What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: What's for supper?

Post by jww »

It was chicken last night as well for us ..... sprung for Swiss Chalet ..... :lol:

We have been going out every year on the anniversary of our 1st date 35 years ago since I returned from living in Finland in the spring of 1979 and we married in the fall of that same year. I know it sounds cheesy, but some of the best times we have had are on these little jaunts to "The Chalet" as we have come to refer to it over time.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's great Wendell, congratulations.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

There used to be a small, hole-in-the-wall restaurant by the same name my folks used to take me to when young. Wonderful salads, black bread, schnitzel. Rosy-cheeked waitresses wearing traditional attire. Old, old paintings of sea vistas and enchanted Alpine village scenes hanging on the stucco walls. Tankards and serving dishes from a bygone era reposed on darkwood shelves that circled the little shop. The place smelled of lemon and thyme. It was owned by a sea captain who was always off on one of his voyages -- but one night a gnarly old man sat alone at a small table in back of the shop, hovered over by attentive waitresses. It was the captain visiting his home port.

Then a bastard shopping mall and adjoining culture-fresh shops took over the whole block and the little Swiss Chalet was no more. I can still smell the fresh-baked black bread and see the huge dabs of butter melting on top. One of many small deaths we are all witness to on our own sea journeys.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ron that's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing your precious childhood memories.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:It was chicken last night as well for us ..... sprung for Swiss Chalet ..... :lol:

We have been going out every year on the anniversary of our 1st date 35 years ago since I returned from living in Finland in the spring of 1979 and we married in the fall of that same year. I know it sounds cheesy, but some of the best times we have had are on these little jaunts to "The Chalet" as we have come to refer to it over time.
Congratulations Wendell. That's a nice tradition. What my wife and I like to do on our anniversary and birthdays is have sushi/sashimi at our favourite Japanese restaurant.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Ron, good story and terrible story all in one. I hate to hear about the "death" of great places that have great memories associated with them.

I often wonder what happened to the "great places" that the wife and I went to many years ago and many miles away.

The Triangle Hofbrau in Pequannock NJ on Rt 23. Great German food and an organ player was one such place, and it was "right around the corner" from where we lived. Maybe it's better that I don't know and just assume it's the same as it was 40 years ago.

There was a (believe it or not) a bowling alley with a restaurant attached that had the best pizzas, and sandwiches on the planet. We sometimes mention the meatball and cheese subs and the steak and cheese sandwiches. It was a stones throw away from the Willowbrook Mall. Draft beer in frozen mugs too. Nothing fancy, but great food and prices.

You can never go home. It no longer exists. Or at least it doesn't for me. Memories only.

EDIT: But the reason I stopped in here... (I got sidetracked)

Tonight we're making our Italian sub sandwich. (I'm salivating as I write) It's Polish ham with Italian dressing, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, onions, provolone, hot pepper sauce (harissa), and my side has chopped Spanish green olives with pimento. The bread has had the Italian dressing on it soaking for an hour now, so it's time to assemble the sandwich.

In years past I would have eaten my half in for one meal, but now it's 2 meals.
Last edited by ShadowsDad on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, but what memories they are.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

One eating establishment in the same block did survive the mall apocalypse, this one:

They didn't sell out when all the other shops did -- but you can see the encroachment of the mall monstrosity on the left. Apple Pan has been in that spot selling burgers and pie since 1947.
Ron
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Great stories Wendell and Ron.I love hearing of good times like that.

Tonight was taco salad. Served with red wine (I just can't drink Sangria anymore).

Chris
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tonight was part of a simple sub sandwich; ham, provolone, olives, tomatoes, onion, lettuce. It was supposed to have some harissa on it to spice it up, but I didn't make it. Too, the bread is the pits; it was store bought, but it was all we had time for.

Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Brian, was stock down at local grocers due to the storm you had roll through Maine earlier this week?

Last night was lasagna. We had our two children and granddaughters for dinner. Lasagna always works. One of my by-far fav meals. The accompanying salad was with The Olive Garden dressing which we are able to pick up from Sam's Club or Costco when we are in the US.
Wendell

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Do you mean regarding the bread Wendell?

They have a bakery on site. The bread was OK not so many months ago, not great but OK. I suspect they changed where they get the basic dough from. They just bake at that supermarket (typical) they don't actually mix anything. It was like white bread in the shape of an Italian loaf. But it had no gluten development. On a bad day when I was a beginning baker my bread was better. I'd complain to the bakery section, but all they do is get it in and bake it. I'd complain to the buyers at corporate, but I've done that before and they simply don't care. I'll vote with my wallet and if enough folks do that it'll have an effect. But once I make the decision I won't go back.

I contacted the their corporate buyers most recently regarding the pickled herring they were putting on the shelf. Previous they had a good non local brand (Skansen) that was quite good and available in a semi large jar. They replaced it with a locally made brand, but it's terrible. Now I believe in buying local, but not if it a step down in quality, and clearly the local brand was. Corporate really didn't care. So I bought 2 honkin' huge jars out of Wisconsin and sent corporate the pix to show them that they have competition; the internet.

I'm too old and life is too short for 2nd best.
Brian

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

That's more like it, Brian! Looks good! 8)
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I was waiting to see if you'd notice the picture!

Same for supper again tonight, we get 4 pieces out of one sandwich and I'll eat my inner piece tonight. But this time I'll open it up and put some harissa on it.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We're doing lebanese this evening ..... really inexpensive, and unbelievably good --- Ottawa is the unofficial capital for lebanese food ....... and the best restaurant/take-away is just 'round the corner from us. 8)
Wendell

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

jww wrote:We're doing lebanese this evening ..... really inexpensive, and unbelievably good --- Ottawa is the unofficial capital for lebanese food ....... and the best restaurant/take-away is just 'round the corner from us. 8)
Never did try Lebanese... it's a shame some cultures are pretty much unrepresented here in Portugal.
David

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

OK, that's it Wendell! Now you did it with that link! It's definitely time for me to eat.

I'm salivating big time looking at that food.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Out of town company coming, so it's off with the entourage to Alfredo's Mexican Cantina. Yippee!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Tonight was chicken breasts with aromatic vegetables in a cream sauce. Served over white rice and with white wine.

Always a family favorite.

Chris
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Yesterday's dinner party we made something we call "empadão", which is essentially a Portuguese style meat pie. My bad, I forgot to take a pic of it, and the guests liked it so much that it's all gone. :oops:
David