Chickpea Curry

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Chickpea Curry

Post by drmoss_ca »

I know next to nothing about curries made with meats, but any vegetable-based dish I can do. There will be few ingredient amounts here as it doesn't matter about precision and I just use what I have.

Basic curry starting procedure
I use a big non-stick wok with a lid for this. I put olive oil in the pan about two 'glugs' or a 1/4 cup. Butter would be more authentic, being closer to ghee, but costs more and isn't so healthy. Turn heat on full and add as much curry powder as you think you will need - probably about 3 TBSP. I generally buy Jamaican curry powder when in Toronto, as the Malaysian style stuff around here is too tame. Don't worry, we'll warm it up and adjust flavours later. Let the powder fry briefly, but it isn't to burn. Add a finely chopped large onion. When this begins to brown it's time to add whatever other ingredients you decide to use. Yesterday I added some sliced carrots, a cup of frozen peas, a handful of raisins and a handful of fresh cilantro leaves. Then I put in the chickpeas. I had soaked two cupfuls in water overnight, cooked them in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes, then drained and added them. Stir and assess the need for more liquid. Yesterday I used a tin of curry sauce, but I happened to have one and it's easy. If you don't have one, water, milk and more curry powder will make up the difference. Now to adjust the flavour. I keep ground cardamom, cumin and coriander to add as I think fit to adjust the taste. The basic curry powder is simply these three things mixed! Best to taste them and decide what you think you need more of. Yesterday I needed some heat, and I used about a teaspoon of scotch bonnet sauce (all heat and no flavour, useless for anything else) and a good squirt of Sri-Racha sauce. I could have used chili powder, mustard powder, paprika, cayenne, but again you decide as you go along. I like curry to have some sweetness in it, and that's where the raisins come in - they will soak up and swell with curry flavour. Another trick is to add a couple of teaspoons of lemon marmalade (seriously - it's good!) Milk, esp whole milk can be used to blunt the heat, and if you use cream you can make more of a korma style curry. I left it on low heat with a lid on and a stirring spoon under the edge of the lid for most of the day. This way it could meld the flavours together and still keep most of the moisture as it would condense on the lid and drip back in. I stirred it every hour or so.

Serve on simple white rice. If you used fresh cilantro, now is a great time to sprinkle what's left on top. You can serve naan bread or pappadums if you're hungry or need to stretch it out. You should have some mango chutney - the sweet Major Grey is generally popular, but a sour chutney (achaar) is a nice option but can be an acquired taste. If you're a fan of the Malaysian style of curry you will want some sambals - little dishes of things to sprinkle on your curry (peanuts, coconut, sliced banana, apple, raisins, dried fish - ikan bilis). But this is dressing it up; you have a satisfying meal with the curry and rice alone. The ikan bilis reminds me, fish curries are much underused. You need a meaty firm fish - mackerel is actually great for it and very cheap in season. Gut, cut into chunks across the body, and fry in a hot pan. Peel the skin off and fry until just browning and crispy on the outside, then add to the curry base. (I think if you were to use lamb/beef or chicken you would set about it the same way. Lamb curry just isn't going to happen at home, but is what I always order when I go to an Indian restaurant. So happy lamb didn't catch on in north America, all the more for me!)

As I say, I don't use any recipes for this, and just make it as it comes out each time. You can curry just about anything - even straight vegetables, but you don't want it bland or boring. Always taste and adjust, and you should hardly add salt at all, if any - it isn't needed. Black pepper, sure. And make enough to have some the next day. It always tastes better the next day!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Chickpea Curry

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks. Getting good curry dishes around my neck of the woods is impossible

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

For a guy named Ravi, I'm absolutely cr*p at making Indian food (I go to mum's house) - so very much appreciate some of the neat twists you've suggested Chris - also VERY impressed you use ikan bills! I was born in Kuala Lumpur and love the anise flavour of a Malaysian curry!
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

nice to see you out and about ravi...next time youre at your mom's for curry, feel free to fedex leftovers LOL

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

fallingwickets wrote:nice to see you out and about ravi...next time youre at your mom's for curry, feel free to fedex leftovers LOL

clive
Get in line Clive! :D
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Nothing beats a good Madras curry, or any other curry for that matter.
Bryan