Baked Beans

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Baked Beans

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm sure there are lots of recipes out there, but this one has been modified and tuned until the result tastes like Heinz beans from the tin!

3 cups navy/haricot beans (smaller the better)
I can Condensed tomato soup
1 large can diced/pureed tomatoes
1 small can tomato purée (156ml)
1 large onion, diced small
1/2 tsp mustard powder
4 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP maple syrup or molasses

Soak your beans if you like, but I simply pressure cook them. I give them 20 minutes, cool under the cold tap and refill water if needed and then do a further 20 minutes, adding the diced onion for the second session.
Depressurise and add everything else. Stir and cover loosely and leave on low heat all day. Stir whenever you go into the kitchen. Add some water if you think you have to, but it shouldn't be needed.
The only difference I can detect from Heinz beans is if diced tomatoes are used and they are not blended before use; there will be red lumps of tomato. If you are into simulating a much-loved commercial product then purée them first or use a can of puréed tomatoes. I don't mind the red lumps. Don't leave out the mustard powder! It matters (and you can make fresh English mustard to go in a ham sandwich that will make your socks quiver with delight).
I have added fake vegetarian sausages cut into slices and have had compliments. No reason why you shouldn't add real pork products as you see fit, but I grew up in the UK where there were no baked beans adulterated with pork when I was a kid, so all that seems a bit odd. I do like fake bacon bits in a pea soup—which is so easy I assume no one would need a recipe.

Serve on buttered toast for best results, but also on baked potatoes or alongside the "Full English" on a Sunday morning if you want your family to miss you when you are gone.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Re: Baked Beans

Post by EL Alamein »

This sounds excellent! Especially this time of year beans, to me, seem so comforting and filling. Perfect Winter food.

In the near future I see a blizzard outside with snow piling up, a fire roaring in my Family room, a pot of these beans bubbling slowly on my stove-top, some Tabac faintly in the air as frost forms on the window panes and a full running of "The Shining" playing on some cable channel. I will be blanketed on the couch enjoying them all.

Chris
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have no idea why, but I swear the following is true. My wife and brother also confirm this phenomenon.

I can take the identical recipe for baked beans that I always use and make them on the stovetop, oven, or on the woodstove. In the same CI dutch oven, and the same recipe, no changes. But they always come out best when done on top of the woodstove. It makes no sense, but they are always better for some inexplicable reason done that way. It's not even close either, the other methods don't produce as delicious a "baked bean" as the top of the woodstove.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ours is not to question the mysteries of the bean.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Hmmm, not sure about your recipe Chris. I like Heinz baked beans made in England, but I like my home-made bake beans without the tomato. The only way to find out, however, is to make your recipe. My recipe has no tomato in it just navy beans, salt pork, onion, powdered Hot English mustard, brown sugar and molasses. Here it is:

1lb (2 cups) dry navy beans/white pea beans
2/3 cup brown sugar
1tsp dry hot mustard
1/4 cup molasses (either cooking or fancy molasses; I prefer fancy for the added sweetness it imparts)
1/4 lb salt pork
1 medium onion

- Rinse beans and add to 2 quarts of cold water.
- Bring beans and water to boiling and simmer for 2 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 3/4 hour. OR: rinse beans, add to 2 quarts of water and soak overnight. I prefer the former.
- Add 1/2 tsp of salt to beans and soaking water. Place on heat and simmer until tender(approximately 3/4 hour).
- Drain.
- Mix 2 cups of boiling water with brown sugar, mustard and molasses. (You can use 2 cups of the water the beans were simmered in, but I prefer not to as it seems to increase flatulence).
- Cut salt pork in half; score one half and thin slice other half.
- Slice onion.
- In a 2-quart bean pot or casserole layer in beans, onion slices and sliced pork.
- Pour brown sugar, molasses and mustard liquid over.
- Top with scored pork.
- Cover and bake in oven at 300*F for 3 to 4 hours, adding more water if necessary(which I've never had to do).
Bryan