I tried my hand at freehanding a sauce

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

I tried my hand at freehanding a sauce

Post by Sam »

I tend to be heavy handed with seasoningss and not really grasping how seasoning interplays. I was taking a small cast iron skillet on the BBQ grill. Minced up some fresh garlic (3 cloves), in some butter. Added pepper. Then added some white muchrooms I bought fresh. That sauteed down, and added about 3, 4 ounces of sour cream, and some red pepper flakes, chili powder, and lately, added some horseradish sauce (it is like a cream sauce you find over by the mayonnaise), about two or three tablespoons. Let that cook in the cast iron. Tended to be runny one night and last night I added in some flour, but too much.

Anyway, use that over chicken or pork and wow, I surprised myself and even my wife. Pretty darn good and not too spicy, but it does pick your taste buds up.

I guess sometimes it is neat to stumble on something like I did. I really surprised myself. I usually have gone to the Internet and gotten recipes, like I did to make some Mexican corn on the grill, using a Martha stewart recipe.
ShadowsDad

Re: I tried my hand at freehanding a sauce

Post by ShadowsDad »

Sounds good Sam! I need to try that.

I find with Q, especially if it's smoked, one can be pretty much as heavy handed as one wants. I make pastrami and I'm extremely heavy handed with the spices and give it plenty of time to soak into the meat and the smoke just tames it all down. Just delicious! Easy to make too. Dang! I'm salivating at the thought. I need to turn some corned beef into pastrami soon.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: I tried my hand at freehanding a sauce

Post by fallingwickets »

This might be of interest to Sam and everyone else that plays in the kitchen:

Five Sauces for the Modern Cook
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/dinin ... cipes.html

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum