Liege Waffles

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
dosco

Liege Waffles

Post by dosco »

Made some Liege waffles the other day using this recipe.

I deviated from the recipe by using some starter instead of commercial yeast. I made a stiff preferment and after it doubled in bulk I scooped out a generous tablespoon full and went forward with the recipe. The bulk fermentation was about 8 hours in a very warm room, followed by the called-for retardation in the fridge.

I went wrong with the pearl sugar. I was able to knead it into the dough by hand, and I let it rest about 6 hours in the fridge (which was a mistake). When I removed it to divide into 5 pieces, there was a puddle of liquid at the bottom of the bowl - I tasted a bit and it was sweet, apparently the pearl sugar drew some moisture and dissolved. Ugh.

Well, might as well move forward so I divided it and let the smaller pieces rest in my laundry rooom which is quite cold this time of year (poorly designed/insulated 1960s era home).

I fired up my 20-year-old commercial "Belgian waffle iron" (not a sexy Krampouz) this morning, took one of the dough balls (that had risen ever so slightly overnight), pressed in a small spoonful of pearl sugar (to compensate for that which dissolved), and placed the ball in the iron.

The result was quite nice. Coming off the iron the waffle seemed to be limp/floppy but after it cooled for a minute or two the sugary outer crust hardened nicely and the waffle stiffened. The waffle was very tasty and I enjoyed one with a cup of coffee. In the pic the blackened parts weren't burnt, it was the pearl sugar that had caramelized and darkened.

My daughters also had some for breakfast and they both enjoyed them. My wife had a bite and said that she thought they were good (she has some gluten tolerance problems so all she could have was 1 bite).

The next time I make these I will only knead in the pearl sugar when I'm definitely ready to cook within 1 or 2 hours afterwards.

Cheers-
Dave

ShadowsDad

Re: Liege Waffles

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting. I've heard of the Liege version of Belgian waffles but never made them because of the pearl sugar.

I remember the first BWs I ever ate at the NY worlds fair when I was a child. They were loaded with whipped cream and strawberries; absolutely delicious. I know I've never had the Liege version. They sound interesting.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
dosco

Post by dosco »

The pearl sugar wasn't really a big deal ... I ordered some online and it was reasonably inexpensive.

Kneading it into the dough was also quite simple.

As I mentioned the only problem was that I waited too long after kneading in the pearl sugar ... it mostly dissolved.

Other than that, it was rather easy/simple.

If you try it, I'd be interested in hearing your results.

-Dave
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

They look tasty, nice job there! As a side note, I believe Liege or Belgian Waffles are more accurately referred to as Gauffres - I definitely prefer these over the traditional waffles.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage