What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: What's for supper?

Post by fallingwickets »

I have one of potato pancakes of possibly a week ago
sheeeeeeeesh! those look absolutely delicious!

29 thumbs up!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

They were; and so incredibly easy to make Clive. Finally I can make potato pancakes that rival my moms. The key to crisping and browning is to get as much water wrung out of them as possible ( I use a towel and twist it like a tourniquet sorta thingy). But save the juices. Allow the water and starch to settle out, pour off the water and the starch gets used. If you want the recipe I can write it up. But I'm not finished with it yet. That time I used a bastardization of 2 recipes. I need to standardize it before posting.

Next time I'll make 2x the recipe for the leftover pancakes. I crisped up 2 of the leftovers and served fried eggs over them for breakfast along with a sausage patty.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

for the leftover pancakes
which you'll be sending to me right????????????????????????????? :D :D :D :D

clive
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:D

I'm trying to convince you to make your own. The recipe travels much better, as most ideas do.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

You're a good man, Brian :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

The wife and daughter are in the kitchen making something German for supper It smells great! The rest of us are having some beer. Of course!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I wish I had taken a picture. (That's a clue)

Last night I made Sara Moultons "Angry chicken", it's marinated with hot sauce, yogurt and spices. I never ever would have used the spices chosen for chicken. It was different and quite mild in the spicy heat category for us. It has a dipping sauce, the reserved marinade (not the saved marinade from the chicken- that gets thrown out since it's contaminated) and that made it a bit hotter, but next time I'll use some other items to make it more to our taste. The thighs were grilled/baked in the Primo over charcoal so it had nicely browned and crisp skin. The sides were corn on the cob and rice. I put more of the dipping sauce on the rice to spice it up.

Tonight grilled and cherry smoked rib eyes are planned, we have some leftover corn, and I'm pressing hard for yeast rolls.

Enjoy your Memorial Day gents!
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

This evening's dinner was a simple summer treat. We had guests, our daughter and her niece, our 9 year old granddaughter. I recently bought a new kitchen range, but it hasn't arrived yet, and the old one is outside waiting to be picked up, hopefully. Anyway, my wife made a fresh spinach salad with strawberries, dried cranberries, walnuts, and cucumbers and tomatoes. She cut up several potatoes with the skin attached, and microwaved them with butter and salt for several minutes, then she wrapped them in foil with holes poked into it, and while I was grilling some steaks, we put the potatoes on the grill so they could cook some more and pull in some smoke. We ate outside on the patio and had a great meal together.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonights meal was a Taylor Pork Roll knockoff sandwich. I didn't buy the TPR, I made it from a recipe. Unless you're from the NY/NJ/Philly area you have no idea how much we go through withdrawal for this sausage. My solution was find a knockoff recipe and make it myself.

It can be eaten hot or cold and I like it both ways. Here it is as a fried product. The sandwich contains Hoffmans super sharp American cheese, the TPR, caramelized onions, and grey poupon mustard.

Dessert will be a bit of McGillicuddys cherry liqueur.

If anyone wants the recipe, or for that matter a slew of other sausage recipes, just let me know and I'll post links. All it takes is a modicum of basic intelligence and a grinder to make any sausage; assuming ingredients.

FWIW, the folks who actually have made this sausage and haven't lived in that area have loved it. It's not difficult, it just takes time, but not your time over and above any other sausage.
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

first off....thanks for the invite!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
then she wrapped them in foil with holes poked into it,
is there a specific purpose for foil? Ive seen it done but have never understood why and until now always afraid to ask :)

thanks

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Clive, normally she would have roasted them in the oven, but we're without one at the moment, and because the hibachi pot was already all stoked up for my steaks, we wanted to give them more taste and cook them in the smoker. We normally don't use pans in the smoker, and couldn't cook them directly on the grille because they were cut up in small chunks. I don't know if that's too much info, or if I successfully addressed your question. But they sure were good!
Gary

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

ShadowsDad wrote:Tonights meal was a Taylor Pork Roll knockoff sandwich. I didn't buy the TPR, I made it from a recipe. Unless you're from the NY/NJ/Philly area you have no idea how much we go through withdrawal for this sausage. My solution was find a knockoff recipe and make it myself.

It can be eaten hot or cold and I like it both ways. Here it is as a fried product. The sandwich contains Hoffmans super sharp American cheese, the TPR, caramelized onions, and grey poupon mustard.

Dessert will be a bit of McGillicuddys cherry liqueur.

If anyone wants the recipe, or for that matter a slew of other sausage recipes, just let me know and I'll post links. All it takes is a modicum of basic intelligence and a grinder to make any sausage; assuming ingredients.

FWIW, the folks who actually have made this sausage and haven't lived in that area have loved it. It's not difficult, it just takes time, but not your time over and above any other sausage.
Mmmmmmmmm, Taylor's Pork Roll ... heavenly!

Chris
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Man that looks good.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Thanks. It's no more difficult to make than any other sausage. It just has a few additional steps all done over a period of time and not all scrunched up into a day. If it all had to be accomplished in one day I'd never make it; couldn't make it.

The current TPR has been used for breakfasts with eggs and there isn't a great deal left at this point. We have one more 2# tube left so we're on the lookout for a sale price on the boneless pork butt that we use to make it. Three will make another years supply of it for us.

Tonight saw me eat the last 2 beef hotdogs and fresh 'slaw. The 'slaw was very different but was supposed to be the same recipe that we've made for years. The wife had the recipe and was reading it to me as I cut the cabbage; she was making the dressing. She continually asked me if I still needed the recipe and I asked if all that I had left to add was the sugar. She responded "yes", so the recipe went away without me double checking it. Big mistake. She over looked the olive oil and I never caught that omission, that is, until I bit into it a few hours later. It may have been serendipitous though. It's a lower fat/calorie version and still full of flavor, but a different flavor. I don't know if it's better, it was certainly different. I can still add the OO, but I think I want to use it as is and see what I think of it in a few days as it matures. The lack of OO brings out the flavor of the celery seed and celery salt and the peppery taste of the cabbage. If you've never tasted raw cabbage try it. It's nothing like it is with an oil based dressing or as it is cooked. It's slightly peppery. Quite good. I regularly munch on what surrounds the core as I slice cabbage for 'slaw.
Brian

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

much obliged, gary. hope youre enjoying a decent fathers day! :D

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Clive, and the same to you sir! :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wednesday evening. We had visitors, daughter's family, husband and the 3 girls and another one on the way. My wife's a great cook, and she loves to feed 'em.
Meat loaf
Mashed potatoes
Broccoli florets
Spicy green beans, with my favorite ingredient, bacon
Sweet potato casserole, the one with marshmallows on top, the girls love this
a sheetcake of some kind or another, I don't care for cake
Everything was gone in no time.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I'm salivating! It's time for me to eat. 'Later...
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Sunday evening, our daughter was here at suppertime. We knew she was coming and my wife had started a big crockpot full of chicken and dumplings. . . . wow. =P~
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I made a big pot and overheard the kid's kitchen conversation "Dad's on a chili kick". Later in the evening when went to freeze up some servings found there was barely one portion left. Guess they liked it.
Regards,
Squire