Pepper "salad"

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
ShadowsDad

Pepper "salad"

Post by ShadowsDad »

This is so easy I hesitate to call it a recipe. I saw it on a PBS BBQ show (Raichlin?). It's more of a technique.

I absolutely guarantee you that you can make this. You say you burn things when you cook them? Excellent! Then you already know how to make this!

It starts will whole peppers of your choice. The show suggested a mix of green and red peppers, so that's what I used. The next thing you need is a heat source. I used our IR broiler, but a gas cooktop could be used, as could probably a propane or butane torch. A wood fire would definitely work as would a charcoal fire.

Take the peppers and char them. You want them to be very black. They will also smoke a bit. Relax, you must do this and in fact you want the smoke as it's part of the flavor you desire. You almost can't char them enough. After the peppers are fully blackened set them to the side to cool. Be careful of the juices inside, it could still be hot if not given plenty of time to cool down. When cool remove the charring and the skin. It should come off very easily; if it doesn't you didn't char them enough. Then stem and seed the peppers, cut into sizes that you want, and sprinkle with S&P and a bit of EVOO. I added some aged balsamic vinegar, but I don't see that it did much other than get in the way.

This results in a slightly smoky, tender cooked, but still very fleshy pepper dish. The wife and I both agreed that we liked it but that we wouldn't want it every day. It far exceeded my expectations. I'd definitely make it again.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square