Hearty breakfast cookies

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Hearty breakfast cookies

Post by ShadowsDad »

Since I've started competitive handgun shooting again and I'm waking up early once again I needed a fast, but good breakfast. I've made these years ago for the same reason when I was punching a time clock. They're delicious and a one handed meal that one can grab and eat while on the run.

Hearty Cookies for Breakfast

I think of these cookies as “soft granola”. They’d even be good as an afternoon snack, and they’re actually good for the snacker! The only “junk” is the brown sugar. It's also extremely easy to make requiring nothing special in the way of equipment.

Serves : 24
Prep. Time : 0:35

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup Coconut oil OR sub 2/3 cup butter OR margarine - softened (10 2/3 TBL)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar or succanat
1 egg OR equivalent of egg substitute
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 med. apple - peeled, cored, chopped (I use 4ozs of applesauce)
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup shredded Colby OR cheddar cheese - optional
1 cup raisins
2 cups of roasted and very finely chopped nuts: hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, coconut. Tip: I use a tiny food processor and I stop processing the nut meats are just shy of being a butter.

optional: 1 cup shredded Colby or mild cheddar cheese

-Mix together flour, cinnamon, and baking powder.
-Stir in butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.
-Stir in apple, oatmeal, cheese, nuts, and raisins.
-Drop by tablespoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
-Bake in 375 degree oven for 15 minutes.
-Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

This recipe doubles or even triples nicely.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Hearty breakfast cookies

Post by drmoss_ca »

I made these this morning and they have just cooled enough to sample. Delicious! I used a 100ml single serving of blueberry flavoured applesauce instead of straight apple, and strong grated cheddar. I'll definitely make them again, so thanks for the recipe!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

My pleasure!
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I wanted to make a loaf of bread today, but with the holiday most of it would probably stale before it could be eaten. Instead I made a batch of these cookies. But always being one to tinker with the recipe I added chopped dates, the same quantity as the raisins. I also have never added cheese to the mix before. This time I did. I couldn't even tell it was there by using the tastebuds. It can be seen though.

I wanted to make a batch of these 2 months ago...finally. They'll do as part of a small breakfast on Christmas morning.
Brian