What's for supper?

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Rufus

Re: What's for supper?

Post by Rufus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:50 am

Pancakes and sausages last night for Shrove Tuesday.
Bryan

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 am

Chris I had a problem with my homemade mayo having the right consistency, not thick enough, and not tasting eggy enough. Then I discovered dehydrated egg powder. Now I need to find some egg white powder to goose the eggy taste a bit more.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Brian you might want to try hard boiled egg yolks. I seem to remember that Julia Child mentioned in her book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" that they make a very thick mayonnaise, so much so that you have to make it by hand otherwise it clogs a blender etc.

Never tried it myself but offer it as a possibility.

Chris

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Never even considered that, but it's in the memory banks now. Thanks! But I'm trying to do it w/o adding more yolks since that would cut down on my consumption (not that it's high). It sux being on as strict a diet as I have myself on. Everything is much more difficult and small successes are major achievements.

But for now the egg whites are on order and I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Thanx for Amazon Prime! "Free" shipping is a by product when we pay our monthly fee. I now order lots of groceries that are difficult to find locally from Amazon.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Brian, got it. Maybe just try one yolk? I don't know.

When I made my most recent mayo it was following a clone recipe for Hellman's (and it seems pretty faithful in terms of ingredients) I only used one egg - the whole egg, white and all. It was raw and the mayo turned out much like what you'd make by hand - not stiff like Hellman's, but creamy. And I used a hand wand blender to make it. It doesn't make very much mayo but enough for me and I'm the only one eating it right now. The taste is very similar to Hellman's.

Anyway, if you can get away with one yolk (I don't know how much mayo you require for your household) then maybe it might work for you.

Either way, good luck.

Chris

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:49 pm

The recipe I use fills a wide mouth pint canning jar to the very top. Mayo made with vinegar doesn't spoil (despite what the "lawyers" write along with their recipes), so I don't mind making a pint. When I bought it I'd buy a qt. at a time with no problems. FWIW, mayo will attract and capture bacteria so leaving mayo based foods out is a no-no. I don't make or tolerate lemon juice based salad dressing, erroneously called mayo' by some, so I don't address that product at all re: spoilage. It might very well spoil in refrigeration.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:26 pm

Corned beef and cabbage! Yummy! I've been craving this for a long time and I enjoyed it very much.
Gary

SOTD 99%: 12 soaps & creams, SilkSmoke synthetic, General by Colonial razors, Kai & Schick, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444 asb

Rufus

Post by Rufus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm

brothers wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:26 pm
Corned beef and cabbage! Yummy! I've been craving this for a long time and I enjoyed it very much.
One of my favourites, especially with boiled potatoes.
Bryan