real Cornish pasties and memorable things they were, but that ended long ago. A genuine culinary treat.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wonder if these little beauties are similar to the so-called "meat pies" that made Natchitoches famous. Doesn't matter, really, because if they're as good as they look, then I'd love to make some.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I''l get around to writing it out in Recipes later today, if time permits. It's easy.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

After a busy Saturday of baking and laundry, my wife said she wanted a really good hot dog. So we're heading downtown to Coney Island, the oldest restaurant in downtown OKC, and yes, they're the best hot dogs you can find. Not fancy and certainly not expensive, they're just flat good!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Barry

Post by Barry »

Snails!

Medallions (not gold).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2909 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2912 times
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonight I felt like having something a bit different so I made veggie LoMein and shell on shrimp (marinated). I knew going in that I wouldn't eat all of the LoMein, but I also knew going in that the shrimp would be.

Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

My wife fried some breaded fish filets in the CI skillet this evening, served with some mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. It was very good.
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight it was sauteed chicken breasts in a Madeira, beef broth, and onion deglazing sauce. It was accompanied by roasted asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper. Most satisfying.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I was at home and on my own today at lunchtime, and I had a craving for spaghetti. Dropped a couple of grocery store frozen meatballs (Johnsonville) into the storebought sauce and boiled the spaghetti. It was nothing fancy or even made from scratch. My craving was all the motivation I had, and it turned out very good.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This evening we had some roast sirloin left over from our family's Easter Sunday lunch, served with fresh steamed broccoli florets and some marinated Roma tomatoes with red wine vinegar, olive oil, and capers. The wife slow-cooked the sirloin several hours and it was a great supper.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

No pix, maybe if I remember tonight I'll take some.

When we make perogies (sp?) we turn it into an event and invite a friend over to help in the making, eating, and with the leftovers. The final assembly happened the other day. But we can't buy the cheese locally, so a month or so ago I made our farmers cheese for them.

Each time we make them we learn a little bit more and it becomes both easier and faster. This time we ran out of cheese filling in about an hour or so. I was still boiling them a bit after that. What we did this time that sped up the process, and everything is relative. My long deceased grandmother could turn out perogies so fast it would make your head spin, and I remember hers being much better than mine. What sped things up this time was my memory of a "turnover" press in the cabinet. It worked much faster than making them by hand and each one was perfect. It was just a hair too large, so I ordered a set of different sizes, since the theory was sound. I also ordered one that will make 6 at once using 2 sheets of dough and a rolling pin to cut and press them together. We'll see which works best.

But back to the eating. After the making and boiling we watched a movie, then I cooked up some onions in butter to use as a sauce. The perogies were finished off sautéed in butter to golden brown. The sauce (mostly onions actually) was spooned over them. Not kingly fare, just peasant food, but I think it's because royalty simply didn't know what was best to eat. Every time we make them we absolutely love the things; and it's getting easier so maybe we'll make them more frequently now.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

When I got home from work, I was surprised that my hard working wife was in the midst of preparing a great meal. All fresh, she had grilled/smoked some chicken breasts, made a bowl of fresh guacamole, and sauteed the chicken with some red and green sweet peppers and onions. I made some fresh salsa, and we had a very fine supper of chicken fajitas with corn tortillas and chips.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

When I was standing in front of the fish counter today I decided to get 2 oysters as I had never had raw oysters before. The short story is that I'll have them again. Next time though I want to eat them just minutes out of the briny deep. I know of a place where I can do that.

Tonight I made a codfish sandwich. The cod was baked until just flaky, not more than 10 minutes (olive oil, a bit of garlic, S&P), homemade tartar sauce below, on bread that I bought but freshened up in the oven. The picture was taken before I loaded it with lettuce. Steamed broccoli with a topping of sautéed bread crumbs accompanied it.

Brian

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

That sandwich looks quite good, Brian! I love codfish, and all it really needs to be fabulous is good olive oil and some garlic. :D
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The other day I marinated the last of a package of shell on shrimp with the idea of cooking too many so that I'd get 2 meals out of it.

Last night was the last of it.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but in the past I'd B & M about the flavorless shrimp that I'd buy. But I always bought shelled shrimp. Shelled shrimp are a HUGE mistake. The flavor is in the shell, as strange as that may sound. I will never again buy them out of the shell. These actually tasted like shrimp.
Brian

brothers

Mother's Day breakfast

Post by brothers »

This Mother's Day breakfast was a result of a happy woman in the kitchen who doesn't have to get up early and rush off to work, and she's hungry! I could have taken her to a very nice restaurant for a great meal or brunch, but we pretty much do that every Sunday. Besides, she had just thought of a recipe for some croissant-based cinnamon rolls, fresh baked of course, and including our favorite ingredients, butter, pecans and raisins, in addition to brown sugar and cinnamon. While these were baking, I cooked the bacon while she cooked the eggs. All that and a great big cup of fresh Community Coffee from Baton Rouge. Needless to say, this was one of the best breakfasts a guy could ever hope for. As we sat on the back porch enjoying the yard after all the rain, while we were eating, she received texts and phone calls from our 3 children. Soon we'll be visiting my mother and taking her some pretty fresh flowers to enjoy on Mother's day. She took a picture of the table, and tells me she'll be posting it on FB soon. Most likely, I won't be posting it here, unless I change my mnd. Here's wishing all of the mothers a wonderful day. They deserve all the appreciation and love that they can ever get.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Sounds fantastic Gary!

I'm doing some SousVide short ribs tonight. They are quite literally fall off the bone tender because of a typo' (147°F should have been 137°F for 48 hours). Yes, I've had these same short ribs previously. After cooking for 48 hours they are frozen in the cooking bag and they warm up with no loss in quality. Also on the menu are potato pancakes, peas, and fiddleheads.

Dang! I didn't take pix of recent fiddleheads, but I have one of potato pancakes of possibly a week ago.

I doubt that I'll remember to take pix tonight.
Brian