What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: What's for supper?

Post by jww »

Last night we had a Weight Watchers cabbage soup with chicken. I love this stuff -- it's simple, filling and incredibly tasty.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Squire wrote:All you're missing is cornbread which we do cook in the U.S.
Never did try cornbread, to be honest. We do have bread made with corn flour, but it looks different then your corn bread. Perhaps sometime in the future!

EL Alamein wrote:David, that beef bourguignon looks inviting and scrumptious. Looks like it might be cooked in a Le Creuset (or something similar) pan as well. I like making mine in cast iron too. I use the oval dutch oven because we are cooking for six. It's good for the soul.
Thanks, Chris! It actually is a Le Creuset, I have a couple and quite like cooking with them, and use 'em often not only for dishes that need to go in the oven, but for other stuff like curry, stews, etc.

CMur12 wrote:David, that meal would almost justify airfare to Portugal!

(I lived in the Algarve and got as far north as Guarda and Viseu. I never made it to Porto or other parts north. This, unfortunately, was many years ago, and I hope one day to get back to Portugal for an updated experience.)
My wife is from Guarda, it's a nice town, but you definitely should pay a visit to Porto, Murray, it's worth it, and not only for the Port wine. If you do decide to come, please let me know and I'll take you to eat two of Porto's most traditional dishes:

Tripas à Moda do Porto (Tripe stew)

Francesinha (a take on the well-known French Croque Monsieur, with several meats and a special sauce that has whisky and beer:

These are actually my own pictures... I do love to eat. 8)
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

jww wrote:Last night we had a Weight Watchers cabbage soup with chicken. I love this stuff -- it's simple, filling and incredibly tasty.
On the subject of soup, for anyone interested, Mark Bittman's piece in this week NY Times might be of interest
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... ining&_r=1

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

David, your photos are making me hungry!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:David, your photos are making me hungry!
Me too, Gary, me too! :mrgreen:
David

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

fallingwickets wrote:
jww wrote:Last night we had a Weight Watchers cabbage soup with chicken. I love this stuff -- it's simple, filling and incredibly tasty.
On the subject of soup, for anyone interested, Mark Bittman's piece in this week NY Times might be of interest
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... ining&_r=1

clive
Clive,

Great article! It reminds me a lot of some French techniques to make stocks and add flavor to dishes.

For some folks this may be a very tasty way to re-introduce soups into their diets. Soup is a wonderful thing and great for a meal. Good for the figure as well.

I recall that some Hollywood folks ate soups for lunch to help maintain their weight. I believe Cary Grant was a big practitioner of this. There are others supposedly but their names escape me (except for Ronald Reagan, who supposedly followed this practice as much as possible).

Thanks, I enjoyed this!

Chris
Barry

Post by Barry »

I made lamb biryani this afternoon and it turned out so-so. The recipe called for what I thought might be too much liquid (for my tastes). I'm finishing it off in the oven in hopes of drying it out a bit. I'm going to try a different style next weekend. I've loaded up on spices from a local Indian grocery so I'm pretty well stocked.

At least my home smells nice right now.

Barry
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good link Clive.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Roast chicken (using a proper roasting chicken of 7 lb and not one of those little fryers), mashed sweet potatoes, green beans and baked spaghetti squash, all slathered in homemade gravy. It will, of course, be accompanied by a glass of Portuguese white wine. The good thing about having a good size roasting chicken is the leftovers, which we'll have for Tuesday supper as hot chicken sandwiches with sweet baby peas. Sorry chaps, no pictures, as I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this sight.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonight I'm grazing; a little of this, a little of that.

Smoked oysters and crackers is first, the last of the pickled herring, a bit of ham, cheese, maybe some bean and ham soup, whatever I find in the icebox that appeals to me. There's plenty in it.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight we have a small pork roast in the slow cooker with some barbeque sauce making the whole house smell really good. We have freshly made potato salad cooling in the reefer. Not sure what else she has on the menu, but it's bound to be good. The pork's going to be hand shredded as soon as it comes out, for our pulled pork sandwiches. I might enjoy a cold brew or a glass of wine. Haven't decided yet.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

ShadowsDad wrote:Tonight I'm grazing; a little of this, a little of that.

Smoked oysters and crackers is first, the last of the pickled herring, a bit of ham, cheese, maybe some bean and ham soup, whatever I find in the icebox that appeals to me. There's plenty in it.
You're a man after my stomach; sounds positively delicious. That's the way I like to graze.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

This is fast becoming the first thread I click on.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Started off with a pre-supper cocktail of a Bourbon Old-Fashioned (as I always do).

Tonight was sauteed pork chops in a white wine, sage and garlic sauce. Side of steamed broccoli with butter sauce.

It was served with white wine.

Dessert was another cocktail and a cigar (as usual).

Chris
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Squire wrote:This is fast becoming the first thread I click on.
Even though...... There are still NO pics!!! :lol:
David

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I have a ready imagination.
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight was chicken breast (spit in two) sauteed in clarified butter and finished with a Maderia and onion deglazing sauce. Side of leftover steamed broccoli mixed with leftover sauteed peppers and onions.

Served with white wine.

Chris
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hah! Still no pix! It was the furthest thing from my mind at the time.

Tonight, one of my all time favorites; boiled dinner: Corned beef, cabbage, and carrots. I cooked potatoes, but didn't have any.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

ShadowsDad wrote:Hah! Still no pix! It was the furthest thing from my mind at the time.

Tonight, one of my all time favorites; boiled dinner: Corned beef, cabbage, and carrots. I cooked potatoes, but didn't have any.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Scrumptious.
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight was another round of breasts. ;) Chicken breasts in a mushroom, onion, and lemon cream sauce. No sides as it was enough as-is.

Served with white wine.

Chris