Spanish peanuts, oven roasted

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Spanish peanuts, oven roasted

Post by brothers »

All my life I've loved salted roasted spanish peanuts (shelled). There was a time peanuts were a common crop in this area. Most family farms had a peanut patch somewhere out back. I remember quite well learning how peanuts were harvested as a little guy in my grandfather's peanut patch.

Preheat oven to 400F. Use 1 pound of fresh shelled raw spanish peanuts.
Prepare the pan by lining it with parchment paper. Use the large rectangular pan (cookie sheet?) so there's enough room for the peanuts to spread out so there's only one layer.
Prepare the raw peanuts by placing them in a large resealable (1 gallon size, if available) plastic bag along with a tablespoon or so of (Grapeseed in my case) oil and salt to suit your own taste. Shake the bag vigorously for a couple of minutes or so to evenly distribute the oil and salt, and let them sit for a few minutes before spreading them out on the parchment paper in the pan.
Place them into the oven to cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F. Keep a close eye on the peanuts as they start to cook.
You might want to experiment with shorter or longer cooking times and temperatures, depending on your personal preferences for taste, crispness and appearance.
Sometimes I put them back in the oven if I think they might benefit from one more minute of cooking. When these little guys are cooking, it happens very fast, and one minute can make a big difference. Overcooking can ruin the whole batch in just a few brief moments of inattention.
Every few weeks or months I get a craving for some peanuts. Something to do with body chemistry, I suppose.
Enjoy!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Spanish peanuts, oven roasted

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks Gary. Im going to give this a whirl

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I was really surprised to see Spanish peanuts account for only 4% of peanut production. https://www.peanutsusa.com/about-peanut ... ction.html
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

The last time I grew peanuts I was a little tyke living 550 miles south of my present abode.

I no longer roast peanuts since I buy them pre-roasted but I ALWAYS roast other raw nuts. It makes all nuts taste better.

Some day I would love to taste goober peas. That's something I can't get here and have never tasted.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gary, you've made me hungry!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Gary,

For all the great shaving tips you have posted on this site, for the empty Brut deodorant stick containers you have sent me I thank you.

But you have just lost all that good will by posting about peanuts, and nuts in general. I love them can't get enough of them. That was until mid-June when I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease and told to get my potassium levels down. That meant no peanuts or nuts of any kind. I can live with out the bananas, tomatoes, potatoes, green leafy lettuces and all but being without my peanuts and other nuts is driving me "nuts" so when I see this post I just want to cry and come after you! :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I've also always loved roasted peanuts... I'll give this one a try soon!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bryce, if giving up nuts is going to be good for you, then I reckon you have no choice in the matter! Strange how certain foods can have such dramatic effects. Here's wishing you nothing but good health and happiness! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been a very long time since I was in the mood for some fresh roasted spanish peanuts. Bought a pound yesterday and roasted them just a few minutes ago. Delicious! If I do say so myself. My body chemistry starts telling me when it's time to eat some more peanuts and then after just a few days, tells me to stop when I've had enough. I try to pay attention to these signals.
Gary