Fried Green Tomatoes

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Fried Green Tomatoes

Post by drmoss_ca »

We're beginning to get hard frosts, so the remaining tomato plants were uprooted today and the unripe tomatoes had to be dealt with somehow. "Fried green tomatoes" said the boss, of whom it might be truthfully said that the movie of that name was the last she had watched, and on VHS at that. After some grumbling, I did some research. That story was based upon a real café that is said to use 135lb of green tomatoes each day for these snacky starters. Their recipe is available, and like so much southern cooking, involves bacon grease, cornmeal and salt. Well, no one lives forever! - let's give it a try!

The tomatoes are fried in a batter of flour, cornmeal, and egg, seasoned with some salt and pepper. We rely on the heated tomatoes undergoing some form of the Maillard reaction to become sweet. The recipe from southernliving.com goes like this:

1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided into two 1/4 cup portions
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/3-inch slices
Vegetable oil (no bacon grease for the boss, so I used a mix of olive and peanut oils)
Salt to taste

Preparation
Combine egg and buttermilk; set aside.
Combine 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl or pan.
Dredge tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
Pour oil to a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Drop tomatoes, in batches, into hot oil, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels or a rack. Sprinkle hot tomatoes with salt.

I found three minutes each side worked better on my stove. There was some left over batter mix even after doing thrice as many tomatoes as the recipe recommended, so I decided to mix the remaining flour, egg/buttermilk, and cornmeal mixes and fry up the king of all hushpuppies. I added a few drops of smoke flavouring to the oil before I fried the hushpuppy, just for fun.
DSC_0391.jpg
DSC_0391.jpg (144.25 KiB) Viewed 3991 times
There you see a couple more tomatoes and some cape gooseberries, some of the fried green tomatoes and some of the hushpuppy that has not yet been torn up and eaten. The last is way too salty - the salt in it is to season the batter on a fried tomato, but by itself it is too much. But, waste not, want not. If I ever do this again, I swear I will mix some parmesan cheese in with the cornmeal. That begins to get interesting.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Re: Fried Green Tomatoes

Post by ShadowsDad »

So did you like them? Never tried them myself, but the concept of 'waste not want not ' has always interested me come our first hard frost.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Wife was very keen. I'm not so enamoured of fried things as my guts don't handle fat so well. Tasted yummy though!

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote:Wife was very keen. I'm not so enamoured of fried things as my guts don't handle fat so well. Tasted yummy though!

C.
I too have been tempted to try this dish, but I don't handle fried food well and avoid it. But there is something alluring about fried green tomatoes; the movie perhaps?
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Got my taste buds going off on a tangent here :D

I could eat fried foods ALL day long. thankfully Im too lazy to clean up the mess afterwards and so i'm saved from the clogged arteries!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum