food experiment today

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

food experiment today

Post by ShadowsDad »

Today it isn't fit for man or beast outside so I decided to experiment a bit.

I received my sodium citrate (SC) the other day and today was the day to play and learn.

OK so what does it do? When cheese is heated it breaks down into oil and something containing protein and water. SC prevents that breakdown resulting in cheese sauces and such that don't turn into an oily gloppy mess. Have no fear SC is found in citrus and wine and is used in many products so you won't turn into a two headed monster by eating it. If you've eaten processed cheese, and many other oily foods, you've eaten SC and probably many other emulsifying salts. SC is just one of many. If you've eaten cheese fondue the wine that's added contains SC and helps to keep the cheese sauce from breaking.

To know more about what I was doing google "sodium citrate". Here's the recipe I used, basically, for the process cheese that I made. http://www.food.com/recipe/perfectly-me ... ice-513398 Substitute swiss for the mozzarella and you have exactly what I used.

I made some procedural changes in the recipe and I'll make more next time as well as changes to the cheeses used.

I got 12 "sort of" rounds with some left over for grilled cheese tomorrow.

Yes, they look like pancakes since my cheese had no color. I formed them on a cool mat using the bottom of the ladle. Once cool they come right off of the mat; it didn't even require washing.

OK, so why make something that can be purchased so easily in the market? The cheese I favor is "Olde English", and I can no longer find it locally. So I'm going to make my own. It's incredibly easy to do and It'll be even easier next time.

If you're interested in getting your own, the best deal I found was on Amazon. It was a pound for $18. Buy a 2nd one and get free shipping. Basically the 2nd pound is just a few dollars more. That was the best deal I found on it. Use it once and it will be a keeper in your pantry. It is in mine now.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: food experiment today

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm a bit confused, being stupid an' all. The six round melted cheese disks are to be - what - kept and remelted as cheese sauce? I'm not clear as to how this makes your own Olde English cheese. Do tell as this is interesting. I'm pretty sure you don't need me to tell you that a cheese sauce is child's play, so I'm sure you are up to something more exotic and I wants to know...

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I'm with Dr. Moss on the interrogatives.

Did you make process cheese rounds? If so, for what?

Chris
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yeah, I did leave that out didn't I ! :lol:

Don't think process cheese that comes out of plastic at the supermarket. It's a much different product despite the same words used. Also, it can be any cheese.

Oh, what I made could be used for burgers, whatever. Tonight I had 2 of them on a hot ham sandwich. They melted beautifully just from the heat of the ham and I know they're made with genuine cheese and not out of whey and other cast off ingredients that are made to masquerade as food. But the Olde English process cheese we were able to buy at one time was tasty and most often used for burgers and was the impetus for this experiment. Made just a bit differently the same technique would make an excellent sauce for veggies or for mac and cheese and it will remain creamy and never break. I never made a cheese sauce for anything before (excluding mac and cheese) because I knew the problem with having the cheese break. Problem solved. The last mac and cheese I made was really good, but it broke. That'll never happen again. My mac and cheese will remain creamy from day one to the end of the leftovers and even out of the microwave.

Tomorrow I plan to make a grilled cheese for breakfast to see how it behaves there. I expect no problems.

Today I was just seeing what the sodium citrate (SC) would do. Making process cheese out of real cheese is about as tough as it gets. Try melting cheddar in a saucepan and see what happens. You'll get a mass of protein, water, and whatever in one mass, and the rest will be butterfat (oil) since it'll break at the drop of a hat once melted.

Using SC opens up a lot of possibilities. Cheese mixed with spices and allowed to firm up. My wife and I were discussing it and making our own cheese mixed with habaneros is high on our to do list. We can buy cheddar and habaneros, but not provolone and habaneros; it's up to us to make it. Now we can. Or cheddar and bacon. I hate to even mention the next to give the wrong impression... homemade velveeta, but not the junk that's sold commercially. Velveeta made with real cheese; out of something worth eating. Not very high on our list, but possible.

When we were kicking around possibilities I realized that I could make my own blue cheese rounds for burgers and they would melt nicely in use and be easy to handle. Or make golfball size cheese puffs (pate a choux) and pump them full of real cheese, not a mousse, that will remain soft at room temperature. I never heard of such a thing, but I'd make them in a heartbeat for a party because now I can. I know they'd be a hit because it's never been done before that I know of. Anyone who knows cheese would eat one and wonder, "now how the heck did he do that?". Many possibilities; too many to list them all.

My point was the very fact of the possibilities it opens up. It's like Sous Vide. Until one gets ones feet wet to see what it will do it's sort of, "OK, but what's it good for?". Having once experienced it as the cook one begins to understand. Couple it with other modernist techniques and it blooms. Such as the SC cheese mix put into a bag in the SV bath to keep it warm for pumping into pate a choux. Or making mashed potatoes just as creamy as one makes with lots of dairy (yet containing no dairy) in the SV bath just by adding some natural wheat enzyme and allowing it time to work in the SV bath. One makes the wheat enzyme; yet another technique. If one knows the basic technique of malting barley one can make the wheat enzyme since the technique is identical, yes the wheat is sweet from wheat malt. Technique builds on technique. Each technique has a cascade effect and doesn't stop with what has been learned, at least if it's basic technique we're discussing.

Sorry. I certainly can go on and on and on. I need sleep. 'later.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Brian, thanks so much for the explanation and the inspiration. You now have my curiosity piqued. This is now on my eventually to-do list. Probably sooner rather than later as I use cheese melted in cooking preparation a lot.

In the mean time I am impatient so what time should we be there for supper? :D

Thanks much I really enjoyed this recipe process and uses.

Chris