Dishwashing Machine Trick

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
EL Alamein

Dishwashing Machine Trick

Post by EL Alamein »

Please move if not in the appropriate forum. I didn't know where to post it but wanted to tie it to cooking so here's my first go.

If you have hard water add dishwashing liquid to the pre-wash chamber. We load ours until it's burgeoning. It works a treat to help get those dishes extra clean. We use concentrated Dawn Dishwashing liquid which works even better than if we used dishwasher detergent for some reason. For the actual wash cycle we use the Cascade Ultimate packets.

CAUTION: if you have soft water adding this could be a disaster as it may fill your kitchen with suds! So testing this first is essential. If you have very hard water you can load it up to the max, if not you've got to determine how much you can use, if any, to help get those dishes extra clean.

Hope this helps someone.

Chris
Gene

Re: Dishwashing Machine Trick

Post by Gene »

Living in the Texas hill country is an experience in dealing with hard water.

That sounds like a net trick - hope it helps someone. We have a water softener at the house. I sometimes think it spoils me - my shaves when I travel are always in water harder than I have at home - and I can feel the difference.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Our water is extremely hard here. You could mine it with a pick and shovel.

We use FINISH brand liquid. In the dishwasher, pou it in the dishwasher's rinse-aid compartment, and a couple tablespoons lasts our household of 2 people about a month. Bonus tip - we use it in the shower, one part finish and 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Spray lightly on the inside of glass shower door. Water drops that would otherwise create film on the door -- they just sheet off, like water on a freshly waxes car. Saves a TON of work. You can also spray on bathroom sink faucets to keep them sparkly clean.
brothers

Post by brothers »

These are some good tips. Thx!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Hey, that Finish tip is awesome! I'm going to try it, thanks!

Chris