Steak knives

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Steak knives

Post by Sam »

I am looking for an inexpensive set of four or eight steak knives that are going to be able to be washed in a dishwasher. I know I can find a set of 4 for $14.99 at Marshalls or TJ Maxx, but I am concerned about their durability and they're cutting ability. Direct me to a website or something that may be at Macy's
ThePossum

Re: Steak knives

Post by ThePossum »

Sam,

I have a set of 4 of these: Chicago Cutlery Walnut Tradition Steak Knives. Not something that you would put in the dishwasher. In fact I do not put any knife in the dishwasher other than the regular table knife. Got to treat those wonderful cooking implements gently.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

From what I've read, the heat in a dishwasher can potentially compromise the temper of fine cutlery steel. Additionally, if the knives are left to rattle around with flatware and such in the dishwasher, the cutting edges will be damaged. You wouldn't treat your razors with such wanton disregard, so don't do it with quality cutlery, either. Otherwise, just buy cheap steak knives that are rated dishwasher safe, let them gradually deteriorate, and replace them periodically.

(I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, Sam. A pet peeve of mine is the practice of throwing good cutlery into the dishwasher. I rather treasure my collection of nice kitchen knives and I can't imagine throwing any of them into the dishwasher any more than any of our members would consider doing such with a nice straight razor.)

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'd stay away from knives with stamped blades and only buy those with forged blades and full tangs. As with most other things, you generally get what you pay for although price alone is no guarantee of quality. I'd go with something from Henckels or Wusthof; they'll last a lifetime, retain a cutting edge and look good to boot. Oh yes, and keep them as far away from a dishwasher as you can.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have seen some henckles at Macy's. Any one care to link me to some desireable ones at Amazon?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Go here and take your pick --- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... eak+knives

I think I prefer the wooden handles, and the 8 knife set in the wooden box seems pretty classy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

brothers wrote:Go here and take your pick --- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... eak+knives

I think I prefer the wooden handles, and the 8 knife set in the wooden box seems pretty classy.
I'd not go with the Henckles International line since this is their "budget" offering and has stamped blades. The boxed set mentioned by brothers @$89.99 for 8 looks promising, but I'd check on the Henckles website if they're forged, full tang blades. Perhaps I'm being too AR about this, but I do have a "thing" about quality knives. :mrgreen:
Bryan
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

"First prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired. "
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

The only time I've won anything it was a set of steak knives. The first time I used them the blade broke on one. :?
Bryan
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I have quality knives of both the forged and the stamped varieties. I have no reason to believe that the steel of quality stamped knives is lower than that of forged knives. In fact, in some cases, I actually prefer the stamped knives of a given manufacturer to their forged models. High quality cutlery steel comes in both forged and stamped versions.

- Murray
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:
brothers wrote:Go here and take your pick --- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... eak+knives

I'd not go with the Henckles International line since this is their "budget" offering and has stamped blades. The boxed set mentioned by brothers @$89.99 for 8 looks promising, but I'd check on the Henckles website if they're forged, full tang blades. Perhaps I'm being too AR about this, but I do have a "thing" about quality knives. :mrgreen:
I must correct myself: Some of the Henckles International knives are hot-dropped forged and made in Spain. As is the case with their hot-dropped forged knives made in Germany, they have a bolster and full tang. They are less expensive than the German-made knives and thus could be good value.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Ok, I see some that are 8 for like $40. Good value? WOuld I be much better off getting say the 8 for $89? Or Langouile? Serrated or not, and I do have a Spyerdo sharpening system
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Spanish steel is good stuff, and they know how to make knives.

Forschner also makes a good knife. I use their kitchen knives and they are excellent quality for not a huge outlay. Even their stamped steel paring knives are better than most and they only cost a few dollars. I don't know if they make a steak knife though. It might be worth googling.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorino ... eak-knives

Their plastic handled knives are at the bottom of the page. Their plastic handles are very good but of course rosewood is beautiful, and you pay for it. I didn't spend much time googling to find that link so you'll probably turn up more with a good search.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square