Yesterday's Mardi Gras family dinner

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

Yesterday's Mardi Gras family dinner

Post by brothers »

My wife can't resist the joy of having the whole family over for an amazing dinner whenever possible. Of course, she jumped at the chance for Mardi Gras. The guest of honor was grandchild #6, just 5 days old and still working on finding her voice among the high-decible roaring chorus of all the rest of us. With our family ties to south Louisiana, you can bet we had an amazing feast. She made a huge pot, about 4 gallons, of chicken and sausage gumbo with okra and rice, and an enormous platter of cajun chicken with red, green, and yellow pepper fettucini pasta, whole grain chiabata bread on the side, with a nice green salad. Needless to say, a good time was had by all. Of course, there were plenty of cold beverages and fruit of the vine, for those so inclined. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Yesterday's Mardi Gras family dinner

Post by jww »

Never had gumbo before in my life -- but the meal and the company sounds wonderful.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Gary, you make my mouth water. When I worked in Houston I had a few clients in New Orleans and environs and thus developed a real taste for Cajun and creole cooking. I still love a big pot of boiled mudbugs/crawdads, a whole deep-fried catfish, a big bowl of gumbo, jambalaya and a platter of raw Gulf Coast oysters. Now I'm going to have to make myself something to eat, but it won't be any of that unfortunately; probably a toasted sardine sandwich.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Oh, I forgot to mention we had 2 King cakes. The 10 year old grandson managed to "find" the baby. (The one hidden in the cake, not the one with diapers!)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444